Review by Michgal 32 -- McDowell by William H. Coles

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Michgal 32
Currently Reading: Who Told You That You Were Naked?
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michgal-32.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Review by Michgal 32 -- McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by Michgal 32 » 21 Dec 2018, 02:16

[Following is a volunteer review of "McDowell" by William H. Coles.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

McDowell by William H. Coles

Hiram is a surgeon who has made many mistakes in life. He has had two broken marriages and children who are not so close to him but who he loves a lot. He is that man who does anything to get what he wants especially power and this becomes the beginning of his downfall when he shortchanges a colleague during elections.

His grandson dies and he is accused of his murder even though according to him, he was just helping the boy. Hiram is on the run because of this plus other accusations. How will he survive? Will he get caught? How does he manage to live the life of a fugitive?

McDowell is writing his memoir which seemed to represent his life. Others also try to write their versions of his life, but do not agree on the best way to tell his story until it becomes clear that no one really knows what the story is. They can only try to connect the dots on his journey of life, even though they’re missing most of the dots.

McDowell by William H. Coles is a story filled with a lot of mixed feelings. Hiram is selfish and arrogant and yet there is something about him that makes one not hate him wholeheartedly. He is wrong on so many things and yet he is right in bringing his children to a steady life from their relations. He considers himself a victim of circumstances and does not take any responsibility of his wrongdoings. He tries to redeem himself in the second half by caring about the people he meets.

I like the way the characters are well developed. Each character feels unique and three-dimensional. The book seems to have been well edited since I did not get hold of any grammatical errors.

I found the book interesting. I did enjoy the evolution of Hiram. Seeing him change, was the best part of the book for me. I however did not like how it switched from one character to another in each chapter. I felt it made the story harder to follow and keep track of.

I would gladly rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. Coles has given us a book so engrossing that one keeps turning the pages. It clearly gives chronicles of how even the worst of human beings can change for the better and live a more fulfilling and upright life. I therefore recommend this book to everyone

McDowell
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords

Like Michgal 32's review? Post a comment saying so!

Sushan
2019 Reading Goal: 10
2018 Reading Goal: 10
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 230
2017 Reading Goal: 0
Currently Reading: There and Back There Again
Bookshelf Size: 174
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by Sushan » 28 Dec 2018, 19:35

This is a book that recently discussed by many. It is good to see another view. Thank you 👍👍
"He has a right to criticize, who has a heart to help"

Abraham Lincoln

:techie-studyingbrown: $u$han €kanayak€ :techie-studyingbrown:

Caylie_Cat
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-caylie-cat.html
Latest Review: The Traveler's Best Seller by Rick Incorvia

Post by Caylie_Cat » 28 Dec 2018, 20:22

It is amazing how every reviewer of this book sees something different and unique about it - well done!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”