Official Review: The Outlandish and the Ego

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
ritah
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 03345">The Darziods' Stone</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 184
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ritah.html
Latest Review: The Secrets To Living A Fantastic Life... by Dr. Allen Lycka & Harriet Tinka

Official Review: The Outlandish and the Ego

Post by ritah »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Outlandish and the Ego" by O. Ryan Hussain.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

In a new genre of literature, the author categorizes his book as a ‘Political Erotica’. Largely due to the author’s unique writing style, The Outlandish and the Ego by O. Ryan Hussain is like nothing I’ve ever read. Much more than a political satire laced with lewd humor, the narrative takes aim, filled with harsh truths, at the political system, electable figures, the media, mental health, and policing that affect the world today.

On the Outlandish front, Samuel’s mind is haunted by demon gnomes who terrorize him, chipping away at the little sanity he has left. His friend, Roger, on the other hand, is an Indiana-bred pseudo-Russian who genuinely believes that he can turn invisible at will. With the spies and the demon forces’ bombs closing in on them, they set out on a mission to locate the Signal and obey it, believing that this would earn them their freedom from the evil dwarfs.

On the Ego’s plane, senior advisers (the Aide, the Press Secretary, and the Campaign Manager) to the President employ ruthless and underhanded tactics toward deals that would ensure four more years for their candidate. However, secret dealings among the group with outsiders cause strife within the team. Unperturbed to changes on his playing field, the Aide remains determined to have his president reelected. He does all he can and puts everything on the line through his drastic actions to hold on to the strings of power.

This is a masterfully crafted narrative full of twists and turns that kept me turning pages with bated breath for what would happen next. The author’s impeccable writing style, the characters eccentricities, and extremities – coupled with the hyperbolic situations the characters would often find themselves in – fascinated me. The underlying mostly political and some social commentary intrigued me as well. All these elements made this novel a fun, entertaining, and exciting read. In addition, the sarcasm and endless humor in the dialogues and situations made for many laugh-out-loud moments, while certain aspects of the story inspired deep thought and reflection, which made this novel a total win for me.

The narrative alternates its focus between the President’s team and Samuel and his friend, Roger, interchangeably. I love stories that switch focus because for me (when done right), it almost always builds suspense, keeping things interesting. The choice to use third-person for this story worked well because it gave a wide-angle view on a number of the characters’ persona based on their relation to other characters. Towards the end, the two stories came together in the most unexpected way, leading up to a brilliant and explosive ending that left me in awe.

There were few errors found in this otherwise well-written impressive novel. The errors found consisted of a missing preposition, as well as several incorrectly positioned and missing pronouns. Nevertheless, the total number of errors counted were not enough to impact my final rating, which is why I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. This is an author I’ll be keeping my eyes on, and I can’t recommend this book enough. Those who enjoy political satire and effortless comedy will love and appreciate The Outlandish and the Ego.

The Outlandish and the Ego
View: on Bookshelves

Like ritah's review? Post a comment saying so!
SpencerVo
Favorite Book: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spencervo.html
Latest Review: Lola the Buhund and the Father of Discord by Elbot Carman

Post by SpencerVo »

This sounds like a very creative and intriguing novel. I love books that have a light and entertaining approach but still manage to ruthlessly criticize and jab at the system. Therefore, I will definitely check this out in the future. Thank you for this lovely review!
It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

If you like political satire, this book would very likely appeal to you. I, however, do not. I'm not at all entranced by the words political erotica, so I'm definitely going to avoid this one. Glad that you found it enjoyable, though. Thanks for the information.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Alicia09
Currently Reading: The Cartel Crusher
Bookshelf Size: 270
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alicia09.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by Alicia09 »

I'm currently reading Kennedy's Revenge, which also is a book that has two separate stories. Yet I find it interesting that The Outlandish and the Ego has the two stories that come together in the end, because most of the books I've read have stories that alternate from chapter to chapter. As for the story, my first reaction was that these characters must be on some serious psychotropic drugs to be having hallucinations on this level. Yet considering that this is a political satire/comedy, I would guess that anything goes as far as material. I may not read this, but I appreciate your review. Thanks!
:character-ariel:
daydreaming reader
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-daydreaming-reader.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by daydreaming reader »

This is the first time I have ever seen the term "Political erotica" used anywhere. That said, I am not really a fan of political themes. Thank you for your thorough review.
"Without chaos, there can be no order"
- Heath D. Alberts
"You must have chaos within you to give birth to a dancing star."
Friedrich Nietzsche
Ice dragon
Currently Reading: The last oracle
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ice-dragon.html
Latest Review: Gringo by Dan "Tito" Davis

Post by Ice dragon »

Sounds really cool and intelligently written. It's certainly piqued my interests.
C-Extra22
Currently Reading: Blessed By the darkness
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-c-extra22.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by C-Extra22 »

This story has a unique appeal on different levels. Exceptional review.
Sweet Psamy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sweet-psamy.html
Latest Review: Lost and Love: Thailand (Book One of the Lost and Love Series) by Stella Knights

Post by Sweet Psamy »

I don't like political satires. I would prefer if those truths are presented in a different manner.All the same, your review is quite insightful.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”