Official Review: I by Zeyan Zyrus

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Shrabastee Chakraborty
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Warramunga's War
Currently Reading: Timewise
Bookshelf Size: 1153
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shrabastee-chakraborty.html
Latest Review: The Infinite Passion of Life by D.J. Paolini

Official Review: I by Zeyan Zyrus

Post by Shrabastee Chakraborty »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "I" by Zeyan Zyrus.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

What I thought about was my feelings and what I felt was my thoughts
Zeyan Zyrus deftly articulates his thoughts and feelings in I, a collection of page-long soliloquies. It is difficult to specify a genre for this book. Some of the monologues resemble memoirs, while others are accounts of ordinary incidents. Several stories seem to narrate a dystopian world. My personal favorites are “Curseday”, “Orbis”, and “A treehouse”, to name a few. The first one shows an aged male lamenting his dead twin. The second story reflects a world where women are kidnapped and are taught to fight for themselves in a secret facility. The third one is a memoir recounting the boundless energy and freedom of one’s childhood.

The author’s writing style is unique. With dreamy sentences and a multitude of imagery, this book demands a place somewhere between prose and poetry. It resembles an abstract painting where one color seamlessly mixes into another. The narratives often alternate between a third-person perspective and a first-person perspective. Some of the stories even end in incomplete sentences.

Startling titles like “The Belly Button of the Sky” and “Intergalactic Memorandum” pique the reader’s intrigue. The unique word choice is another point worth mentioning. ”Longstanding curtains” and “shoreless ocean or oceanless shore” convey the idea of a monotonous day. At one place, the binary system is described as “Zeros Rendezvous Ones.”

The imagery of the book was beautiful and vivid. The reader is able to visualize the scenes through Zyrus’s words. For example, the author describes the setting sun as
The demure lady… trying to hide again.
In another story, the sun is
vomit-yellow wrapped by a polluted haze, over the skyscrapers.
The core theme of the book is human life. The inconsistency of life and the inevitability of death emerge repeatedly throughout the book. In many of the pieces, the characters are overloaded with the burdens of life. Not fully living but barely surviving, they spend the days waiting for death, the final respite.
I say this is life, good things could happen, bad things will, all that can be joyful are short, never easy to start never easy to end, in between we mostly put our heads to rest or try so hard for nothing substantial
There is an undercurrent of depression in almost all the stories. Many of them recount how our lives represent absolutely nothing in the grand scheme of things. Our lifelong search for meaning proves futile as we gradually blend into oblivion.

Yet Zyrus longs for the transient pleasure derived from our mundane existence, the lures that bind us to life. Many of the characters, therefore, embrace life despite its fleeting nature. He declares that
love has turned out to be the treatment for the cancer of existence.
One theme repeatedly appearing in the book is the absence of God in our daily life. More than once, God is portrayed as the creator (with a small c) and an observer, but never our leader. However, I would leave the judgment to the readers.

The best part about the book is the symbolism. Zyrus frequently reveals familiar objects in a unique light. Sometimes, a tireless typewriter and a lonely mannequin become symbolic of our seemingly busy but intrinsically meaningless life. Occasionally, re-reading some parts of the book unveiled a completely different meaning to me.

However, my reading experience is not without complaints. First of all, the book was excessively lengthy, especially with most stories reflecting an almost similar theme. Moreover, the pace of the book was excruciatingly slow for my choice. Occasionally, it was hard to glean meaning from the long-winded sentences. I often had to re-read entire paragraphs. In addition, the word count per page is extremely high. For a book of this length, an index would also be preferable.

Considering the above-mentioned points, I rate the book 3 out of 4 stars. From a technical standpoint, there are a few typing errors. The thoughts and feelings conveyed in I require a mature audience. Moreover, many of the stories contain explicit scenes unsuitable for young readers. Devout believers in God might find some ideas offensive. I would recommend this book to those who enjoy leisurely reads and like to ponder over the content. Additionally, those who love poetry will appreciate this book.

I
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Shrabastee's review? Post a comment saying so!
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: People we meet on vacation
Bookshelf Size: 2398
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: You Say Goodbye by Keith Steinbaum
fav_author_id: 5604

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

The author’s writing style is unique. With dreamy sentences and a multitude of imagery, this book demands a place somewhere between prose and poetry. It resembles an abstract painting where one color seamlessly mixes into another. The narratives often alternate between a third-person perspective and a first-person perspective. Some of the stories even end in incomplete sentences.
The best part about the book is the symbolism. Zyrus frequently reveals familiar objects in a unique light. Sometimes, a tireless typewriter and a lonely mannequin become symbolic of our seemingly busy but intrinsically meaningless life. Occasionally, re-reading some parts of the book unveiled a completely different meaning to me.

Your analysis of this book is really outstanding. Your review is not only honest but you have a gift for words, you dive deep into the meaning of the book, and possess an insight that is rarely found. Thank you for an amazing review.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

This one seems a bit too high maintenance for me. It would take me too long to puzzle out the meaning. That's why I dislike poetry. I'm glad you found some stories to enjoy, but this collection isn't for me. Thanks.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cotwani.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Connie Otwani »

I love your indepth analysis and your patience in getting to the meaning of each narration. Doesn't sound like a casual read. Great review as always!
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney
MsTri
Favorite Author: Miranda Ann Markley
Favorite Book: The Spirit Seeds Book 1
Currently Reading: the Secret of Safe Passage
Bookshelf Size: 1033
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mstri.html
Latest Review: Suddenly Free, Vol. 1 by Yvette Carmon Davis
Reading Device: B07HZHJGY7
fav_author_id: 225682

Post by MsTri »

This sounds like an intriguing read, yet I'm also a little hesitant due to its length and pace as you mentioned them. Perhaps this will be a "Maybe" for me for now.
Last edited by MsTri on 17 Dec 2018, 02:40, edited 1 time in total.
Shrabastee Chakraborty

MsTri wrote: 17 Dec 2018, 02:30 This sounds like an intriguing read, yet I'm also a little hesitant due to its length as pace as you mentioned them. Perhaps this will be a "Maybe" for me for now.
Yes, the length and the pace are the weak points of this otherwise amazing book. At points, I felt frustrated that I could not make much progress with this. Thanks so much for taking the time to read the review and for providing us with your valuable comment, Ms Tri!
Shrabastee Chakraborty

Cotwani wrote: 17 Dec 2018, 01:05 I love your indepth analysis and your patience in getting to the meaning of each narration. Doesn't sound like a casual read. Great review as always!
Indeed, Connie! The book was many things, but a casual read it was not. After some time, the individual stories tend to merge with one another, but the theme remains etched in your heart. Thanks for the kind words!
Shrabastee Chakraborty

kandscreeley wrote: 16 Dec 2018, 17:58 This one seems a bit too high maintenance for me. It would take me too long to puzzle out the meaning. That's why I dislike poetry. I'm glad you found some stories to enjoy, but this collection isn't for me. Thanks.
True, reading this book can be taxing! As for me, I left it for a few days after making my way through the first couple of stories. Next time I re-read those and became depressed. It was on my third attempt that I was able to get through it, and then the book got through me! Thanks for the comment, kandscreeley!
Shrabastee Chakraborty

Lunastella wrote: 16 Dec 2018, 11:45

Your analysis of this book is really outstanding. Your review is not only honest but you have a gift for words, you dive deep into the meaning of the book, and possess an insight that is rarely found. Thank you for an amazing review.
I really wanted to express at least some of the myriad emotions this book evoked in me. Thanks so much for your kind words! I am overwhelmed!
gen_g
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

This sounds like a intriguing but heavy read indeed. I do agree that reading various stories but with the same theme would be monotonous; however, I love your detailed analysis! Thanks for the beautiful review!
Shrabastee Chakraborty

gen_g wrote: 17 Dec 2018, 05:36 This sounds like a intriguing but heavy read indeed. I do agree that reading various stories but with the same theme would be monotonous; however, I love your detailed analysis! Thanks for the beautiful review!
Thanks for your kind words, gen_g! Yes, it was a heavy read and certainly monotonous. But I am glad to have come across this book. It was unique in various ways I could not even have imagined!
Helen_Combe
Favorite Book: The Martian
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helen-combe.html
Latest Review: And The Trees Began To Move by Lisa Gammon Olson
Reading Device: B00M4L4MFC

Post by Helen_Combe »

Gosh, what mixed messages! It sounds a unique read, but hard work at the same time. Great review
A thesaurus is necessary, essential, indispensable, vital, crucial and fundamental.
Shrabastee Chakraborty

Helen_Combe wrote: 17 Dec 2018, 06:45 Gosh, what mixed messages! It sounds a unique read, but hard work at the same time. Great review
Yes, I kept wondering how I will get through the book. Fortunately, the book got through me! Thanks for the comment, Helen!
Jackie Holycross
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: 20 World Religions and Faith Practices by Robyn Lebron

Post by Jackie Holycross »

I'm not big on poetry and the I find the view of God sad, so this one is not for me.
Shrabastee Chakraborty

teacherjh wrote: 17 Dec 2018, 11:59 I'm not big on poetry and the I find the view of God sad, so this one is not for me.
I understand.. Thanks for taking the time out to comment! Much appreciated!

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”