Official Review: Killer Competition by Tom Kranz

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Ijeoma Kikelomo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ijeoma-kikelomo.html
Latest Review: Visions of Prosetry, Collector's Edition II by Vèè Nelly

Official Review: Killer Competition by Tom Kranz

Post by Ijeoma Kikelomo »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Killer Competition" by Tom Kranz.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Killer Competition by Tom Kranz is a thriller revolving around Bordon Remmick. Bordon (or ‘Bud' as used mostly in the book) is an ex-con who served a four-year-term for killing his boss. Getting out of jail Bud soon realises that he would now have to live on life’s terms – society isn’t too forgiving.

One thing led to another and Bud lands a job at his old workplace, Channel 7, as news director. The story picks up pace as barely two weeks after Bud resumes work, it begins to dawn on the news house that they may have been paying for videos recorded by a freelancer who committed the same crimes he videoed. These turn of events put Channel 7 on the news. Soon the Governor of Pennsylvania, Franklin Thomas, begins to wonder how Margaret Remmick, Bud’s wife, became executive director at Livingston County Department of Senior Services. In his opinion, the wife of an ex-con has no business occupying such a position. He vows to replace her with his own chosen ‘worthy’ candidate. That meant finding a way to justify removing her from her position, through whatsoever means possible.

Killer Competition is classified as a fiction in its description. Reading through, I realised that while that may be true, the book still held a strong semblance to reality. The characters are relatable everyday people whose feelings and views I mostly shared. The story was also well organised and progressed at a pace that just suited the plot. Divided into small chapters, Killer Competition by Tom Kranz touched themes such as redemption, forgiveness, loyalty, political tyranny and acceptance. The author's masterful use of words and description really helped make this an engaging story. It wasn’t difficult to see the world through Bud's eyes. I was let into his challenges and fears, even though he always put on a brave front.

There were, however, certain aspects I wasn’t quite satisfied with. Firstly, very few conversations took place without the use of foul language. The author's goal may have been to lend the book an air of realism, but to me, it was off-putting and completely unnecessary. The question of why Klemmer got paid $200 while other freelancers earned $100 was not answered, the author just sort of abandoned the issue. Maggie and Marjorie’s relationship wasn’t well defined. Perhaps the author plans to throw more light on that in a sequel.

Regarding grammar and punctuation, I did notice a few errors but they weren’t enough to detract from the flow of reading. In fact, I only noticed the few I did because I was searching, which means the book has been professionally edited. Another thing I noted is that the title and description of the book didn’t really match the story, they promised a fierceness that the book lacked.

Putting all these into consideration, Killer Competition is a well-written engaging book. Even though I was a little underwhelmed after reading it, it was a good book. Therefore, I rate Killer Competition by Tom Kranz as 3 out of 4 stars. The author deserves commendation on the amount of research that went into writing this book, like how emergency medical technicians work and dissociative identity disorder. It was enlightening.

I would recommend this book to lovers of crime thrillers and politics. Because of the author's use of strong language, I wouldn’t recommend this book to readers below 18.

Killer Competition
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Ijeoma Kikelomo's review? Post a comment saying so!
daydreaming reader
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-daydreaming-reader.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by daydreaming reader »

The plot seems interesting, but I agree that too much foul language can be off-putting. Regardless, thanks for the thorough review!
"Without chaos, there can be no order"
- Heath D. Alberts
"You must have chaos within you to give birth to a dancing star."
Friedrich Nietzsche
Ijeoma Kikelomo
Currently Reading:

daydreaming reader wrote: 12 Dec 2018, 13:08 The plot seems interesting, but I agree that too much foul language can be off-putting. Regardless, thanks for the thorough review!
Thanks a lot for commenting.
Book Lover 35
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-book-lover-35.html
Latest Review: VieVie La Fontaine by Linda Heavner Gerald

Post by Book Lover 35 »

It sounds like a good book with a interesting plot. The cover looks pretty cool. Thank you for the review!
:tiphat:
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

This one sounds fascinating. It seems like the author captured the essence of human nature well. I'm interested to read it despite the foul language and some unanswered questions. Thanks.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
T_stone
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-t-stone.html
Latest Review: Marketing on Fleek by Kobi Ben Meir
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by T_stone »

I like when authors do a thorough research before they write on certain topics. This book seems to be an interesting one with a fascinating plot. Good review.
Feeling upset sometimes may be unavoidable, but acting distressed is always optional.

Rob White
Ijeoma Kikelomo
Currently Reading:

Book Lover 35 wrote: 13 Dec 2018, 00:01 It sounds like a good book with a interesting plot. The cover looks pretty cool. Thank you for the review!
Thanks for your comment!
Ijeoma Kikelomo
Currently Reading:

kandscreeley wrote: 13 Dec 2018, 07:53 This one sounds fascinating. It seems like the author captured the essence of human nature well. I'm interested to read it despite the foul language and some unanswered questions. Thanks.
I'm glad you find it interesting. Thanks for commenting!
Ijeoma Kikelomo
Currently Reading:

T_stone wrote: 13 Dec 2018, 15:45 I like when authors do a thorough research before they write on certain topics. This book seems to be an interesting one with a fascinating plot. Good review.
Thanks. He even has first hand knowledge in the area of news gathering and reporting. It's no wonder he wrote on it so well.
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3040
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: Disappearance by Julien Ayotte

Post by Kibet Hillary »

Quite an elaborate and enthralling review. Thanks for the review. I will have to read this book. It sounds fascinating and I wonder how eventually the governor had his way.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
melissy370
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melissy370.html
Latest Review: Home To Kentucky by Thomas A. McCoy
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by melissy370 »

The foul language would bother me as well. I don't think the plot appeals to me anyway, so I would pass on this one. Thanks for your review.
Okafor Prosper
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 250
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-okafor-prosper.html
Latest Review: 52 Pieces: by Dr. Marina Kostina

Post by Okafor Prosper »

The plot seems interesting, but I'm not a fan of crime thrillers. Nice review though.
Nerea
Favorite Author: William H. Coles
Favorite Book: Diamond and Pearls
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 675
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nerea.html
Latest Review: Little White Lies by JC Anderson
Reading Device: Laptop
fav_author_id: 89641
Signature Addition: No Wahala

Post by Nerea »

Solid review. Am a fan of crime thriller but the authors use of strong language makes me feel some kind away.
"Regular reading improves your grammar."
No Wahala

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”