Official Review: Two Days of Christmas by Ashley Robert

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
desantismt_17
Currently Reading: When Angels Play Poker
Bookshelf Size: 1313
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-desantismt-17.html
Latest Review: Sasquatch Did It! by Patricia Komar

Official Review: Two Days of Christmas by Ashley Robert

Post by desantismt_17 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Two Days of Christmas" by Ashley Robert.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

For a lot of kids, sharing Christmas with their birthday might be a dream come true. Twice the presents, right? But for Asher, having his birthday on Christmas isn’t about the presents or the food. It’s the one day every year his mom and dad are together. This year, Asher is hoping for his family to reunite and for the previous year’s disaster with his dad’s new girlfriend not to repeat itself.

Unfortunately for Asher, things don’t go anywhere near how he hopes. Christmas Eve is a mess, and Asher makes Christmas Day just as miserable. When he blows out the candles on his birthday cake, Asher realizes how terrible he’s been and wishes for a chance to make things right. Christmas magic is in the air, and Asher might just get his wish.

As a fan of A Christmas Carol (especially the Muppet version, but I digress), Two Days of Christmas by Ashley Robert grabbed my attention. I have a soft spot for Christmas redemption and second-chance stories, and this definitely sounded like one. Asher rang true as a ten-year-old boy. He obviously loves his mom, comforting her whenever his dad’s mother says or does something nasty. When Asher is pushed too far, he reacts by acting out, which is very believable. I had no trouble going along with the kid-needing-to-learn-a-lesson backdrop to this story.

This book also had some truly adorable moments. The story takes place in Florida, and at one point, the family goes down to the beach for a sand sculpture contest. Two of the little girls decide to make a Santa, which ends up looking a bit demented. Later on, Asher and Judith fall asleep watching a movie, and Judith puts Asher to bed while wishing there was a way to undo all the unpleasantness of her son’s birthday. These moments brought the joyful and sweet holiday story to the forefront.

While I’d say this is, at heart, a tale of the holiday spirit, there was a lot in here that took away from that idea. The book’s description focused primarily on Asher and his second chance. It’s not until chapter 4, though, that this part of the story comes into play. The first three are heavy on the backstory about Judith (Asher’s mom), Alec (his dad), and Alec’s family. Though this book was listed under “other fiction,” I was expecting a children’s story based on the description. Just the first few chapters keep this from being a tale for kids. There’s a lot of drinking and complaining with adult language. While this isn’t necessarily a bad thing, it wasn’t what I thought this book would be, and when we finally do get to Asher, the adult language continues. Adult drama, including fights and passive aggressive comments, also feature heavily, and I was left feeling like I didn’t get the story I was quite promised.

This book could have benefited from another round of edits. There are many cases of missing and misused punctuation, as well as misspelled and missing words. There are also quite a few instances of odd or wrong word choice. When the little girls who made the funny-looking Santa win second prize in the sculpting contest, they say they’re going to use their winnings to buy a pink Ferrari. The narration then says they “obviously had no conception of money.” It seems to me “concept” would have worked better here. A bit later, Alec’s mother orders to be taken “back to the house this instance.” “Instant” would have been the word to use here. This kind of thing happens with some regularity and tended to pull me from the story.

This was very difficult, but after some consideration, I rate Two Days of Christmas 3 out of 4 stars. While the story isn’t what I expected based on the description, there’s nothing wrong with it, even if the family drama felt a bit much to me at times. There were enough cute moments to remind me of the holidays, and I really enjoyed Asher’s character. The poor editing coupled with my expectations almost brought my rating down to 2, but since I feel I shouldn’t detract points based on what I wanted the story to be, I decided on 3. Due to the editing, though, I couldn’t give this 4. As I said, this definitely isn’t a story for kids, due to the language and other things I’ve mentioned. I do recommend this for adults who enjoy holiday stories. If, like me, you aren’t much for family drama, you may wish to skip this one. Otherwise, give this book a chance…or two.

Two Days of Christmas
View: on Bookshelves

Like desantismt_17's review? Post a comment saying so!
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
Book Lover 35
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-book-lover-35.html
Latest Review: VieVie La Fontaine by Linda Heavner Gerald

Post by Book Lover 35 »

It sounds like a great Christmas story. It does remind me of The Christmas Carol. Thank you for the review!
:tiphat:
TJanowski23
Currently Reading: Winning the battle against sin
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tjanowski23.html
Latest Review: Winning the War on Cancer by Sylvie Beljanski

Post by TJanowski23 »

I'm reading A Christmas Carol to my boys right now. 'Tis the season! Anyway... thank you for the review. I generally stay away from family dramas so this might not be for me.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I love the idea behind the story, but it's difficult to know who the audience for this one is. It does seem more of a kid's tale, but with the drinking and language that's not appropriate. Thanks for the review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Jackie Holycross
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: 20 World Religions and Faith Practices by Robyn Lebron

Post by Jackie Holycross »

The description reminds me of "It's a Wonderful Life" which I love, but it sounds like there is too much drama in the story for me.
Espie
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Behind the Barbed Wire Fence
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-espie.html
Latest Review: Why Me: Trash Collector, Mental Issues by Nikolay N Bey

Post by Espie »

The protagonist's sad plight may already sound dramatic, but it's even worse for some if not too many kids in other parts of the world although I wish it weren't so. I hope that the errors you've identified get to be sorted, too. Thank you for your well-written and honest review.
"Life has many different chapters for us. One bad chapter doesn't mean it's the end of the book."-Unknown
"To err is human; to forgive, divine."-Alexander Pope
"Put GOD first; He'll bless your efforts with success."-Proverbs
LV2R
Favorite Book: Crown of Crimson (The Afterlight Chronicles Book 1)
Currently Reading: Roan
Bookshelf Size: 345
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lv2r.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by LV2R »

It is too bad that the book is based more on Asher's family's drama and not more on the light-hearted moments, but then again it sounds like a book based on many people's reality and experience. It almost sounded like it would have a magical two days of Christmas as part of the story.
Onyinye Excel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-onyinye-excel.html
Latest Review: The Different Kinds Of Monsters by Seth Chambers

Post by Onyinye Excel »

Christmas brings out the best in children. I like your choice of words.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”