Official Review: Until The Darkness Goes by Renee Ebert

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
EmunahAn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 159
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emunahan.html
Latest Review: Unremembered Victory by Dennis H. Klein

Official Review: Until The Darkness Goes by Renee Ebert

Post by EmunahAn »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Until The Darkness Goes" by Renee Ebert.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Until The Darkness Goes by Renee Ebert is an honest fiction story that chronicles the life of one middle-aged woman through loss and new beginnings.

Molly Morris settles in Long Beach, California while trying to get away from her controlling mother. She meets Javier, a handsome Mexican man, through his sister and falls in love with him. For once, her life seems to be falling into place. The period that follows is full of hope, then, everything falls apart. Molly experiences the greatest loss of her life. She uses drugs to cope with her depression which further pushes her into an unbearable cycle of addiction. Someone enters her life and Molly begins to heal.

I liked that Until The Darkness Goes was not overly emotive. The author mostly just touches on the feelings of the characters without making the feelings the focus of the book. Molly’s experiences are told in a direct way without much emphasis on sentiments. The dialogues contained in the book also direct and realistic. From time to time, the author offers a glimpse of what Molly is thinking at specific points which makes it easy to understand the plot.

I also appreciated the fact that the characters are easy to relate to since their experiences reflect real-life situations. Molly experiences unfathomable loss that plunges her into the throes of addiction. She also experiences domestic violence. Still, she remains brave and makes the best of what she can control. She also sticks to her ideals of what a great life should be like and does not allow her mother’s remarks to dishearten her pursuit. The supportive characters also have their own struggles which make it easy for a bond to form between them and the main character.

The book is very well edited and contains close to no errors. The plot moves forward in an organized and chronological manner. The author explores adeptly Molly’s experiences at each stage of her journey. Every chapter is clearly marked and the number of characters is adequate for each of them to play a meaningful role in the story. They are also not too many as to cause confusion.

I would have preferred the inclusion of more surprises and suspenseful moments in the book. Still, Until The Darkness Goes by Renee Ebert is an amazing read and I rate it 4 out of 4 stars. It is suitable for readers who prefer authentic characters and plots whose themes include loss and healing. Readers who prefer more emotive and fast-paced stories may not enjoy the book.

Until The Darkness Goes
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like EmunahAn's review? Post a comment saying so!
“Reading is escape, and the opposite of escape; it's a way to make contact with reality after a day of making things up, and it's a way of making contact with someone else's imagination after a day that's all too real.”
― Nora Ephron
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

This one sounds much more character driven with less action. I do like those types of stories from time to time. Since this one sounds so interesting, I'll have to put it on my list. Thanks!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Sunday diamond
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sunday-diamond.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Sunday diamond »

sounds lyk the book is d fiction of my type
Ice dragon
Currently Reading: The last oracle
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ice-dragon.html