Official Review: Chronicles of Pangea: Eve

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Official Review: Chronicles of Pangea: Eve

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Chronicles of Pangea: Eve" by Jay Mathis Horne.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Chronicles of Pangea : Eve is a romantic fantasy novel and Book Two of the Pangea Chronicles created by Jay Mathis Horne.

Jesse meets Evelyn at the lobby of the Brunswick Inn in London. Jesse is from New York and suffers an accelerated form of Alzheimer’s disease that he gets from his father, and Evelyn is from the Oxychana Tribe in West Africa. While Jesse comfortably lives off his trust fund and running away from the sight of his father’s deteriorating health, Evelyn is living the life she has heard from her father’s stories a long time ago, away from her tribe and the life she has always known.

As the two develop a romantic and stimulating relationship, they meet a trio of giggly ladies and a strangely attired gentleman. Unbeknownst to Jesse and Evelyn, the three ladies and the gentleman play important roles in his and Evelyn’s union and so is the generous, wrinkled, old lady in the shop, who gifts them a pair of trinkets, that turn out to be significant relics foretold to raise the biblical Tower of Babel and reunite the segregation of mankind.

As they enjoy interacting with their new-found friends, Jesse suddenly feels a desperate need for closure, not only for him and his father but also for Evelyn and her family.

Told in the third-person-perspective, this is an interesting and entertaining book with thirty chapters. The story begins at the present time in subterranean tunnels in West Africa and continues in a flashback to the time they met a few years before. It is followed by more flashbacks to earlier times in the story, then gradually and fluidly shifts back to the present time. Admittedly, the author did a good job with putting the story together in one impressive climax.

Basically, the book has a promising premise. It combines the story of the biblical Tower of Babel, Arthurian legend, and Atlantis myth. The plot is unraveled adeptly with surprising twists and unexpected turns of events. The main characters are well-developed and relatable, and though this is the second book in the series, the ending is conclusive and satisfactory.

While the most important part of the book, for me, is the emphasis on the need for closure as illustrated by Jesse’s decision, what I like most is the escape scene near the end of the story. It showcases and highlights the author’s creativeness, imaginativeness, and excellent skills in describing scenes and settings.

This is, indeed, one interesting and entertaining book. However, I found the pacing too slow and the dialogues between the characters too formal. Moreover, the extent of Jesse and Evelyn’s role to reunite mankind was not fully emphasized. There are also several noticeable errors within the entire book including misspelled words (like limosine), typo errors (like Oxyxhana) and grammatical errors (like for he alone). What I like least, however, are the loose ends that leave several questions unanswered. Hopefully, the answers may be found in the first book in the series.

I, therefore, rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. It is interesting and entertaining. I recommend it to fans of romance and fantasy novels.

Chronicles of Pangea: Eve
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes

Like kimmyschemy06's review? Post a comment saying so!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

The pace probably would be too slow for me to enjoy. However, I find it fascinating that the author combines all of those things! That must have taken some creativity. Thanks for the review, but I'll pass.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
kimmyschemy06

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

kandscreeley wrote: 07 Dec 2018, 13:39 The pace probably would be too slow for me to enjoy. However, I find it fascinating that the author combines all of those things! That must have taken some creativity. Thanks for the review, but I'll pass.
You're welcome. It's an enjoyable read, nonetheless :)
Nusrat_Shabnam_
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nusrat-shabnam.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by Nusrat_Shabnam_ »

I just love the book cover. Everything is so entertaining. I would love to read it. Thanks for the review!
kimmyschemy06

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

Nusrat_Shabnam_ wrote: 10 Dec 2018, 01:53 I just love the book cover. Everything is so entertaining. I would love to read it. Thanks for the review!
You're welcome. I hope you get a chance to read it.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”