Official Review: The Other Side of the Knife

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Official Review: The Other Side of the Knife

Post by kandscreeley »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Other Side of the Knife" by RDSutherland.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

A huge advancement has been made in medical research - a completely independent artificial heart. This heart could revolutionize heart disease and cardiovascular surgery. Not everyone is happy about it, though. Robert Krum will stop at nothing to make sure this new technology never sees the light of day. Dr. Dan Parker finds himself on the run, trying to stay alive. He has a personal stake in making sure this new advancement falls into the right hands. But, who can he trust? And, will he stay alive long enough to figure it out?

The Other Side of the Knife by RD Sutherland is a medical thriller of about 250 pages. While there is some medical terminology that might be difficult to understand, it never overtakes the plot. This book would be accessible even to those that have little medical knowledge as long as they enjoy a fun, action-packed, life or death novel.

I was a bit nervous when I started this read as the author is a retired cardiovascular surgeon. I was afraid the book would be more intellectual than thriller, but I'm glad to say that my fears were completely unfounded. The book was one that I didn't want to put down once I started. Yes, there are medical advancements and surgeries and hospitals, but the book is about so much more. It's about life and death, right and wrong, rules and chaos.

In addition to the fast pace, the characters were realistic, facing dilemmas that I imagine happen everyday. Do you follow the rules and possibly lose your patient? Or do you save the patient's life regardless of the consequences? None of the characters were fully good or bad but all were in shades of gray. This really helped me to put myself in their shoes, leaving me wondering what I would do if I was them.

Furthermore, I have to remark on the impeccable editing in the book. I found not one error in the entire novel. I appreciate that the author thought highly enough of his work to have it professionally edited. Even the descriptions were top-notch, helping me to picture everything that was happening. While not overly graphic, some of the medical procedures are quite detailed which might be too much for the more sensitive readers. In this example from the text, Mr. Sutherland is referring to the patient's blood. "... which still had the consistency of red Kool-aid. Gradually, it started to change, gaining the consistency of cold raspberry syrup, before finally turning into sticky globs of deep red clot."

All in all, I see no other option than to rate The Other Side of the Knife a 4 out of 4 stars. I honestly found absolutely nothing to complain about in this read. I recommend it to any who enjoy a good thriller, whether they are interested in medicine or not. However, if you are particularly squeamish about blood and operations, you might want to avoid this one.

The Other Side of the Knife
View: on Bookshelves

Like kandscreeley's review? Post a comment saying so!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

This sounds like a suspenseful medical thriller--thanks for the recommendation!
Sakilunamermaid
Currently Reading: Ready Player One
Bookshelf Size: 481
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Sakilunamermaid »

I am quite a fan of medical thrillers. I love to stumble upon new authors, thanks for this review. Its very enjoyable to read these books when the characters are well written and it isn't overly packed with medical jargon.
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Cecilia_L wrote: 07 Dec 2018, 14:18 This sounds like a suspenseful medical thriller--thanks for the recommendation!
It was, and quite entertaining at that!
—Neil Gaiman
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Sakilunamermaid wrote: 07 Dec 2018, 14:23 I am quite a fan of medical thrillers. I love to stumble upon new authors, thanks for this review. Its very enjoyable to read these books when the characters are well written and it isn't overly packed with medical jargon.
Oh, I'm sure you'll like this one then! It was well done!
—Neil Gaiman
Sunday diamond
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sunday-diamond.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Sunday diamond »

surely this will be one of my favourite genres- books on medical thriller
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Sunday diamond wrote: 07 Dec 2018, 16:34 surely this will be one of my favourite genres- books on medical thriller
Well, I highly recommend this one, then! Thanks for your comment.
—Neil Gaiman
gen_g
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

This sounds like such an awesome read! I love that there is a nice balance of action and medical jargon; I'll definitely place this on my to-read list. Thanks for the review!
Bianka Walter
Favorite Book: The Old Man and the Sea
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianka-walter.html
Latest Review: Thir13en by Keegan Nielsen
Reading Device: B06XD5YCKX

Post by Bianka Walter »

I'm glad that the author had enough self-control to keep it understandable. It happens so often that, because the author is an expert on a topic, they can't help but throw in some impossible-to-understand jargon.
And YAY for an error-free book :)
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

gen_g wrote: 08 Dec 2018, 00:36 This sounds like such an awesome read! I love that there is a nice balance of action and medical jargon; I'll definitely place this on my to-read list. Thanks for the review!
Definitely! There's enough to be realistic but not overwhelming. You'll enjoy it.
—Neil Gaiman
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Bianka Walter wrote: 08 Dec 2018, 02:35 I'm glad that the author had enough self-control to keep it understandable. It happens so often that, because the author is an expert on a topic, they can't help but throw in some impossible-to-understand jargon.
And YAY for an error-free book :)
Oh yes! Some authors can't help but show their knowledge. In this book, you can tell the author knows his stuff, but he doesn't inundate you with it. Thanks.
—Neil Gaiman
sarahmarlowe
Favorite Book: One Second After
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 191
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarahmarlowe.html
Latest Review: The best therapy by Jim LaPierre LCSW, CCS
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by sarahmarlowe »

Wow! This sounds like a great read! I'm glad you pointed out that even though the author was a surgeon, he didn't write over the average reader's head. I love a good thriller, and I may have to check this one out. Thanks for the great review!
sarahmarlowe
You can spend your time however you want, but you can spend it only once. :eusa-think:
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

sarahmarlowe wrote: 08 Dec 2018, 12:23 Wow! This sounds like a great read! I'm glad you pointed out that even though the author was a surgeon, he didn't write over the average reader's head. I love a good thriller, and I may have to check this one out. Thanks for the great review!
This is definitely worth putting on your list. It was very well-written. I enjoyed it immensely.
—Neil Gaiman
Okafor Prosper
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 250
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-okafor-prosper.html
Latest Review: 52 Pieces: by Dr. Marina Kostina

Post by Okafor Prosper »

I'm not really a fan of thrillers, but including medical advancement in the story is sure to get my attention. Hopefully, the book lives up to your hype. Thank you for the review.
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

prospero360 wrote: 20 Dec 2018, 09:22 I'm not really a fan of thrillers, but including medical advancement in the story is sure to get my attention. Hopefully, the book lives up to your hype. Thank you for the review.
The medical advancement is quite interesting. I think you'd enjoy that. Thanks for commenting.
—Neil Gaiman

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”