Official Review: Express Exec by Gary Brose

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cotwani.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Official Review: Express Exec by Gary Brose

Post by Connie Otwani »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Express Exec" by Gary Brose.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

It may not be unusual to find real-life situations presented in a fictitious way. However, when these situations are mundane, textbook business concepts, such a presentation becomes unique. Gary Brose started or purchased twenty plus companies in a thirty-year span starting 1981. Many were his lessons in regards to staying-in-business techniques. Brose then decided to condense these techniques in a way that the reader would feel the real-world pain, fear, and angst of leading a department or company through massive change. Thus, Express Exec was 'born.'

Although the book’s description promised a business book in novel form, I still expected to encounter some dull, technical interlude characteristic of many business books. I was pleasantly surprised to find myself on an exciting roller coaster ride. A young company executive valiantly tried to swim upstream in the turbulent waters of a dying company, apathetic employees, the boss’ non-performing pet employee, top management’s resistance to change, and some unexpected foul play. Complex business principles were so cleverly hidden in the book that it wasn’t easy to see them as textbook principles. Below is an example:
As they took their seats, she flashed back, remembering an article saying that a speech like the one she was about to give needed to be well articulated and a bit inspiring. It had to explain the reason change is necessary, the challenges and opportunities ahead, and paint a picture of how making those changes would impact the employees in a good way. She swallowed hard.
Juggernaut Industries has six months to turn around her financial standing or else, the bank won’t advance her a loan desperately needed to keep the company afloat. The company CEO challenges senior management to come up with ways to save the company. The other VPs only coin business as usual solutions – cut costs, lay off a few people, add a sales rep, get everyone to work faster and harder. On the other hand, Andrea Lane, the main protagonist, comes to the conclusion that the company’s only hope lies in making some drastic changes. With her uncle mentoring her, Andrea decides to effect these changes. As the reader walks with her through her fear, pain, joy, and frustration, it becomes apparent there is someone out to sabotage her efforts and crash the company. Will Andrea’s efforts bear fruit or will the company be sold for a song?

The book deals with getting one’s business into the express lane. You see, in life, change must happen no matter what. We can choose to embrace it and make it work for us. Brose beautifully sums this up as:
You may be powerless to stop the world from passing you by, but you are not powerless to gain from it.
The storyline was exciting and easy to follow. Dates, over a six-month period, replaced chapter numbers. The resulting chronological narration was in the third person using Andrea’s and on a few occasions other characters’ points of view. This effectively gives the reader an omniscient grasp of the plot. I had fun watching Andrea fight against all odds to humanely push her agenda through. The author successfully weaved suspense into the unusual twists. The characters were so authentic that had they stepped off the pages, they could have walked right into a real company and signed in for work! Moreover, there seemed to be a budding romance. This kept me guessing at how it was going to blossom.

The conversational writing style was articulate and engaging. The author’s unique way of introducing business concepts was quite refreshing. I was treated to interesting perspectives on team building, coaching, meritocracy, staff motivation, and many others without breaking a sweat. The author avoided technical ‘how to’ descriptions by simply showing a sample. For example, instead of explaining how to draw up a bonus program, he just posted what Andrea had come up with.

The core themes in the book are change management and employee engagement/productivity. It was evident right from the cover that ‘things may come to those who wait, but only the things left by those who hustle!' The antagonistic and anxiety-ridden nature of organizational annual performance reviews was specifically singled out. The book is professionally edited. I only encountered a couple of errors.

All the same, there were two dampers on this book. First, in a few instances, the narration moved on to a different scene, without proper spacing from the previous scene. This caused momentary confusion. In addition, the author decided to insert a summary explaining various business concepts he had employed in the book, before concluding the interesting story. I found this distracting. The author should consider putting this summary at the very end of the book.

The issues raised above are however very minor when viewed against the backdrop of the overall unique and enticing plot execution, superb character development and professional editing. I, therefore, don’t hesitate to rate Express Exec 4 out of 4 stars.

HR managers, departmental heads, business executives and business owners stand to benefit most from this book. I recommend it to entrepreneurs, managers, business students and all lovers of fast-paced fictional drama.

Express Exec
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Cotwani's review? Post a comment saying so!
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I applaud the author for such a unique book! Business tips in novel form? That's definitely one I haven't heard before. Nevertheless, it's not really something for me either. I don't own a business nor am I intent on rising the corporate ladder. Thanks, though.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Nusrat_Shabnam_
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nusrat-shabnam.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by Nusrat_Shabnam_ »

It is surely not for me. But your review has been great! Keep going. I also appreciate the author's uniqueness.
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:

Post by Connie Otwani »

kandscreeley wrote: 04 Dec 2018, 09:00 I applaud the author for such a unique book! Business tips in novel form? That's definitely one I haven't heard before. Nevertheless, it's not really something for me either. I don't own a business nor am I intent on rising the corporate ladder. Thanks, though.
Yes, the author's style was a pleasant surprise. I understand what you mean and appreciate your stopping by and giving feedback.
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:

Post by Connie Otwani »

Nusrat_Shabnam_ wrote: 04 Dec 2018, 09:52 It is surely not for me. But your review has been great! Keep going. I also appreciate the author's uniqueness.
Thank you, Nusrat! I truly appreciate your stopping by and providing feedback.
-Walt Disney
Bianka Walter
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Old Man and the Sea
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianka-walter.html
Latest Review: Thir13en by Keegan Nielsen
Reading Device: B06XD5YCKX

Post by Bianka Walter »

Kudos for picking this book to review! I would have steered clear - business being one of the more uninteresting topics for me :) But you made it sound very entertaining!
Great review :)
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss
Espie
Favorite Book: Behind the Barbed Wire Fence
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-espie.html
Latest Review: Why Me: Trash Collector, Mental Issues by Nikolay N Bey

Post by Espie »

‘things may come to those who wait, but only the things left by those who hustle!'
Sad that may sound, but we can't say it isn't the reality.

Change management is not always a walk in the park. It also entails a comprehensive internal and external stakeholder consultation process to ensure their "ownership" of the whole process and not just the results, always going back to the "reasons why" or "what happens if we don't" (especially in addressing resistance), and a concerted and collective effort in carrying what had been planned for.

This book may be fictional, and yet it's likely not totally bereft of truth.

Thank you for another insightful and thorough review.
"Life has many different chapters for us. One bad chapter doesn't mean it's the end of the book."-Unknown
"To err is human; to forgive, divine."-Alexander Pope
"Put GOD first; He'll bless your efforts with success."-Proverbs
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: Killing Shore
Bookshelf Size: 2389
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: You Say Goodbye by Keith Steinbaum
fav_author_id: 5604

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

I never thought I'd be interested in a book about business, honestly. But this book seems to be so much more. I always appreciate realistic, complex characters like the ones you describe and I'm glad it's not full of incomprehensible terms for the business layman.
Honestly, it takes talent to write such an enthusiastic and compelling review for this kind of book. Congrats!
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 235
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashiyya-tariq.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller
Reading Device: PDF

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

I have read this book. It is outstanding from every aspect. An easy and comprehensive book to cater change in business organizations. Thanks for this great review.
Make your ideals high enough to inspire you and low enough to encourage you.

📕📖📰📓📕
T_stone
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-t-stone.html
Latest Review: Marketing on Fleek by Kobi Ben Meir
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by T_stone »

HR managers, departmental heads, business executives and business owners stand to benefit most from this book. I recommend it to entrepreneurs, managers, business students and all lovers of fast-paced fictional drama.
This is a very good book on business I'm very much interested in. Kudos to the author for writing such an informative book. Also, you did a good job reviewing this thoroughly. Thanks.
Feeling upset sometimes may be unavoidable, but acting distressed is always optional.

Rob White
Shrabastee Chakraborty
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Warramunga's War
Currently Reading: Timewise
Bookshelf Size: 1147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shrabastee-chakraborty.html
Latest Review: The Infinite Passion of Life by D.J. Paolini

Post by Shrabastee Chakraborty »

This was a wonderful review of an exceptional book. I really enjoyed reading the review, however, the topic of the book does not interest me much. So I am keeping it for later. Thanks for the very insightful review!
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:

Post by Connie Otwani »

Bianka Walter wrote: 04 Dec 2018, 15:23 Kudos for picking this book to review! I would have steered clear - business being one of the more uninteresting topics for me :) But you made it sound very entertaining!
Great review :)
The book is entertaining. You will not realise that you are in a business class! Thanks for stopping by and giving feedback.
-Walt Disney
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:

Post by Connie Otwani »

Espie wrote: 04 Dec 2018, 16:33
‘things may come to those who wait, but only the things left by those who hustle!'
Sad that may sound, but we can't say it isn't the reality.

Change management is not always a walk in the park. It also entails a comprehensive internal and external stakeholder consultation process to ensure their "ownership" of the whole process and not just the results, always going back to the "reasons why" or "what happens if we don't" (especially in addressing resistance), and a concerted and collective effort in carrying what had been planned for.

This book may be fictional, and yet it's likely not totally bereft of truth.

Thank you for another insightful and thorough review.
The author has a sneaky way of getting the reader into a business class. Change management was well tackled, though without stakeholder consultations. There was simply no time for this. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.
-Walt Disney
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:

Post by Connie Otwani »

Lunastella wrote: 04 Dec 2018, 21:35 I never thought I'd be interested in a book about business, honestly. But this book seems to be so much more. I always appreciate realistic, complex characters like the ones you describe and I'm glad it's not full of incomprehensible terms for the business layman.
Honestly, it takes talent to write such an enthusiastic and compelling review for this kind of book. Congrats!
Thank you for your kind words Lunastella. The author sneakily gets the reader into a business class while the reader is confident she is in a drama class! I appreciate your stopping by!
-Walt Disney
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 685
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

Cotwani wrote: 05 Dec 2018, 16:03 [quote=Lunastella post_id=1065658 time=1540
Thank you for your kind words Lunastella. The author sneakily gets the reader into a business class while the reader is confident she is in a drama class! I appreciate your stopping by!
I'm an accountant, so I'm not new to boring business books. But this one seems to be an extraordinary way of making the lessons stick.

That suspense moment before the podium is spot-on.

Thanks for a thrilling review!

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”