Official Review: Midtown Madhatter by Mateo Monda

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Jgideon
Favorite Book: Gates to Tangier
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 253
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jgideon.html
Latest Review: Sundays with Sister ssj by Anthony Happy LaRiccia

Official Review: Midtown Madhatter by Mateo Monda

Post by Jgideon »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Midtown Madhatter" by Mateo Monda.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

How would your day be if you met a couple of your grade school friends after a decade? Would you be able to connect, laugh, and have fun? That would be an exciting day if one had a unique bond with his/her grade school friends. These must have been the thoughts going through the mind of Mateo Monda when he wrote Midtown Madhatter.

When he received an invitation to attend Jackie Collins’ wedding, Pete Walsh left Guadalajara for New York. The two had been friends since kindergarten. After grade school, they parted ways since they went to different high schools. However, their friendship did not die. The story revolves around the lives of Pete Walsh and all his close childhood friends. The book is divided into several chapters. Each chapter gives a detailed account of the main activities of Pete Walsh from the time he received the invitation letter to the time he returned home after the wedding.

The author brought together different characters based on their childhood relationship. The story goes back and forth, as the author seeks to take the reader to the roots of their relationship. However, through the first half of the book, I felt like I was being bombarded with many characters who seemed to appear from the blues. In the second half of the book, I was already familiar with the characters. I was in for an entertaining ride as the characters took the stage to unleash more of their dramatic activities.

Several themes are covered in the story. They include alcoholism, drug addiction, friendship, social segregation, dysfunctional marriages, and parenting. For instance, the main character, Walsh, struggles with both drug addiction and alcoholism. Consequently, his marriage is very unstable. He has also kept some dark secrets from his wife and family. Through his brilliant characterization and plot of the story, Monda shows that the kind of friends that one keeps determines his/her personality.

The author has a great sense of humor. It made the story very enjoyable to read. Mateo Monda has also employed suspense as a literary tool to keep the reader glued to the pages of the book. It was not easy to predict the next turn of events. This makes the book ideal for people who love books that are full of drama, suspense, and humor. However, it would not appeal to anyone who is easily offended by the language of alcoholics and addicts, such as the F* word.

Although I was skeptical about this book due to its title, it did not disappoint. The author served an entertaining read through his brilliant choice of characters, plot, and diction. In addition, I believe the book was professionally edited. Out of its 289 pages, I only noted two mistakes. Therefore, I give Midtown Madhatter 4 out of 4 stars. It is nothing short of an amazing read.

Midtown Madhatter
View: on Bookshelves

Like Jgideon's review? Post a comment saying so!
Book Lover 35
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-book-lover-35.html
Latest Review: VieVie La Fontaine by Linda Heavner Gerald

Post by Book Lover 35 »

I like that there is some humor in the book. I also like that it covers many different issues. It sounds like a fun book to read. The cover could be more creative. Great review!
:tiphat:
Caylie_Cat
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-caylie-cat.html
Latest Review: The Traveler's Best Seller by Rick Incorvia

Post by Caylie_Cat »

This is an informative review and the friendship theme seems to be handled in an unusual manner. However, F-bombs do put me off somewhat.
Espie
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Behind the Barbed Wire Fence
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-espie.html
Latest Review: Why Me: Trash Collector, Mental Issues by Nikolay N Bey

Post by Espie »

Through his brilliant characterization and plot of the story, Monda shows that the kind of friends that one keeps determines his/her personality.
It's just sad to note how prejudiced we humans could be. However, I also understand that there could be social dynamics and more glaring reasons for people to choose sweeping generalisations and stereotyping although it may be kinder to do otherwise. Also, the title initially made me think this is an Alice in Wonderland spinoff, but is it really not? Thank you for your interesting review.
"Life has many different chapters for us. One bad chapter doesn't mean it's the end of the book."-Unknown
"To err is human; to forgive, divine."-Alexander Pope
"Put GOD first; He'll bless your efforts with success."-Proverbs
Shrabastee Chakraborty
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Warramunga's War
Currently Reading: Timewise
Bookshelf Size: 1153
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shrabastee-chakraborty.html
Latest Review: The Infinite Passion of Life by D.J. Paolini

Post by Shrabastee Chakraborty »

Finding your childhood buddies in a few decades, stripped of all innocence and seasoned by hardships-now that is an interesting read. Thanks for the insightful review and the warnings about the language.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

The themes sound important, and I love a book that has good humor in it. Still, I just don't know that this really appeals to me. I'm glad that you enjoyed it, though. Thanks.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

How would your day be if you met a couple of your grade school friends after a decade? Would you be able to connect, laugh, and have fun?
This question made me really go back. Bombarding of characters isn't much of a problem if the author maintains a good flow in his read. Interesting to know that you enjoyed this book!
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”