Review by calciumm -- McDowell by William H. Coles

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
calciumm
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-calciumm.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Review by calciumm -- McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by calciumm » 01 Dec 2018, 22:14

[Following is a volunteer review of "McDowell" by William H. Coles.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Sympathizing with the villain might seem far-fetched for a lot of readers but in the book McDowell, the readers’ beliefs about antagonists might be challenged. McDowell is a book about the main character of the book’s same name, Hiram McDowell, and how his actions affected the lives of those he met along his life.

The story was told through a different point of views: firstly through our main character of the same name, Hiram McDowell, Michael O’Leary, whom Hiram had done wrong, Billie and Sophie, his children, Paige the reporter, and a lot more other characters. The book was divided into two parts, the first part which is about McDowell’s height of his career, and the second part which focuses on McDowell’s downfall and the pieces that he left along the way.

McDowell has a very interesting start on the book. It starts off strong and finished off strong. The character development for Hiram’s character is so well done that the reader can’t help but eventually root for a character that was once hated on so much. The book did a good job at mixing the reader’s emotions about the whole situation of Hiram throughout the story. The author managed to make a despicable character like Hiram to become someone that the reader can sympathize with. The story also has a lot of surprising twists and it keeps the readers gripped throughout the whole story. At first, I thought that the number of characters that were introduced in the story would confuse me. However, the author did a good job in establishing who is who and etching the characters into our brain so that the readers won’t get confused. Because of the number of characters, there are a lot of people that the readers would root out for and of course, it helped in making the readers look forward to their point of views through the next chapters. Another thing that I really like about the story is that it captures the reality of the world: from the abuse of power, manipulation of journalism, broken families and relationships and how it affects everyone, and of course, karma.

It is so well done that I really have nothing to dislike about it. If there’s only one thing that I don’t like is when the author introduced new characters that didn’t really contributed anything to the development of the story. It is just a small fraction of what I don't like compared to what I like, so I don’t really mind it. The story also didn't have a lot of errors, I can tell that it is professionally edited.

I give this story a 4 out of 4 stars. It is well-written, the characters and the plot are really good and it doesn’t bore the reader. I recommend it to everyone who wants to read a non-cliche story that would certainly entertain you. The book would also make the reader take a step back and reflect and to be mindful of their actions.

McDowell
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords

Like calciumm's review? Post a comment saying so!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”