Official Review: Life in a Box by JoDee Neathery

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
sarahmarlowe
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: One Second After
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 191
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarahmarlowe.html
Latest Review: The best therapy by Jim LaPierre LCSW, CCS
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Official Review: Life in a Box by JoDee Neathery

Post by sarahmarlowe »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Life in a Box" by JoDee Neathery.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Life in a Box, by JoDee Neathery, is a family saga covering nearly a hundred years. Readers follow three generations through triumph and tragedy.

The novel begins with Andee Camp, an adult daughter who has been given a box of family tokens and journals after the death of her mother and uncle. As Andee examines the box and learns more about her mother and her family, the reader is made privy to their story through flashbacks. At the outset, the reader meets Andee’s mother, Victoria Jeanne. V.J., as she is called, leaves Andee a letter encouraging her to examine the family’s history and turn it into a novel. With the loving words and encouragement of her mother, Andee accepts the challenge to do just that.

In the first section of Life in a Box, the author also introduces V.J.’s twin brother, Ben. The reader follows the twins in the weeks prior to their deaths, the cause of which becomes a matter of debate. This section of the story is followed by three books of Andee’s novel. The first is the history of her mother’s side of the family. The second is about her father’s side, and the last explains how the families became intertwined. In the end, the reader is brought back to Andee and her modern-day family for the pulling together of the story.

I enjoyed the beginning of the book. I was intrigued by the characters and enjoyed their interactions. Neathery’s beautiful prose creates detailed images like this description of a winter's day on the beach, “Light of day stonewashed into twilight….” I also liked the character-drawing the author did by adding details like health issues, past rifts, and personal entanglements. And, the back-and-forth between twins V.J. and Ben is fast and fun. That made those characters come alive to me.

I didn’t like the other sections, or books, as much. The characters were well-drawn, but I didn’t want to be taken away from the initial story while investigating their parents and grandparents. I understand many of the plot points rely on family history, but I think that by concentrating on so many characters, the author left some dangling threads. I wanted to know more about Andee’s melanoma, V.J. and Will’s separation, and Scott’s family.

I give Life in a Box 3 out of 4 stars. I debated on giving only 2 stars because of the holes in the plot that need to be patched. To me, the beginning is the most impressive part of the book. I read through the middle in order to get to the end, and I found it disappointing. Without giving any spoilers, one mystery turns into two, and then neither of them seem to be solved with any satisfaction. I would almost brand one answer a deus ex machina. However, the plot is stronger than that of a 2-star book, and I would recommend it.

The novel also needs some editing help, as I found many grammatical lapses. Most of these mistakes had to do with the misuse of commas and apostrophes. Editing issues are another reason I could not give the book 4 stars.

Life in a Box has very little profanity, minimal violence, and only implied sexual situations. I admire that the author allowed her story to stand on its own without adding unnecessary particulars.

If you are looking for an adventure story or action-driven novel, I don’t think this one would be for you. However, this book would appeal to people who enjoy character-driven stories and generational histories. I appreciate appendices like glossaries and charts to aid the unraveling of stories, and Neathery includes a family tree that is a great help in keeping siblings straight. If you like interesting, detailed characters, you may want to try Life in a Box. I would certainly read another book by this author because I like her writing style.

Life in a Box
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like sarahmarlowe's review? Post a comment saying so!
sarahmarlowe
You can spend your time however you want, but you can spend it only once. :eusa-think:
Book Lover 35
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-book-lover-35.html
Latest Review: VieVie La Fontaine by Linda Heavner Gerald

Post by Book Lover 35 »

This sounds like a charming story. I love the summary. Thanks for the review!
:tiphat:
T_stone
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-t-stone.html
Latest Review: Marketing on Fleek by Kobi Ben Meir
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by T_stone »

I like a book with very good characterization, and "Life in a Box" seems like one. It also has a good plot even though there are some holes in the plot. Thanks for the detailed summary.
Feeling upset sometimes may be unavoidable, but acting distressed is always optional.

Rob White
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I appreciate that this book is fairly clean. However, I enjoy a bit more action in my stories. Family dramas aren't necessarily my go to genre. Still, with some work, I think this could probably be nice for those that enjoy that kind of thing.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
sarahmarlowe
Currently Reading:

Post by sarahmarlowe »

Book Lover 35 wrote: 03 Dec 2018, 00:23 This sounds like a charming story. I love the summary. Thanks for the review!
"Charming" is a very good description of it! Thanks for stopping by!
sarahmarlowe
You can spend your time however you want, but you can spend it only once. :eusa-think:
sarahmarlowe
Currently Reading:

Post by sarahmarlowe »

T_stone wrote: 03 Dec 2018, 02:17 I like a book with very good characterization, and "Life in a Box" seems like one. It also has a good plot even though there are some holes in the plot. Thanks for the detailed summary.
Yes! The characters are very rounded. I enjoyed learning more about them as the book went on. Thanks for stopping by!
sarahmarlowe
sarahmarlowe
Currently Reading:

Post by sarahmarlowe »

kandscreeley wrote: 03 Dec 2018, 09:00 I appreciate that this book is fairly clean. However, I enjoy a bit more action in my stories. Family dramas aren't necessarily my go to genre. Still, with some work, I think this could probably be nice for those that enjoy that kind of thing.
Very true! I would love to know more about these characters, but it is certainly not a thriller:)

Thanks for stopping by!
sarahmarlowe
Ferdinand_Otieno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1749
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
fav_author_id: 78026

Post by Ferdinand_Otieno »

This seems like a charming story with excellent characterization, and I am very much looking forward to reading it despite the listed plot holes. Awesome review that sold me on this book.
Brendan Donaghy
Currently Reading: Small Great Things
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brendan-donaghy.html
Latest Review: Teetering On A Tightrope by Steven W Wilson

Post by Brendan Donaghy »

This book sounds a bit patchy, so I'll probably give it a miss. Thanks for a great review!
tarafarah7
Favorite Author: Mitch Albom
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... ">tuesdays with Morrie</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1437
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tarafarah7.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 2544

Post by tarafarah7 »

Today's BOTD sounds like a beautiful multi-generational story with well-developed charaters driving the plot. You mentioned this book being broken up into 3 parts...perhaps, it would have been better if the author turned those 3 parts into 3 separate books. I read another saga, similar to this one, and that's what she did. It was wonderful! I downloaded my copy, and I'm looking forward to reading it. Thank you so much for your review - I enjoyed it! :-)
gali
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

A family saga that combines mystery, memoir, and history and follows three generations sounds enticing. A pity the other sections aren't as good as the first one. Too bad about the holes in the plot, lack of action, and the weak ending. Hopefully, those editing errors you mentioned were fixed by now. I don't think it is for me, but I am glad you enjoyed the book despite its flaws. Thank you for the review!
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
MsTri
Favorite Author: Miranda Ann Markley
Favorite Book: The Spirit Seeds Book 1
Currently Reading: the Secret of Safe Passage
Bookshelf Size: 1033
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mstri.html
Latest Review: Suddenly Free, Vol. 1 by Yvette Carmon Davis
Reading Device: B07HZHJGY7
fav_author_id: 225682

Post by MsTri »

Thanks for the review, but I really don't care for "character-driven stories and generational histories", and Andee and her family's saga will not be the exception.
Stephanie Elizabeth
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 212
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: Do You Remember Me? by Wm M Crouch

Post by Stephanie Elizabeth »

It's too bad that the novel didn't maintain an even flow. I like the premise of the story as it sounds like a character-driven book which involves a secret box and letters/journals chronicling the lives of the main character's family. Thanks for the great review!
Hester3
Currently Reading: I Will Make of Thee a Great Nation
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hester3.html
Latest Review: Wilderness Cry by Hilary L Hunt M.D.

Post by Hester3 »

The idea behind the book sounds interesting, but it sounds as if the book itself is disappointing. I agree that it might have been better if the book was divided into three books. Thanks for the review.
Masque3323
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Masque3323 »

It's difficult to get through books with so many characters that you (& often the author) can't keep track of. Too many characters too many times lead to shallow characters because they're not fleshed out enough. It sounds like an interesting premise, for sure, but I feel like it's been overdone in the last few years. Thank you for your honest review!

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”