Official Review: The Neighbour at Number 18

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Rosemary Khathibe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosemary-khathibe.html
Latest Review: Robotic Warriors by Caglar Juan Singletary

Official Review: The Neighbour at Number 18

Post by Rosemary Khathibe »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Neighbour at Number 18" by Hawa Crickmore.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Neighbour at Number 18 is other fiction book written by Hawa Crickmore. It follows the life of Maria Anderson. The book also tells the background stories of people that seem to play a significant role in Maria's life. These people include Brenda, Maureen, Emilia, Connor and Tyler.

The story further discusses the protagonist's experiences with regard to marriage, relationships, education, life challenges and many more. When in town, Maria's mother, Brenda, made a new friend, Maureen. These two women's friendship grew as they shared the same sentiments from their past encounters. Their daughters, Maria and Emilia, eventually became best friends. Meanwhile, Maureen's fiancé, Ian, vanished without a word. And her daughter, Emilia, had something to do with it. The question was, what did she do for Ian to take off? This, in turn, made Emilia a victim of a blackmail by her cousin, Tyler. Afraid that Tyler would tell on her, Emilia agreed to bring him Maria for pleasure. Unfortunately for Tyler, the police came in time to take him to prison. While in jail, Tyler was found dead in his cell. Why and who could have killed him?

Maria grew up to be a successful lawyer and got married to a head teacher, Ron. Their marriage was a true partnership of unflagging love and dedication to each other. That was until the new tenant's arrival at number 18 changed everything. It was only a matter of time before Maria discovered the intentions of the new neighbour. Maria, now fifty-one, was also keeping a secret that only she knew since she was thirteen years old. Would it not taint her marriage with Ron?

The thoughts, emotions and actions of the characters were fully explored. Ron's pain, inflicted by the feeling of loss, brought tears to my eyes. In regard to the characters' actions, there was a reason behind Emilia's style of clothing and why Connor was a bully at school. There was also always a penance for villains. This, again, made the book enjoyable as the characters I rooted for to get justice kept winning. In this book, character development was not an issue. To be honest, I was worried at first that Ron was displayed as a perfect guy any woman would ever wish for. However, later in the story, he made some mistakes, which took away all my doubts.

Paedophile relationship is the most recurring theme in the book. For that matter, the story contains lessons for young girls on how to recognise "School Sex Recruiters (SSR)," and how to say no to them. However, since there are explicit sex scenes in the story, I do not recommend the book to readers below the age of eighteen. I think it will be best for parents to read the book and tell their young daughters how to say no to SSR.

Despite the book being an easy read, enjoyable and informative, it had several downsides. At the beginning of the story, Brenda was mentioned as a mother of three children. However, her two children, Maria and Jonathan, were the ones discussed throughout the book, but not her last born, Anna. Moreover, Maria was portrayed as a mother of one son, Joseph; one daughter, Lilian; and one step-daughter, Emma. But as the story went on, she was displayed as a mother of three daughters and no son. In other words, the characters' names and gender kept changing. This brought attention to the fact that though the grammar errors were rare, the book lacked proofreading. Moreover, some events in the book left me hanging: the story ended with Maureen still not knowing the cause of her fiance's disappearance. And Emilia's secret never came out.

The pages in the book are also not written in order. For example, the story starts on page 54, which is then followed by page 61. In short, this 197-page book ended on page 2228. As a result, I am awarding the book 2 out of 4 stars. As much as I enjoyed reading the story, I found the errors too much to ignore. If not for them, the book could have gotten 4 stars. The story will be enjoyed by lovers of romance. It will also appeal to people interested in family relationships.

The Neighbour at Number 18
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Rosemary Khathibe's review? Post a comment saying so!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

The page numbering issue is quite odd; I wonder how that happened. Also, the characters and sexes changing would be off-putting. Add in the explicit content, and I don't think I'm going to be reading this one. Thanks, though.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Caylie_Cat
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-caylie-cat.html
Latest Review: The Traveler's Best Seller by Rick Incorvia

Post by Caylie_Cat »

This book sounds a bit confusing. The plot seems to have lots of twists and turns, a changing cast of characters, and the page numbering issue would be quite off-putting to me. Great review, though!
T_stone
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-t-stone.html
Latest Review: Marketing on Fleek by Kobi Ben Meir
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by T_stone »

The book look very confusing; shifting characters and gender. Although this contains information for young girls, I don't think I'll be reading this one. Kudos to you for reading the book and reviewing it.
Feeling upset sometimes may be unavoidable, but acting distressed is always optional.

Rob White
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

This book seems to have a lot of promise. The secrecy, the mystery, the romance all seem appealing. You also help others readers by pointing some of the difficult themes. The unresolved matters would also be unsatisfying. Thanks for your excellent analysis of this book. Great writing!
Book Lover 35
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-book-lover-35.html
Latest Review: VieVie La Fontaine by Linda Heavner Gerald

Post by Book Lover 35 »

I am curious about who this new neighbor must be. That's great that young women can learn from this book, even though it has graphic scenes in it. Thanks for the review!
:tiphat:
gen_g
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

This sounds really fascinating, if not for the messy structure. I also like that it's rather informative. Thanks for the review!
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3017
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: Nimue by Ayn Cates Sullivan

Post by Kibet Hillary »

Such a captivating story. It is sad that the author was not able to maintain consistency in regards to information pertaining to some characters. I would like to read this book. Thanks for the wonderful review.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
Bianka Walter
Favorite Book: The Old Man and the Sea
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianka-walter.html
Latest Review: Thir13en by Keegan Nielsen
Reading Device: B06XD5YCKX

Post by Bianka Walter »

You know a book has hit the right mark when you get teary-eyed - so it's a pity that it lacked proofreading. I hope the author takes another look and tightens things up.
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 235
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashiyya-tariq.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller
Reading Device: PDF

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

It sounds an interesting plot with well-developed characters. I would surely give it a try. Great review.
Make your ideals high enough to inspire you and low enough to encourage you.

📕📖📰📓📕
Nusrat_Shabnam_
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nusrat-shabnam.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by Nusrat_Shabnam_ »

It is a really nice one to read avoiding the errors. Thanks for the honest and insightful review!
Sushan Ekanayake
Currently Reading: My Wind Therapy
Bookshelf Size: 407
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: My Wind Therapy: Motorcycling Through A History of Child Abuse And Domestic Violence by Queen Five Star
Reading Device: B0794JC2K5

Post by Sushan Ekanayake »

This one seems as an interesting book with your review. Thank you for the nice, detailed review 👍👍
We all need people who will give us feedback. That’s how we improve.

- Bill Gates -

:lire4: $u$han €kanayak€ :text-feedback:
Kajori Sheryl Paul
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 958
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kajori-sheryl-paul.html
Latest Review: Not Fishy Enough by Briton Kolber

Post by Kajori Sheryl Paul »

It is a pity that the book was not properly edited. Apart from that, it seems like a good read.

Thank you for the great review.
Falconcrest
Currently Reading: Brass Rail
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-falconcrest.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Falconcrest »

Thanks for an amazing review. This is a great read though the let down is the number of errors in it.
Theresa Moffitt
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 294
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-theresa-moffitt.html
Latest Review: Royal Gossip by Trisha Goodwin
2024 Reading Goal: 20
2024 Goal Completion: 30%

Post by Theresa Moffitt »

This was a well-written and informative review. Too bad that the book wasn’t properly proofread. I don’t think I would enjoy reading this book, it sounds confusing with the names and genders of the children changing and the inconsistent page numbers.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”