Official Review: The Neighbour at Number 18

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
While in the forum's younger and less active days this used to be the one and only forum for "reviews and discussions about specific books", this is now just the subforum "other fiction" in a more well-organized "reviews and discussions about specific books" section with subforums for each genre. Check it out! :) Remember, the forums in the reviews section (including this forum) are for posting about a single book or series in topic, and the topic title should include the book's title. If you are creating a new topic, please try to post it in one of the other genres rather than posting it here in the "other fiction" section. This is only for books that do not fit in any of the other genre categories we have listed.
Rosemary Khathibe
2018 Reading Goal: 55
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 47
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosemary-khathibe.html
Latest Review: Robotic Warriors by Caglar Juan Singletary

Official Review: The Neighbour at Number 18

Post by Rosemary Khathibe » 27 Nov 2018, 13:53

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Neighbour at Number 18" by Hawa Crickmore.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Neighbour at Number 18 is other fiction book written by Hawa Crickmore. It follows the life of Maria Anderson. The book also tells the background stories of people that seem to play a significant role in Maria's life. These people include Brenda, Maureen, Emilia, Connor and Tyler.

The story further discusses the protagonist's experiences with regard to marriage, relationships, education, life challenges and many more. When in town, Maria's mother, Brenda, made a new friend, Maureen. These two women's friendship grew as they shared the same sentiments from their past encounters. Their daughters, Maria and Emilia, eventually became best friends. Meanwhile, Maureen's fiancé, Ian, vanished without a word. And her daughter, Emilia, had something to do with it. The question was, what did she do for Ian to take off? This, in turn, made Emilia a victim of a blackmail by her cousin, Tyler. Afraid that Tyler would tell on her, Emilia agreed to bring him Maria for pleasure. Unfortunately for Tyler, the police came in time to take him to prison. While in jail, Tyler was found dead in his cell. Why and who could have killed him?

Maria grew up to be a successful lawyer and got married to a head teacher, Ron. Their marriage was a true partnership of unflagging love and dedication to each other. That was until the new tenant's arrival at number 18 changed everything. It was only a matter of time before Maria discovered the intentions of the new neighbour. Maria, now fifty-one, was also keeping a secret that only she knew since she was thirteen years old. Would it not taint her marriage with Ron?

The thoughts, emotions and actions of the characters were fully explored. Ron's pain, inflicted by the feeling of loss, brought tears to my eyes. In regard to the characters' actions, there was a reason behind Emilia's style of clothing and why Connor was a bully at school. There was also always a penance for villains. This, again, made the book enjoyable as the characters I rooted for to get justice kept winning. In this book, character development was not an issue. To be honest, I was worried at first that Ron was displayed as a perfect guy any woman would ever wish for. However, later in the story, he made some mistakes, which took away all my doubts.

Paedophile relationship is the most recurring theme in the book. For that matter, the story contains lessons for young girls on how to recognise "School Sex Recruiters (SSR)," and how to say no to them. However, since there are explicit sex scenes in the story, I do not recommend the book to readers below the age of eighteen. I think it will be best for parents to read the book and tell their young daughters how to say no to SSR.

Despite the book being an easy read, enjoyable and informative, it had several downsides. At the beginning of the story, Brenda was mentioned as a mother of three children. However, her two children, Maria and Jonathan, were the ones discussed throughout the book, but not her last born, Anna. Moreover, Maria was portrayed as a mother of one son, Joseph; one daughter, Lilian; and one step-daughter, Emma. But as the story went on, she was displayed as a mother of three daughters and no son. In other words, the characters' names and gender kept changing. This brought attention to the fact that though the grammar errors were rare, the book lacked proofreading. Moreover, some events in the book left me hanging: the story ended with Maureen still not knowing the cause of her fiance's disappearance. And Emilia's secret never came out.

The pages in the book are also not written in order. For example, the story starts on page 54, which is then followed by page 61. In short, this 197-page book ended on page 2228. As a result, I am awarding the book 2 out of 4 stars. As much as I enjoyed reading the story, I found the errors too much to ignore. If not for them, the book could have gotten 4 stars. The story will be enjoyed by lovers of romance. It will also appeal to people interested in family relationships.

The Neighbour at Number 18
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Rosemary Khathibe's review? Post a comment saying so!

kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
2019 Reading Goal: 95
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 17
2018 Reading Goal: 115
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 94
2017 Reading Goal: 100
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 94
Currently Reading: The Royal Trials
Bookshelf Size: 253
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Fourteenth of September by Rita Dragonette

Post by kandscreeley » 28 Nov 2018, 09:24

The page numbering issue is quite odd; I wonder how that happened. Also, the characters and sexes changing would be off-putting. Add in the explicit content, and I don't think I'm going to be reading this one. Thanks, though.
“There is no friend as loyal as a book.”
― Ernest Hemingway

Caylie_Cat
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-caylie-cat.html
Latest Review: The Traveler's Best Seller by Rick Incorvia

Post by Caylie_Cat » 28 Nov 2018, 20:27

This book sounds a bit confusing. The plot seems to have lots of twists and turns, a changing cast of characters, and the page numbering issue would be quite off-putting to me. Great review, though!

T_stone
2019 Reading Goal: 70
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 5
2018 Reading Goal: 20
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 35
Currently Reading: Bluewater Walkabout
Bookshelf Size: 81
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-t-stone.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by T_stone » 29 Nov 2018, 04:28

The book look very confusing; shifting characters and gender. Although this contains information for young girls, I don't think I'll be reading this one. Kudos to you for reading the book and reviewing it.
Feeling upset sometimes may be unavoidable, but acting distressed is always optional.

Rob White

kdstrack
2019 Reading Goal: 100
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 20
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 106
Currently Reading: The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks
Bookshelf Size: 209
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: The Warramunga's War by Greg Kater

Post by kdstrack » 29 Nov 2018, 07:31

This book seems to have a lot of promise. The secrecy, the mystery, the romance all seem appealing. You also help others readers by pointing some of the difficult themes. The unresolved matters would also be unsatisfying. Thanks for your excellent analysis of this book. Great writing!

Book Lover 35
2019 Reading Goal: 20
2018 Reading Goal: 25
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 52
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-book-lover-35.html
Latest Review: VieVie La Fontaine by Linda Heavner Gerald

Post by Book Lover 35 » 30 Nov 2018, 00:46

I am curious about who this new neighbor must be. That's great that young women can learn from this book, even though it has graphic scenes in it. Thanks for the review!
:tiphat:

gen_g
Currently Reading: I, Claudia
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: Just Drive by Deke N. Blue

Post by gen_g » 30 Nov 2018, 02:18

This sounds really fascinating, if not for the messy structure. I also like that it's rather informative. Thanks for the review!

Kibetious
2019 Reading Goal: 120
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 2
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 49
Currently Reading: Adrift
Bookshelf Size: 564
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibetious.html
Latest Review: Corners by Amy Lou Jenkins

Post by Kibetious » 01 Dec 2018, 01:10

Such a captivating story. It is sad that the author was not able to maintain consistency in regards to information pertaining to some characters. I would like to read this book. Thanks for the wonderful review.
​​​​​​He gives strength to those who are tired; to the ones who lack power, he gives renewed energy :techie-studyinggray:

Bianka Walter
Previous Member of the Month
2019 Reading Goal: 45
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 11
2018 Reading Goal: 40
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 127
2017 Reading Goal: 0
Favorite Book: The Old Man and the Sea
Currently Reading: The Subtle Art Of Not Giving A f**k
Bookshelf Size: 332
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianka-walter.html
Latest Review: Legacy by Sean T. Smith
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Bianka Walter » 01 Dec 2018, 01:39

You know a book has hit the right mark when you get teary-eyed - so it's a pity that it lacked proofreading. I hope the author takes another look and tightens things up.
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss

Sarah Tariq
2019 Reading Goal: 25
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 8
2018 Reading Goal: 25
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 96
2017 Reading Goal: 15
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 46
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 70
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-tariq.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi
Reading Device: PDF

Post by Sarah Tariq » 08 Dec 2018, 02:08

It sounds an interesting plot with well-developed characters. I would surely give it a try. Great review.
Make your ideals high enough to inspire you and low enough to encourage you.

📕📖📰📓📕

Nusrat_Shabnam_
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nusrat-shabnam.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by Nusrat_Shabnam_ » 11 Dec 2018, 01:47

It is a really nice one to read avoiding the errors. Thanks for the honest and insightful review!

Sushan
2019 Reading Goal: 10
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 40
2018 Reading Goal: 10
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 230
2017 Reading Goal: 0
Currently Reading: The Emperor's Edge
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan.html
Latest Review: There and Back There Again by Andrew Alsup

Post by Sushan » 13 Dec 2018, 19:18

This one seems as an interesting book with your review. Thank you for the nice, detailed review 👍👍
"He has a right to criticize, who has a heart to help"

Abraham Lincoln

:techie-studyingbrown: $u$han €kanayak€ :techie-studyingbrown:

Kajori50
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kajori50.html
Latest Review: Adrift by Charlie Sheldon

Post by Kajori50 » 18 Dec 2018, 08:25

It is a pity that the book was not properly edited. Apart from that, it seems like a good read.

Thank you for the great review.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”