The Lost Symbol by Dan Brown-Review

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Booklover83
Bookshelf Size: 0

The Lost Symbol by Dan Brown-Review

Post by Booklover83 »

Another great book by Dan Brown! I like the way Brown writes with each chapter being so short because it makes the action seem to just go without a pause. I found this particular book to be interesting as it had to deal with things that could have been in our own country. Robert Langdon has always been a great character in Brown's books and this was no exception. I would say this was an easy read and very interesting even though I would be money that a lot of the "facts" in the book are embellishments on the part of the author for dramatic effect. A great read and so worth it.
StephenKingman
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephenkingman.html

Post by StephenKingman »

^ I really disliked The Lost Symbol as is practically a carbon copy of the Da Vinci Code wihout the freshness or originality of that novel. It seems Brown has picked his tried and tested formula of "historian uncovers an ancient truth with a sinister shadow organisation in pursuit of the same aretfect, all the while trying to ourun the authorities" and isnt going to change it..
You only live once.....so live!
Booklover83

Post by Booklover83 »

StephenKingman wrote:^ I really disliked The Lost Symbol as is practically a carbon copy of the Da Vinci Code wihout the freshness or originality of that novel. It seems Brown has picked his tried and tested formula of "historian uncovers an ancient truth with a sinister shadow organisation in pursuit of the same aretfect, all the while trying to ourun the authorities" and isnt going to change it..
I can completely understand what you mean. I think he has found a formula that seems to work for him. I will grant you that the base story is not that original and is somewhat a carbon of Da Vinci Code but I also think using the United States as a backdrop was a good idea. I guess it comes down to if it is not broken don't fix it for some of us. :)
Brigante1981

Post by Brigante1981 »

StephenKingman wrote:^ I really disliked The Lost Symbol as is practically a carbon copy of the Da Vinci Code wihout the freshness or originality of that novel. It seems Brown has picked his tried and tested formula of "historian uncovers an ancient truth with a sinister shadow organisation in pursuit of the same aretfect, all the while trying to ourun the authorities" and isnt going to change it..
Whilst I agree with the comment, it was still well written and the short chapters make it an easy read. I put it in the category of a good light holiday book.
mels s197

Post by mels s197 »

Decided to reread this one. For some reason, when it came out, I couldn't seem to get into it. I get into a funk sometimes.
anu_
Currently Reading: Idiot by Fyodor

Post by anu_ »

Did not like The Lost Symbol at all. The suspense was weak and even Langdon's logical philosophies did not impress me as much as he did in Da Vinci Code and Angels and Demons. My favorite remains Da Vinci Code, absolutely loved solving those cryptic riddles and anagrams.
"Children were playing when Holston climbed to his death" Wool by Hug Howey
A_dinky_camel

Post by A_dinky_camel »

The lost symbol put me off Dan Brown for good. It felt like he was writing it about langdon so he could get another movie deal with tom hanks and all that "weighing the soul" and magicy nonsense really annoyed me. Kinda got the impression he had joined a cult a.
Mistborn
Favorite Author: Brandon Sanderson
Favorite Book: The Way of Kings
Currently Reading: The Wise Mans Fear
fav_author_id: 4040

Post by Mistborn »

Not having read The Da Vinci Code or Angels Vs Demons, I thought The Lost Symbol was a great read. Alot of the things talked about in the book really get you thinking sometimes. I was highly interested in the Noetic Sciences, I had no idea such a thing existed. The whole craze with Freemasonry though, gets a bit old to me. Having family members that are Masons, I find any "secrets and mysteries" when it comes to Freemasons, is just anticlimactic. Masons arent so illusive and mischievous as to write about them as if they're a cult or some-such organization.
Sheila
Favorite Author: Impossible to pick
Favorite Book: Gone With The Wind
Bookshelf Size: 18

Post by Sheila »

I really enjoyed The Lost Symbol; as I did the other two; Angels and Demons is my favorite. I take with a grain of salt anything said about Masons though as I found in books and some historians for that matter sometimes it seems as although they can not explain it or need to prove some sort of theory and they are just "Oh let's blame it on the Freemasons" They have become histories whipping boys in my opinion.
I can say I am not sure Dan Brown was ever really original as with both the Da Vinci Code and Angels and Demons he took theories that already existed by some and set them in a story more so with the Da Vinci Code. I am not sure about The Lost Symbol but I would not be surprised if he did. All three are good brain candy though.
NJTraveler

Post by NJTraveler »

I love 90% of Dan Brown's novels... the first 90% of each book. He can write an amazing tale, but he can't seem to write himself out of a story. There always seems to be a massive build up, and then no logical payoff. That being said, I'll still read whatever he puts out.
marycatherinehayes

Post by marycatherinehayes »

even though I agree that The Lost Symbol, was a carbon copy of The Da Vinci Code, it was written brilliantly and I could not put it down. The way Dan Brown draws the reader into the book is the way any crime/thriiller author will do it. I absolutely love every single Dan Brown book, and each time I read I find his writing gets better, I am anticipatingly waiting for his next book to be published.
rekha123

Post by rekha123 »

Kudos to Dan Brown!
haydoiday

Post by haydoiday »

If someone does not know Dan Brown, at least heard about his controversial book, "The Da Vinci Code," released in 2003, sparked two great waves of opposition. Dan Brown became the acclaimed detective storyteller and boycott of Vantican. His writing career has glowed like the sun after millions of copies of the "Da Vinci Code" were consumed rapidly around the world. People began reading his earlier works, Digital Fortress (1998), Angels and Demons (2000), Deception Point (2001). A fever called Dan Brown broke out violently. The reader was fascinated by his books not only for the "startling" themes, but also for the enormous amount of knowledge contained therein. Six years have passed quietly, since the world was drowning in the "Dan Brown" phenomenon, readers have been saying each other: Dan Brown has all the power to "The Da Vinci Code", he has nothing to write half. Not long ago, Dan Brown declared to the world he was back. Six years for a book, the results of six years of study of "Dan Brown" are released to readers on the same day: 15/09/09 (15 + 9 + 9 = 33, Numbers throughout the storyline of The Lost Symbol). Will this piece of work rejoice fans and shakes the world again?

A skull filled with red wine like blood must be drained by the instructor if he wants to become a full member. The Lost Symbol began with a slightly devilish ritual of a powerful organization around the world. The preacher read the oath, completed the task, and officially joined. But to him, things just started, he had to go further, to be the first to be transformed ... into God ... To be like that he needs to unlock the greatest mystery of all time, Find the Ancient Portal with the help of a person.

Robert Langdon, a popular icon professor at Harvard University, as usual, practiced swimming, sniffing coffee and pastries at six in the morning without knowing it was a long day. The worst and worst of his life. An old friend, Peter Solomon, sent a fax and a text message to Langdon inviting him to Washington in the day to replace a deadline speaker at the last minute. Since then, Langdon has been inadvertently caught up in an adventurous journey [several times before] the same, seeing his own right-sided Solomon sneeze between the Washington Capitol, chased by the CIA and even fleeting. Seeing God's face when buried alive at midnight ... [The principle of the review is to let everything pass in the three dots here.]

[Back to the short story, what I like about this book is the name of it The Lost Symbol, a name, I think is two-tiered. One is the ancient mystery was lost, the two is a "thing" seems to have lost [try to re-read the first chapter 121 you feel "The lost" like me?

This book, very similar to one of Dan Brown's earlier works. It is also tragic. Legends also, ancient myths revolve with modern science that they become two sides of a coin. I do not know what motivates Dan Brown to return to this topic, perhaps it is his favorite subject.]

The code in The Lost Symbol is the same as the book itself. Dan Brown did not hide the end, rather he made a lot of suggestions for readers to be able to guess the end. Strangely enough, Langdon was not aware of it in the first place, and I believe we could hardly see the truth because Dan Brown was so talented he had misled us into the rush and Extremely attractive writing style. Let me tell you a little bit, if you really like speculation, if you're good enough to get rid of the temptation of the book, you'll find the ending very early.

For me, this book probably will not make the leap as its brother did many years ago. Dan Brown built such a monument that he himself could hardly break through. Anyway, The Lost Symbol is also a wonderful detective story, enough to quench the thirst of believers Dan Brown after six years of hard work waiting. [This book, huh? 8 points, The Da Vinci Code: 10, 10, 10 ^ _ ^]. [Well, there is one thing that TLSymbol do for me that TDVCode can not do is stop to do other things =)) =))]

Read The Lost Symbol go !!!! ?
Last edited by gali on 05 Jul 2017, 07:51, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Edited out "Official"
Ssinghal
Bookshelf Size: 1113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ssinghal.html
Latest Review: "Call Me Pomeroy" by James Hanna

Post by Ssinghal »

I did not find the Lost Symbol to be very interesting since it was almost similar to the other novels of Dan Brown, especially Da Vinci Code. There was no new thing and the book was a complete copy of his previous books.
A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies, said Jojen. The man who never reads lives only one...
-George RR Martin
Latest Review: "Call Me Pomeroy" by James Hanna
SilviaP21
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-silviap21.html
Latest Review: "That Place of Knowledge" by Philip Alan Shalka

Post by SilviaP21 »

I think Dan Brown has other books to make him feel more proud than The Lost Symbol. But I still liked it. I love his style and I can't wait to see what else he has prepared for us
Latest Review: "That Place of Knowledge" by Philip Alan Shalka

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”