Review by Power Onyango -- McDowell by William H. Coles

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Power Onyango
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-power-onyango.html
Latest Review: Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

Review by Power Onyango -- McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by Power Onyango » 22 Nov 2018, 07:15

[Following is a volunteer review of "McDowell" by William H. Coles.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The novel McDowell is by William H. Coles is about Hiram McDowell. Hiram's second wife died has just died in the summer of 1999 a few weeks after her 45th birthday. She was her second wife having divorced earlier with her first-time wife. After, the death of his second wife, he falls in love again with Carole, a clinical psychologist. They later get married and married and move in together with their kids. Carole like Hiram was having children from her former relationships. She had two kids whereas Hiram had three kids. Family life is moving on well. A home of medics!

Hiram is an ambitious man and is planning on running for the presidency of the International college of surgeons. Until now he had been serving as a regent of the medical directors’ board of the same federation of surgeons. However, he wanted to be the president. It is only the presidency that would give him the authority he needed. There are certain things that only the presidency would do. As the adage goes, power corrupts and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Hiram is power hungry and is willing to do anything to ascend to the presidency.

I admired Hiram's compassionate nature. He shows concern for kids in dire medical need. He is disturbed by the situations and has desire to save them. Apart from that, Hiram is concerned about the well-being of all his children. He treats them equally and is always interested on how they are doing in school. The true qualities of a modest father. He has mastered the children behaviour and could tell when something was wrong. For instance, he observes Carole's girl and notices that all is not okay. How lovely of him. Her relationship with the kids is a cordial one. That was an added point in their family life.

Another area I cherished in the novel is the author's rich writing style. The styles aided in the delivery of book's masterpiece. That was a plus. For instance, there are many circumstances in which the author has used irony. One such situation is when Hiram tells his wife that she is the person who needs to change her attitude for the sake of their family when she confronts her with promiscuity allegations. An allegation which were in itself sound and true. That just made me laugh. Additionally, other actions happening around Hiram’s life were constant sources of amusement and in the process broke the monotony.

This book is a classic novel and I had no real issues with it. I would recommend it to all persons in the medical fraternity. its theme revolves around the happenings in the medical field. Persons having problems in the marriage life can also read this book. However, I would advise against introducing this novel to persons interested in political offices. I rate this novel at 4 out of 4 stars. Its content delivery was masterclass. I really enjoyed reading the book

McDowell
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords

Like Power Onyango's review? Post a comment saying so!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”