Official Review: Followers of Lightning by Charles Bentley

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
ritah
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 03345">The Darziods' Stone</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 184
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ritah.html
Latest Review: The Secrets To Living A Fantastic Life... by Dr. Allen Lycka & Harriet Tinka

Official Review: Followers of Lightning by Charles Bentley

Post by ritah »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Followers of Lightning" by Charles Bentley.]
Book Cover
1 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

According to Charles Bentley, Followers of Lightning is based on a true story. The novel offers what could have been a compelling narrative if not for the issues that marred its pages. The book takes readers to the lead character’s troubles in England and the effect of his home country’s (Zimbabwe’s) economic decline on his early years. In addition, the narrative takes readers on a hike through the rocky mountains and lands of South Africa in search of rock art and indigenous medicinal plants.

After losing his job, the main character of this novel, a botanist, sends his CV in countless directions without success. At first, his long-term girlfriend supports him, but as the state of his joblessness lingers, their relationship dynamic shifts. Insecurities, depression, and uncertainties over his new reality dig deep into their beings. Will their relationship survive the challenges life throws at them? Just when he’d resigned to his new situation and struggles, a ray of hope shines through in his life, when he receives an offer that requires him to travel to Africa as a bioprospector in search of medicinal plants that will be of use to the pharmaceutical industry. While there, he is introduced to a plant with special properties used by the San people. Initially, he is excited by ‘his find’, but the more he reflects on it, the more he realizes that in order to do his job, he would have to steal from the local people. Conflicted by his desires to make money, ‘discover’ something that might benefit others, and keep the secrets of the San people, what will his ultimate decision be?

What stood out to me most was the first-person narrator’s interesting and sometimes poetic descriptions of his surroundings. His insightful commentary about places he had lived in intrigued me and often left me with much to ponder on, especially because I’ve had extended visits to the countries discussed. Another aspect I liked was that there was good description of characters and that the main character had depth and an interesting backstory.

There were aspects of the book that I found underwhelming. I attribute this to the structure of the plot being disorganized at times. There were times when the situations the characters’ found themselves in got intense only for the build-up of the plot to completely fall flat. Strangely, there were also instances where things just seemed to happen with no tension or build-up to the event. Additionally, there were no chapter titles or numbers to indicate the beginning of different chapters. Further, some of the chapters seemed to end and begin abruptly at random places in the story, making the narrative feel somewhat discontinuous.

Other issues I encountered in other parts of the narrative included a number of choppy sentences that gave the writing an unsophisticated feel. In addition, there are numerous grammatical errors present in the text. Most of these errors were the omission of commas after introductory words and phrases and the misuse of commas. These grammatical failures interrupted the flow of the narrative.

There is a lot of potential in this story. However, the copy I read didn’t read like a publish-ready copy due to the issues found. It’s clear that this book needs an editorial perspective, and once all its issues are sorted out, it will be well on its way to being a worthwhile read. I really liked the informational bits about the indigenous people, various places visited, and medicinal plants. As a result, I went back and forth over the rating of this book, but ultimately, the cons of this book weighed it down, which is why I rate it 1 out of 4 stars.

Followers of Lightning
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like ritah's review? Post a comment saying so!
Book Lover 35
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-book-lover-35.html
Latest Review: VieVie La Fontaine by Linda Heavner Gerald

Post by Book Lover 35 »

Thank you for the honest and detailed review! Because of the plot, I think I'm going to keep looking. The cover looked a little interesting.
:tiphat:
Amanda Deck
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: A Sight For Psychic Eyes
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amanda-deck.html
Latest Review: Winds of Fall by Alberto Mercado

Post by Amanda Deck »

Darn, I wish it was ready for readers! The main character's dilemma sounds tough enough to make me want to know what he chose, and how it all worked out. I guess I'll have to keep an eye out for a revised copy sometime down the line.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Even without the issues, I'm not sure this would be to my liking. Nevertheless that fact that it's a bit disorganized and all over the place. Thanks for struggling through this one, but I'll take a pass.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Amy+++
Favorite Book: The Mister
Currently Reading: Last Chance Cafe
Bookshelf Size: 218
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy.html
Latest Review: The Chauvinist's Guide to Modern Romance by Morris Rollins
Reading Device: B01CRGNO4S

Post by Amy+++ »

Sounds like a great read, and you get to travel without leaving your home.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1749
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
fav_author_id: 78026

Post by Ferdinand_Otieno »

This is an interesting take on hardship, relationships, unemployment, growth, determination, and history based on a true story. The book is temporarily free on Amazon Kindle and has an interesting OnlineBookClub review. Congrats on the BOTD selection.
xsquare
Currently Reading: The Vanished
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-xsquare.html
Latest Review: Kitty and Kat - MiceQuest by Robert Beals III

Post by xsquare »

Thanks for the honest and candid review. The premise of the story seems interesting but it's a shame that the execution fell rather flat.
AntonelaMaria
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-antonelamaria.html
Latest Review: Voices of liberty in tribute to the American revolution by Robert Keiper

Post by AntonelaMaria »

Too bad about so many errors. It seems this book needs another round of proofreading. Regardless, I wouldn't be interested in reading this book right now. Great job with the review.
“Those who don’t believe in magic will never find it.”
The Minpins by Roald Dahl
Fasmin
Favorite Book: We are voulhire
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fasmin.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Ascension of Akistry by Matthew Tysz

Post by Fasmin »

At first, I was surprised a book with just one star was the book of the day. But now it's clear to me why, the story. I really like it. Considering how much humans have stolen from each other for personal gain, it intrigues me to know what the author will finally settle on and why. I just wish this book could have been professionally edited.
“Sometimes, you read a book and it fills you with this weird evangelical zeal, and you become convinced that the shattered world will never be put back together unless and until all living humans read the book.”
– John Green
Vickie Noel
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 86063">Are you afraid of the dark</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 868
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vickie-noel.html
Latest Review: Modern Day Cowboy by Nathaniel Sheft
Reading Device: B01C9JZEBO

Post by Vickie Noel »

I can imagine the author's challenges with losing his job and how that could have affected his relationship with his girlfriend. I wonder if they pulled through and what he did with his new discovery from the San people. Might have sampled the book had it not been for the errors. Thanks for the review.
Stop waiting for what you WANT, start working with what you HAVE. --- Seth Cain
Never be bullied into questioning your own credibility. --- Vickie Noel
Gift5
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gift5.html
Latest Review: Shield Down by William de Berg

Post by Gift5 »

Although the cover is unappealing to me, but the book looks like a good read. Thanks for the review.
Mohammad_Iqbal
Favorite Author: James E Doucette
Favorite Book: The Fountainhead
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mohammad-iqbal.html
Latest Review: Snatched Up to Heaven for Kids by Jemima Paul, Arvind Paul
fav_author_id: 117197

Post by Mohammad_Iqbal »

The word first person narrative caught my attention, secondly about traveling ad discovery. It excites me to know about teg life of people.
Magnify3
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-magnify3.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris

Post by Magnify3 »

I am curious to learn the decision the author makes about stealing from the San people in order to make money.
DEEPA PUJARI
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-deepa-pujari.html
Latest Review: Seemore the Seagull by Ralph Tufo
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by DEEPA PUJARI »

This sounds like a great book about the journey of a man’s life across continents. Nicely reviewed. Congratulations BOTD!
tarafarah7
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Mitch Albom
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... ">tuesdays with Morrie</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1437
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tarafarah7.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 2544

Post by tarafarah7 »

Thank you for your honest review. It was very helpful.

Based on a true story, the main character in today's BOTD faces personal and moral struggles as he discovers medicinal plants belonging to the San people. Readers will find themselves wondering what they would do if faced with similar situations. Filled with scenic descriptions and an engaging storyline, this first-person narrative sounds like an interesting read. Such a shame it didn't go through a more thorough editing process. Thank you, again! :-)

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”