Official Review: William and Tibby Forever by Lynda Hamblen

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Official Review: William and Tibby Forever by Lynda Hamblen

Post by Cecilia_L »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "William and Tibby Forever" by Lynda Hamblen.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Have you ever wondered or hoped that your beloved pets will be waiting for you in heaven? William and Tibby Forever is Lynda Hamblen's debut novel depicting the adventures of sibling cats and the charmed lives they lead, followed by their arrivals in heaven. Amusingly told from the perspective of the cats, the heartwarming story alternates between their idyllic life with Jane/Second Mom and her husband, Hon in the gray house on the hill and heaven.

Shortly after bringing home a female kitten with unusual markings that she names Tibby, Jane realizes her new pet is lonely and returns for Tibby's serious looking brother, William. The two kittens feast on sardines and cream, prowl in the green fields near the creek, and take long luxurious naps. With the exceptions of vet visits and their fear of the metal beasts residing in the garage, life is purrfect...until William is hit by a car. When he wakes up, he discovers he is in heaven with Third Mom who is caring for Second Mom's previous cats--all thirteen of them--until it is time for her arrival in heaven. With so many different feline personalities surrounding him, William struggles to grow in goodness so he can earn his halo. Meanwhile, Tibby is tested by the new addition to the family, Elvira--the tiny black kitten vying for Second Mom's attention. As the story unfolds, William is introduced to more of Second Mom's cats, as they continue to arrive in heaven. In the gray house, Tibby and Elvira become inseparable until a life-threatening illness affects the family. While there are highs and lows as the cats learn to adjust, what follows is a joyful reunion.

From the beautiful cover art to the idyllic ending, I enjoyed every moment of this charming read. The book was well-written and carefully edited. Though it's not necessary to be a feline lover to enjoy the story, it will delight those who are and can relate to the cats' amusing antics and assumption that the world revolves around them. For instance, "They felt that the attention and care she spent on Hon could have been better spent on them. In fact, William and Tibby couldn't figure out why Second Mom needed Hon at all. He was much too big to sit in her lap. And he never purred or rubbed against her legs after being fed, even though she spent much more time preparing his meals than she did theirs." Equally humorous was the author's portrayal of the cats' perceptions regarding the furless beasts lurking in the garage. "William and Tibby were convinced that every time the beasts roared out of sight, it was with the intention of devouring their occupants...They could only hope when that day came, it was the man and not Second Mom who was eaten."

There's a lot to like about this whimsical work of fiction. In addition to the accurate and entertaining portrayal of the cats, I was impressed by the author's ability to create the well-developed characters of Jane and Hon primarily through their dialogues and the cats' perception. Readers learn everything they need to know about Jane from the way she cares for and speaks to her pets, interacts with her husband, and grieves losses. Likewise, Hon, who isn't exactly a feline lover during much of the story, is relatable and becomes endearing as the story progresses. I also enjoyed the parallel stories of the cats' earthly and heavenly lives.

While I found no areas to highlight for improvement, I will say that the book moves at a leisurely pace making it an ideal weekend read. On the other hand, it probably isn't a book for readers who prefer a quicker pace. The book appears to be professionally edited as I noted a single error. I'm pleased to rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. I recommend it to animal lovers and readers who appreciate fiction stories related to heaven.

William and Tibby Forever
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Cecilia_L's review? Post a comment saying so!
Caylie_Cat
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-caylie-cat.html
Latest Review: The Traveler's Best Seller by Rick Incorvia

Post by Caylie_Cat »

As a cat-lover from childhood, this book sounds exactly up my alley (cat)! Seriously, I love how some people can see things through such different eyes and create delightful stories like this. Excellent review!
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

Caylie_Cat wrote: 19 Nov 2018, 00:29 As a cat-lover from childhood, this book sounds exactly up my alley (cat)! Seriously, I love how some people can see things through such different eyes and create delightful stories like this. Excellent review!
I think you'll enjoy this one, Caylie. Thank you.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I love pets, and this one sounds like a really charming book. I think I'd still be sad about William's death even though he ends up in heaven trying to earn his halo. Thanks for the review on this one.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
T_stone
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-t-stone.html
Latest Review: Marketing on Fleek by Kobi Ben Meir
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by T_stone »

Lately, I've been seeing reviews of books written in an animals point of view. I can't wait to get a hold of one, so as to understand better; the point of view of the author. Thanks for the detailed review.
Feeling upset sometimes may be unavoidable, but acting distressed is always optional.

Rob White
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

kandscreeley wrote: 19 Nov 2018, 09:38 I love pets, and this one sounds like a really charming book. I think I'd still be sad about William's death even though he ends up in heaven trying to earn his halo. Thanks for the review on this one.
Thank you.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

T_stone wrote: 19 Nov 2018, 19:01 Lately, I've been seeing reviews of books written in an animals point of view. I can't wait to get a hold of one, so as to understand better; the point of view of the author. Thanks for the detailed review.
Thanks for your comment.
Chigozie Anuli Mbadugha
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Barnyard Buddies STOP for Peace
Currently Reading: When Leaves Fall
Bookshelf Size: 1583
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chigozie-anuli-mbadugha.html
Latest Review: Winning the War on Cancer by Sylvie Beljanski

Post by Chigozie Anuli Mbadugha »

Sounds like a fun read that will be enjoyed by animal lovers. Whether it is theologically correct is a subject for debate. However, the idea is a fun book from a cat's perspective. The truth is that what will be permissible in heaven is pretty much conjecture. A fabulously written review. Well done!
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

CambaReviewer wrote: 20 Nov 2018, 10:08 Sounds like a fun read that will be enjoyed by animal lovers. Whether it is theologically correct is a subject for debate. However, the idea is a fun book from a cat's perspective. The truth is that what will be permissible in heaven is pretty much conjecture. A fabulously written review. Well done!
Thanks for your comment.
charmperit
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charmperit.html
Latest Review: Pastoring is not what you think by Elijah Oladimeji

Post by charmperit »

I think this is an interstesting idea that will excite pet-lovers!
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

charmperit wrote: 20 Nov 2018, 21:25 I think this is an interstesting idea that will excite pet-lovers!
Thank you. I appreciate your comment.
Fozia-Bajwa
Currently Reading: The Newton Code
Bookshelf Size: 263
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fozia-bajwa.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by Fozia-Bajwa »

William and Tibby Forever by Lynda Hamblen is a book about the animals and the love and care for animals like cat therefore the word forever is used for them because after they have gone it is assumed to miss them.
kfwilson6
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by kfwilson6 »

"Second Mom" and "Third Mom" crack me up. I love the glimpses of the cats' thoughts you shared in your review. They make the book sound pretty witty. This one might be a bit slow for me, so it's not making it to the top of my list of books to read. I think people who are considered "cat ladies" would most like this book :)
MsTri
Favorite Author: Miranda Ann Markley
Favorite Book: The Spirit Seeds Book 1
Currently Reading: the Secret of Safe Passage
Bookshelf Size: 1033
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mstri.html
Latest Review: Suddenly Free, Vol. 1 by Yvette Carmon Davis
Reading Device: B07HZHJGY7
fav_author_id: 225682

Post by MsTri »

Every time I go to the Selection tab to pick a book, I see three or four - at least - that I consider before selecting my ultimate choice. This was one of those also-rans, and I'd even gone so far as to read the sample on Amazon. I'm glad that my instincts were correct and that it's a good book. I really adore well-written books that are "penned" by animals. Thanks for the review and confirmation.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

Fozia-Bajwa wrote: 22 Nov 2018, 10:42 William and Tibby Forever by Lynda Hamblen is a book about the animals and the love and care for animals like cat therefore the word forever is used for them because after they have gone it is assumed to miss them.
Thanks for your comment.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”