Official Review: Dings by Lance Fogan

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
ReviewerDiksha
Currently Reading: The Katharina Code
Bookshelf Size: 151
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reviewerdiksha.html
Latest Review: A Brighter Tomorrow by Lori Schneider, MD

Post by ReviewerDiksha »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Dings" by Lance Fogan.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

This story starts on an unfortunate night when everything changes for the Golden family. Sandra Golden had a happy family. Her kids, Connor and Madison, were bright and playful. Her husband, Sam, was serving in Iraq. Even though she terribly missed him, she knew that, in a few months, he would be back for good and everything would go back to normal. However, before Sam’s return, she encounters some trouble with her son. She gets a call from his school where his teacher reports Connor’s inconsistent and reckless behaviour towards his studies. While this seems like a small problem, bit by bit, it starts to take shape and, after a few months, reveals itself as a monstrous crisis that changes the course of the Golden family’s life.

Dings by Lance Fogan is about a mother who has just discovered that her eight-year-old son suffers from epilepsy. Through the story of the Goldens, it covers a lot of ground about this disease, all the while, educating the audience about it. There are a lot of things that people don’t know about epilepsy, due to which, they tend to form many misconceptions about it. This book shatters such illusions and presents a clear picture, especially about the basic things. It also serves as an education for parents to keep a close eye on their children and take note of every abnormal activity, so that, if there is a problem, it can be diagnosed, and dealt with, as soon as possible. There are a handful of technical terms in the book, and some people might have difficulty understanding them. For this, the writer has added a glossary at the end of the book to give proper information about everything.

When it comes to the audience, some people might think about passing over the opportunity of reading Dings. I would strongly suggest against it. First of all, this book needs to be read because it has a very critical issue as its theme. People should know about the things that this book is talking about, and hence, they must read it. Another reason that might make people refrain from reading it is that they might think that this book is about a disease and hence, will not entertain them. I am glad to tell them that they’d be wrong in thinking this. Had the writer decided to simply write a book about epilepsy, perhaps, even I wouldn’t have read it. Non-fiction, especially about diseases, and those that don’t concern us, rarely catch our attention. Perhaps, Lance Fogan realised this and decided to add a twist to the book.

The writer has very cleverly embedded all the info about epilepsy into the story of a family. The storytelling is quite imaginative. It doesn’t follow a chronological order, and this is what makes it more interesting. At times, it feels like a crime thriller, in which the disease is the perpetrator and breadcrumbs are thrown throughout the story to reveal its identity! In truth, the writing style is the true hero of this novel. The story is told from the point of view of a mother which places its perspective at a very critical angle. There are a lot of emotions, both happy and sad, in it and parents will highly relate to the Goldens. In addition to epilepsy, this book also talks about things like PTSD, the situation of a single mother, and the struggles of raising children. So, there is a wide spectrum when it comes to the things that the author wants to focus on.

My rating for this book is 4 out of 4 stars. There was absolutely nothing that I found lacking in it. It had great subject matter, its writing style was highly engrossing and its characters were acutely relatable. It wasn’t difficult to form a bond with the characters as they easily gained our sympathy with their situation, made us like them because of their strength and humanized themselves because of their flaws. It was very educational as well as an entertaining story, and I think everyone should read it.

Dings
View: on Bookshelves

Like ReviewerDiksha's review? Post a comment saying so!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Well, at the beginning of the review, I didn't think that epilepsy was the direction the book was going. It sounds quite interesting, though. I'm curious about this family and their struggles and how the author entertains the reader. I'm glad you enjoyed this one, and it sounds like one I should check out! Thanks.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
charmperit
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charmperit.html
Latest Review: Pastoring is not what you think by Elijah Oladimeji

Post by charmperit »

I think this is an informative book on epilepsy and can help to break misconceptions entailing the disease. A
Book Lover 35
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-book-lover-35.html
Latest Review: VieVie La Fontaine by Linda Heavner Gerald

Post by Book Lover 35 »

My sister and my brother both have epilepsy, so I would be interested in learnng more about it. I hope her son will be alright. Thank you for the review!
:tiphat:
Caylie_Cat
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-caylie-cat.html
Latest Review: The Traveler's Best Seller by Rick Incorvia

Post by Caylie_Cat »

The son of my friend was also diagnosed with epilepsy after his schoolwork became a terrible problem to him. To look at this child, he is bright and normal, but unable to read or concentrate for more than a few seconds. I am glad this book highlights this difficult condition and I hope it helps readers to understand that some illnesses are invisible. Thank you for a thoughtful review!
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

A story about a woman's struggles with her son's epilepsy and her Husband's PTSD sounds very touching. It is helpful that the author uses his medical expertise to explain the conditions and break misconceptions. That the book is both educational and entertaining is a plus. Thank you for the review!
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Ruba Abu Ali
Currently Reading: Notes on a Nervous Planet
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruba-abu-ali.html
Latest Review: Grammar for a Full Life: How the Ways We Shape a Sentence Can Limit or Enlarge Us by Lawrence Weinstein

Post by Ruba Abu Ali »

This book strikes a chord for me! It conveys rich information within the context that's both relatable and inspiring. Thanks for the excellent review.
Renu G
Currently Reading: Masters and Bastards
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-renu-g.html
Latest Review: The Roving Mind: A Modern Approach to Cognitive Enhancement by Anthony Simola

Post by Renu G »

I have downloaded it on kindle. The review makes me want to read it to the end.
danielleamy
Favorite Book: The Handmaid's Tale
Currently Reading: OUT
Bookshelf Size: 114
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-danielleamy.html
Latest Review: Nocturnal by Tim W BYrd
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by danielleamy »

Like you said in your review, if this was just a medical book about epilepsy I probably wouldn't read it either. I only know a little about the condition so it'll be interesting to find out more from reading this. I've downloaded this one to read. Thanks for the review!
desantismt_17
Currently Reading: When Angels Play Poker
Bookshelf Size: 1313
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-desantismt-17.html
Latest Review: Sasquatch Did It! by Patricia Komar

Post by desantismt_17 »

This sounds like a lovely story with some truly useful information inside. Thanks for your review!
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
lizette
Currently Reading: The Mask of Perpetuity
Bookshelf Size: 37

Post by lizette »

The review is very good and give a clear picture how the family was affected by their sons illness and the doctors compassion and commitment. It also helps to change the perspective of society. I am looking forward to read this book.
Sirajuddin A
Currently Reading: Make Your Message Matter
Bookshelf Size: 554
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sirajuddin-a.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi

Post by Sirajuddin A »

Epilepsy found a place in fiction and the author of this book brilliantly crafted a story which revolves around this disease.
ObsessedBookNerd
Favorite Book: Moon Called
Currently Reading: Morning Is Always Nigh
Bookshelf Size: 882
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-obsessedbooknerd.html
Latest Review: 30th Century: Escape (First Edition) by Mark Kingston Levin, PhD

Post by ObsessedBookNerd »

The review made the story seem like a must-read. The characters seem to be well developed and compelling to read about. I personally don't have interest in reading about epilepsy or PTSD. I also don't like to read about psychology. I think that I will pass on reading this book.
Lisa A Rayburn
Currently Reading: Fluff Dragon
Bookshelf Size: 267
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisa-a-rayburn.html
Latest Review: Nightlord: Sunset by Garon Whited
Reading Device: B018QAYM7C

Post by Lisa A Rayburn »

As a Special Education teacher, I appreciate the author bringing attention to this disability. Sharing the information in story form is brilliant! Great review.
Books are my self-medication. 8)
MsTri
Favorite Author: Miranda Ann Markley
Favorite Book: The Spirit Seeds Book 1
Currently Reading: the Secret of Safe Passage
Bookshelf Size: 1033
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mstri.html
Latest Review: Suddenly Free, Vol. 1 by Yvette Carmon Davis
Reading Device: B07HZHJGY7
fav_author_id: 225682

Post by MsTri »

My daughter had petit mal when she was little (she outgrew it in her teens), and I'd rather not relive the stress and strain of those days, so I'll pass on reading this. Thanks for the review, though.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”