Review by Nerea -- McDowell by William H. Coles

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Nerea
2018 Reading Goal: 10
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 80
Currently Reading: Asa's Gift
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nerea.html
Latest Review: I Can See Peace by Julie Penshorn

Review by Nerea -- McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by Nerea » 16 Nov 2018, 12:39

[Following is a volunteer review of "McDowell" by William H. Coles.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Have you ever read a healthy story that’s gripping right from the beginning? Well, McDowell by William H. Coles is one of those stories.

The protagonist, Hiram McDowell, is a father of three children, Ann, Sophie and Billie. Lost his second wife in death and married a third wife, Carole, but their marriage life didn't last for long and the results were not pleasant. Moreover, people would refer to him as a busy man with so many unrelated things. He was the president of the Board of Regents of the International Collage of Surgeons, Founder of a foundation that upfront a surgery center in Nepal, heads a department of surgery in Denver and was later nominated as the Secretary of Health and Human services. Some of his hobbies included hiking, running marathons and singing (pro-level musician).

Besides his career life and hobbies, he had a dire personality. To name a few, he was egoistic, selfish, demanding, an ambitious person who made up things for gain, deceptive, he would get annoyed on petty things and enjoy amble time away from his family. Despite the dire personality, he was a caring and supportive father to his children, who experienced a life full of drama and nightmares. Did they make it in life? Eventually, his career success and achievements in life turned from reality to a dream, he was accused of euthanasia and was incarcerated.

The book has 72 chapters but proportional. It’s divided in two parts whereby part one addresses Hiram’s success and achievements to his arrest and part two narrates of his life in prison and as a fugitive.

This is one of the great art of writing that the author gifted to the readers. The suspense in the story was intense and the ending of the story aroused shock and grief. The plot and characters are well developed. Though the plot portrayed gross output, the author was careful not to disappoint the sensitive and weak souls by not adding explicit and graphic scenes.

The narrative wasn’t limited to reported speech for the author allowed each character the freedom to express themselves. Each chapter is proceeded with the name of the city and of the character that helps the reader to identify the site of event and the character involved. This arrangement helps the reader stay on track in their reading. It’s quite appealing that the author acknowledged in his writing, people with uneducated country-born accent in English-speaking. He also brought to light how violent video gaming can lead to dire consequences. There were some interesting revelations about how some cultures in the society viewed and treated women.

In his writing, William H. Coles, focused on medical thriller, power, betrayal, Plight of women, unfaithfulness, artistry, writing, journalism, photography, investigative reporters, memoir, legal developments, political affairs, terror attacks, family, gun control, man-hunting and documentaries.

The lessons drawn from the story included the following; We all stumble but only the strong at heart rise and continue with the race. Majority today are searching for the meaning of life and they ask questions like, why are we here? And what does the future hold? Also, I learned that the writing quality should be based on facts or truth and not opinions or myth. A reliable Information is an asset of great value. The book mentioned of people who suffer from emotional distress and to ease their distressing condition they would opt to take on tasks that would keep them busy and away from causes of distress. Lastly, the golden rule recorded in the book of Matthew 7:12, “Whatever you want men to do for you, you must do to them,” sounded encouraging and refreshing too.

Though the book had a slight grammar error in chapter 27, missing words “is” and “an”, it didn’t interrupt my reading, which is why I will rate it at 4 out of 4 stars. Also, the writing was well composed, professionally edited, had an intriguing and engaging story that was realistic. I’d recommend the book to anyone who love reading and have interest in media or journalism, adventures, hiking and medical thriller stories.

McDowell
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords

Like Nerea's review? Post a comment saying so!
"Regular reading improves your grammar."

inaramid
2018 Reading Goal: 48
2017 Reading Goal: 10
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 75
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 30
Currently Reading: Siege and Storm
Bookshelf Size: 88
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inaramid.html
Latest Review: You Can Totally Do This by Joy Tonbara Ikumoinein

Post by inaramid » 18 Nov 2018, 08:45

Seems like there's a detailed character study here but an interesting plot as well. Thanks for the review.

gen_g
Currently Reading: Beyond Absolute
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: Sanguine-love by Iva Schubart

Post by gen_g » 18 Nov 2018, 11:00

I'm glad that there weren't many grammar errors; it also seems to be an interesting story. Thanks for the review.

kdstrack
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 101
Currently Reading: A Light in the Window
Bookshelf Size: 184
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: Out of the Darkness, Kaboe Valley by Frank Gee

Post by kdstrack » 18 Nov 2018, 14:59

I really like your description of Hiram. Your analysis of the narrative is quite interesting. Thanks for your review of this book.

Nerea

Post by Nerea » 18 Nov 2018, 15:27

inaramid wrote:
18 Nov 2018, 08:45
Seems like there's a detailed character study here but an interesting plot as well. Thanks for the review.
Thank you for checking my review

Nerea

Post by Nerea » 18 Nov 2018, 15:28

gen_g wrote:
18 Nov 2018, 11:00
I'm glad that there weren't many grammar errors; it also seems to be an interesting story. Thanks for the review.
I appreciate your comment.

Nerea

Post by Nerea » 18 Nov 2018, 15:30

kdstrack wrote:
18 Nov 2018, 14:59
I really like your description of Hiram. Your analysis of the narrative is quite interesting. Thanks for your review of this book.
Thank you for stopping by. I appreciate your comment.

Ijeoma Kikelomo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ijeoma-kikelomo.html
Latest Review: Killer Competition by Tom Kranz

Post by Ijeoma Kikelomo » 20 Nov 2018, 03:43

This Hiram seems like a truly fascinating character. I've read a number of reviews on this book and I must say yours is truly detailed, and you've painted a vivid picture of the book. Good job!

Nerea

Post by Nerea » 20 Nov 2018, 14:39

Ijeoma Kikelomo wrote:
20 Nov 2018, 03:43
This Hiram seems like a truly fascinating character. I've read a number of reviews on this book and I must say yours is truly detailed, and you've painted a vivid picture of the book. Good job!
Thank you for stopping by. I appreciate your kind comment.

T_stone
2018 Reading Goal: 20
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 30
Currently Reading: At the Mouth of a Cannon
Bookshelf Size: 74
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-t-stone.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by T_stone » 21 Nov 2018, 01:19

I've read and reviewed McDowell myself. I must say, it is a very engaging book. William H. Coles style of writing in this book is fascinating, and I think I like Sophie's character the most. This is a detailed review.
Feeling upset sometimes may be unavoidable, but acting distressed is always optional.

Rob White

Nerea

Post by Nerea » 21 Nov 2018, 03:55

T_stone wrote:
21 Nov 2018, 01:19
I've read and reviewed McDowell myself. I must say, it is a very engaging book. William H. Coles style of writing in this book is fascinating, and I think I like Sophie's character the most. This is a detailed review.
Can't agree enough. Thank you for stopping by.

Cotwani
2018 Reading Goal: 200
2017 Reading Goal: 200
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 9
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 4
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 159
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cotwani.html
Latest Review: Express Exec by Gary Brose

Post by Cotwani » 28 Nov 2018, 15:43

I'm glad you enjoyed the book as much as you did. McDowell is a character you hate and love! Great review!
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney

Nerea

Post by Nerea » 29 Nov 2018, 02:29

Cotwani wrote:
28 Nov 2018, 15:43
I'm glad you enjoyed the book as much as you did. McDowell is a character you hate and love! Great review!
Very true. Thank you for stopping by.

Espie
2018 Reading Goal: 12
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 116
Currently Reading: The Force Awakens
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-espie.html
Latest Review: Pastoring is not what you think by Elijah Oladimeji

Post by Espie » 03 Dec 2018, 21:40

The suspense in the story was intense and the ending of the story aroused shock and grief.
With all that is already written about this piece, the sad eventual outcomes have definitely convinced me that this isn't what I'm looking for now. Nonetheless, there's always hope no matter how bleak things have been made to really seem, and I look forward to better outcomes for all in real life even if it didn't happen in this book. Thank you for your honest review.
"Life has many different chapters for us. One bad chapter doesn't mean it's the end of the book."-Unknown
"To err is human; to forgive, divine."-Alexander Pope
"Put GOD first; He'll bless your efforts with success."-Proverbs

Nerea

Post by Nerea » 04 Dec 2018, 09:52

Espie wrote:
03 Dec 2018, 21:40
The suspense in the story was intense and the ending of the story aroused shock and grief.
With all that is already written about this piece, the sad eventual outcomes have definitely convinced me that this isn't what I'm looking for now. Nonetheless, there's always hope no matter how bleak things have been made to really seem, and I look forward to better outcomes for all in real life even if it didn't happen in this book. Thank you for your honest review.
Thank you for your honest comment.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”