Review by lucie_paul -- McDowell by William H. Coles

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
lucie_paul
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lucie-paul.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Review by lucie_paul -- McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by lucie_paul »

[Following is a volunteer review of "McDowell" by William H. Coles.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Ever felt guilty for doing something bad and wanted to make things right just to erase that guilt? The story of one Hiram McDowell in McDowell by William H. Coles follows. The intriguing novel comprises of two parts with a total of 72 chapters.

Dr. Hiram McDowell is a successful surgeon at the International College of Surgeons and a mountain climber. He is ambitious at all he does and is also a founder of a medical foundation. He lives an opulent life traveling and yet selfish and cares less about others around him. He is arrogant and a womanizer despite having a wife and three children. Sophie, his favorite child in her career in photography is greatly concerned with the plight of women in many parts of the world and travels many places to take pictures of them to tell their story.

In Hiram's stairway to success, he creates an enemy who determines to revenge due to an unfulfilled promise. He is famous and the media strives to show his achievements. Hiram's world somehow begins to take a turn. This arrogance leads him to commit a crime that imprisons him. He, later on, begins to wonder why bad things happen to good people, him being the "good person" in his own eyes. He sees as if everyone has betrayed him and he plays the victim not being able to see his wrongs.

My personal favorite was the part where he meets a woman, Maud who draws him in the right way of living and made him start thinking differently. I was intrigued to think that Maud could be his conscience speaking to him and making him see his wrongs. She may not be his conscience but she does play a huge part in Hiram's journey to redemption.

What I liked about this book is that we are taught the good morals of caring for others, being kind-hearted and selflessness. Character development and both feelings and thoughts were nicely expressed by the author and the story flowed very well.

Considering that McDowell is full of mature content, I would recommend this book to adults who love fiction novels. The book was professionally edited though I noticed some important scenes were very brief and needed more content. The book has so many characters that the names can be easily forgotten. Otherwise, I found this book to be very interesting, enjoyable and kept me wanting more. With that said I rate McDowell 4 out of 4 stars.

McDowell
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords

Like lucie_paul's review? Post a comment saying so!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”