Official Review: Scout's Honor by Dori Ann Dupré

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Sweet Psamy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sweet-psamy.html
Latest Review: Lost and Love: Thailand (Book One of the Lost and Love Series) by Stella Knights

Official Review: Scout's Honor by Dori Ann Dupré

Post by Sweet Psamy »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Scout's Honor" by Dori Ann Dupré.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

A woman’s honor is her pride. It is her belief in the very essence of womanhood that makes her complete enough to become a wife, helper, mother, and a lover. Each of these roles addresses specific areas in a man’s life that only a man who has loved before can see. No wonder Scout kept falling for such men. Reading Scout’s honor was terrific, enthralling, emotional, and self-appraising. I found myself questioning the factors that make a man and a woman love without restraint. Who is to blame? The man? The woman? Love? Who?

Born into a Southern Baptist family, Scout is surrounded by parents with an ideal-kind-of marriage. With plump cheeks and a name that sounds like a dog, Scout seems like the kind of girl any man would want to be around regardless of her age. Her life takes a different turn after she comes back from her last summer camp at Camp Judah. The unfolding events in the life of this young girl reveal the ups and downs that we never plan for when we choose to love. Would she ever recover? When and how? These and many more are some of the things you would find out as you read this emotional story. I had a hard time stopping myself from crying as I journeyed through this book.

I enjoyed every aspect of this book. The story had a lot of humor. I laughed on several occasions. What I particularly liked was the unique way the author described people and things. For example, “Rob-The –Mickey –Rourke look- Alike”, “guy-in – shorts sleeved –dress-shirt kind of place.”e.t.c. I really enjoyed this. This is because it made the story very entertaining and enjoyable.

Divided into 3 parts, each part sequentially led to the next part in the story. The theme of love and religion were interwoven to make this book a healthy read worthy of recommendation to a wide range of audiences. The story was narrated by each of the characters. This gave the reader a glimpse into the character’s mind, thought flow, motives, reasons and attitude. This contributed in making this book a balanced read with room for diversity and different thought patterns. The plot was captivating and suspense-filled. The author’s language was simple and concise enough to encourage a free flow of the story from start to finish. On the other hand, there were a lot of loose ends at the end. For example, what became of Brother Doug?

I would recommend this book to single parents, Christians, victims of child abuse, teenagers, parents, pastors, lovers of softball and basketball, and people who are trying to trace their family history. My reason is that each of these people would see a part of themselves in Scout. This book would appeal least to non-Christians and feminists. This is because of how Scout handles her relationships. Other religions may not find it appealing because the love theme is rooted in the Christian faith.

I found a lot of typographical errors in the book. For example, “Just weird a feeling, I guess.” This was what I enjoyed the least in the story. My reason is that it made me read some sentences twice in order to understand what was said. There were more than 10 of them in the book. I just kept effecting corrections.

On a scale of 1 to 4, I rate this book 2 out of 4 stars. I didn’t give it a 4 because it had more than 10 typographical errors. I also did not give it a 3 because the author did not tell us what became of Brother Doug. I think that would have made the entire story balanced and comprehensive. I gave it a 2 because it was very interesting and had an entertaining appeal from start to finish.

Scout's Honor
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on Smashwords

Like Sweet Psamy's review? Post a comment saying so!
Samantha Simoneau
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 240
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samantha-simoneau.html
Latest Review: Dancing With Jesus by Allison Broughton
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Samantha Simoneau »

I enjoy Christian fiction, but I think the need for more editing will keep me away from this one. Thanks for the balanced review!
Samantha Simoneau

“But upon the stage of life, while conscience claps, let the world hiss! On the contrary if conscience disapproves, the loudest applauses of the world are of little value."
~John Adams :greetings-clapyellow:
charity muthoka
Currently Reading: The Black Market
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by charity muthoka »

I have enjoyed reading the christian fiction.Thanks for this review.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I'm unsure about this book. It sounds fairly nice, and I do enjoy Christian fiction. I think I just have too much on my list right now to consider reading something like this that I think would just be okay for me. Still, I did enjoy your review. Thanks.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Caylie_Cat
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-caylie-cat.html
Latest Review: The Traveler's Best Seller by Rick Incorvia

Post by Caylie_Cat »

This is a very thoughtful review. A story with romance, self-appraisal, humour and a few quirks is always something that appeals to me. I'll keep my eye open for it.
Kristy Khem
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Carmela
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kristykhem.html
Latest Review: Hattie Vavaseur by M. Rebecca Wildsmith

Post by Kristy Khem »

Stories rooted in the Christian religion tend to show how the power of faith can help us overcome larger-than-life challenges. Scout's story seems like this kind of tale. Thanks for discussing the book's positive and negative points. The errors in the book are a turn off for me though.
sarahmarlowe
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: One Second After
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 191
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarahmarlowe.html
Latest Review: The best therapy by Jim LaPierre LCSW, CCS
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by sarahmarlowe »

Thank you for such a thorough review! (I picked up some pointers.)

This book sounds like something I would enjoy reading. I love Christian fiction, and I love books written in Southern settings. The main character's name reminds me of To Kill a Mockingbird, too. :)

I find it unfortunate that some budding Christian authors aren't able to get good editors.

Thanks, again, for your review.
sarahmarlowe
You can spend your time however you want, but you can spend it only once. :eusa-think:
C-Extra22
Currently Reading: Blessed By the darkness
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-c-extra22.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by C-Extra22 »

Wow! sounds like a captivating read. I can see you enjoyed it. Nice review.
Sweet Psamy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sweet-psamy.html
Latest Review: Lost and Love: Thailand (Book One of the Lost and Love Series) by Stella Knights

Post by Sweet Psamy »

Thanks everyone. Inspite of the errors, I still think this was a very captivating story. You should overlook the errors and you would surely enjoy the story. Blessings!

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”