Review by abramwhiz -- McDowell by William H. Coles

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
abramwhiz
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abramwhiz.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles
Reading Device: B00L89V1AA

Review by abramwhiz -- McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by abramwhiz » 13 Nov 2018, 20:24

[Following is a volunteer review of "McDowell" by William H. Coles.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

MCDOWELL BY WILLIAM H. COLES
McDowell by William H. Coles is a book that captivating and mind bending. The story is, full of love, vengeance, crime, regrets and hatred, focusing on the main character Hiram McDowell. The story, in my own opinion is, fascinating and unique. The story is divided into two parts. The first part, talks about Hiram McDowell’s comfortable life style and, the mistakes he made, which lead to his suffering. In the second part, the story begins with a plague, telling of an experience Hiram had climbing in the Himalayes. After that, the author describes Hiram’s life.

Hiram McDowell is a surgeon and a board member of the International College of Surgeons. He lives in Denver with his third wife Carole, (a widow before he got married to her) his son Billie and Carole’s daughter’s (Tasha and Candice). Hiram also two grown up daughters, Ann and Sophie from his first two wives. Hiram McDowell had opened a foundation Hospital in Nepal where he spent most of his time climbing and working, so Hiram is not always at home. At the International College of Surgeons, Hiram wants to become president, for that he meets Michael O’ Leary, (a member of the College Board of Governor’s Executive) to buy his vote, promising him promotion. When Hiram becomes president he refuses to fulfill his promise to Michael and, for that Michael tries to get revenge, which leads to Hiram McDowell’s suffering in the second part of the book.

The principal characters are, Hiram McDowell, a surgeon and president of the International College of Surgeons, he was also a nominee for secretary of Health and Human Services. Hiram is, also good at music, he sometimes plays with a group or, play music with someone. He plays the harp.
Paige Sterling, a TV host of a popular programme called “Week’s End”. She played an important role by writing Hiram’s Biography. Sophie McDowell, a photographer, who gathered a lot of information about women in the third world.

McDowell is a book everyone will love to read. The book has, a structure that you can’t even predict what will happen next, so as you read, event comes as a surprise which makes the reading interesting in the book, the author tried to use words, that makes the story looks real. What I love about the book is the plot telling about the life of Hiram McDowell and, others around him. And I also like the way the writer titled some chapters making the reader follow up. During the course of my reading, I don’t think there is anything that made me hate the book, so for that I will recommend this book for anyone who has interest in reading it.

I sincerely enjoyed this book and, I will rate it 4 out of 4 stars. The author has created an effective story. I gave it this rating because, the book deserves it, also for the plot and the characters being used, it is really mind bending. I’m sure anyone who reads it will love it.

McDowell
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords

Like abramwhiz's review? Post a comment saying so!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”