Official Review: All in the Head by Jean Francois Rogeon

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Ruba Abu Ali
Currently Reading: Notes on a Nervous Planet
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruba-abu-ali.html
Latest Review: Grammar for a Full Life: How the Ways We Shape a Sentence Can Limit or Enlarge Us by Lawrence Weinstein

Official Review: All in the Head by Jean Francois Rogeon

Post by Ruba Abu Ali »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "All in the Head" by Jean Francois Rogeon.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Did it occur to you that you might have lived several previous lives that were engrained in your subconscious and formed who you are today? How many strata do you have to shed off your soul to get to the core of your true essence?

All in the Head by Jean Francois Rogeon fits that bill. Binding psychological thrill and travel literature, the book takes us into a series of adventures, which span six continents and take place in different eras.

Using the third-person narrative, he introduces us to the world of Elise, our Australian protagonist, who had an unconventional life. She has psychic powers, which enable her to enter the mind of the person before her, reveal his inner thoughts, and manipulate him as she deems. The piercing gaze of her dark eyes has that effect on people, and it can make them restless.

In her adventures, Elise travels to Afghanistan, China, the Tibet, Paris, and Egypt among other places. What is she after in these travels? Are they all virtual? Where does the fine line between reality and dreams stop?

Elise is one of those characters that bewildered me through a good deal of the book. She’s a seductress at first glance, and a character you love and hate in equal measure. Her personality is woven from many strands, and it was not until she untangled the threads that I’ve understood what made her who she was. Few times love was the motive, but most times it was the insatiable appetite for control through the power of the mind and through seduction, what drove her to jump from one adventure to the other. The short-term sense of accomplishment was a driving force. She’s not all negatives as she might seem, as she was also close to nature and put efforts to preserve it.

Besides Elise, the book contained numerous characters that were all well-portrayed and brought to life. Each travel depicted a female protagonist, the life of whom impacted Elise’s life and formed a layer that pinned her down. The subjects of interest of these women had lively characters and were believable.

One character which stands out and is strongly present throughout Elise’s journey is Sam. He had a form of selfless love he bestowed on her, and he was supportive of her.

This book is exquisitely written, clear, engaging, and easy to read. Its narration is gripping and instills in you the sense of urgency to keep traveling with Elise until she’s able to take off all the layers and go back to the beginnings. What’s striking about All in the Head is that each story could stand alone in its own right.

I liked the vivid description of the diverse geography, the countries, the cultures, and the traditions. It reminded me of the epic Sindbad travels. I also liked the environmental awareness and the preservation of the ecosystems in the Baru people story.

Of particular interest was the organic coalescence of Elise’s real travels with her dreams and the flashes of memories of her past lovers.

The objectivity and the neutral approach of the author entranced me. He translates his knowledge of other places and cultures effortlessly. Through offering an insider’s look, he tackles several culturally sensitive issues without leading the reader. He rather gives you the liberty to draw your own conclusions.

That being said, I was frustrated was Sam’s helpless fixation on Elise. Additionally, I could sense a superficiality in most of her relationships. There is sufficient evidence of this throughout the text, but no spoilers are allowed!

All in the Head would appeal to those who love to dive into the depths of the human mind and psyche. I recommend it to those who want to satisfy their adventurous side by visiting various places and getting exposed to various traditions and different cultures. Readers seeking inspiration, a better knowledge of human nature, and the appreciation of the solace that arises from the loss and suffering will identify with this book. I can’t think of a set of readers who wouldn’t appreciate it or find something in it to identify with.

I found this book refreshing, inspiring, and horizon-broadening. I fell under the impression that it was professionally edited, as I only came across a handful of minor errors, like a missing letter or a missing preposition, which did not detract from my overall enjoyment of the book. Therefore, and without any shadow of a doubt, I rate All In The Head 4 out of 4 stars.

The author’s dedication at the beginning the book pretty much sums it all up, “To the restless and the wandering souls and to all the people who have inspired me, by being who they are.”

All in the Head
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Ruba Abu Ali's review? Post a comment saying so!
Samantha Simoneau
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 240
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samantha-simoneau.html
Latest Review: Dancing With Jesus by Allison Broughton
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Samantha Simoneau »

"All in the Head would appeal to those who love to dive into the depths of the human mind and psyche. I recommend it to those who want to satisfy their adventurous side by visiting various places and getting exposed to various traditions and different cultures. Readers seeking inspiration, a better knowledge of human nature, and the appreciation of the solace that arises from the loss and suffering will identify with this book. I can’t think of a set of readers who wouldn’t appreciate it or find something in it to identify with."
Well, I'm hooked. Thanks for the recommendation!
Samantha Simoneau

“But upon the stage of life, while conscience claps, let the world hiss! On the contrary if conscience disapproves, the loudest applauses of the world are of little value."
~John Adams :greetings-clapyellow:
Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

All in the Head would appeal to those who love to dive into the depths of the human mind and psyche. I recommend it to those who want to satisfy their adventurous side by visiting various places and getting exposed to various traditions and different cultures. Readers seeking inspiration, a better knowledge of human nature, and the appreciation of the solace that arises from the loss and suffering will identify with this book. I can’t think of a set of readers who wouldn’t appreciate it or find something in it to identify with.
Your review has certainly piqued my interest, Ruba! I enjoy reading these types of thrillers. Thanks for the excellent review. :tiphat:
charity muthoka
Currently Reading: The Black Market
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by charity muthoka »

I have learned about the three types of thrillers.Thanks for this review.
Ruba Abu Ali
Latest Review: Grammar for a Full Life: How the Ways We Shape a Sentence Can Limit or Enlarge Us by Lawrence Weinstein

Post by Ruba Abu Ali »

Cecilia_L wrote: 15 Nov 2018, 08:34
Your review has certainly piqued my interest, Ruba! I enjoy reading these types of thrillers. Thanks for the excellent review. :tiphat:
This book has all the elements necessary to make it a winning read. Thanks for going over my review, Cecila! Truly appreciated. :D
Ruba Abu Ali

Post by Ruba Abu Ali »

SamSim wrote: 15 Nov 2018, 07:44
"All in the Head would appeal to those who love to dive into the depths of the human mind and psyche. I recommend it to those who want to satisfy their adventurous side by visiting various places and getting exposed to various traditions and different cultures. Readers seeking inspiration, a better knowledge of human nature, and the appreciation of the solace that arises from the loss and suffering will identify with this book. I can’t think of a set of readers who wouldn’t appreciate it or find something in it to identify with."
Well, I'm hooked. Thanks for the recommendation!
Such a highly advisable read! Thanks for dropping by and for commenting. :tiphat:
Ruba Abu Ali

Post by Ruba Abu Ali »

charity muthoka wrote: 15 Nov 2018, 08:39 I have learned about the three types of thrillers.Thanks for this review.
Thanks for the comment! :tiphat:
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Even though this sounds interesting with travel to many foreign locales, I don't think it's for me. I'm not really a believer in past lives. Though this is fiction, I think that would be a major part of the story. The characters do sound fascinating, though. Thanks.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Ruba Abu Ali

Post by Ruba Abu Ali »

kandscreeley wrote: 15 Nov 2018, 10:36 Even though this sounds interesting with travel to many foreign locales, I don't think it's for me. I'm not really a believer in past lives. Though this is fiction, I think that would be a major part of the story. The characters do sound fascinating, though. Thanks.
I totally understand your perspective. Thanks for dropping by and sharing your thoughts. :tiphat:
T_stone
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-t-stone.html
Latest Review: Marketing on Fleek by Kobi Ben Meir
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by T_stone »

This is a very detailed review. This review has piqued my interest in the book. Definitely adding this book to my TBR library. Thanks for the detailed review.
Feeling upset sometimes may be unavoidable, but acting distressed is always optional.

Rob White
Ruba Abu Ali

Post by Ruba Abu Ali »

T_stone wrote: 15 Nov 2018, 20:08 This is a very detailed review. This review has piqued my interest in the book. Definitely adding this book to my TBR library. Thanks for the detailed review.
I hope you enjoy the book as much as I did. Thanks for commenting. :tiphat:
sarahmarlowe
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: One Second After
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 191
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarahmarlowe.html
Latest Review: The best therapy by Jim LaPierre LCSW, CCS
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by sarahmarlowe »

This sounds like a great novel with an unusual storyline. Thrillers like this are a fun read. You've posted a thorough review. Thank you!
sarahmarlowe
You can spend your time however you want, but you can spend it only once. :eusa-think:
Ruba Abu Ali

Post by Ruba Abu Ali »

sarahmarlowe wrote: 17 Nov 2018, 16:57 This sounds like a great novel with an unusual storyline. Thrillers like this are a fun read. You've posted a thorough review. Thank you!
Thanks for going over the review and for commenting.
Book Lover 35
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-book-lover-35.html
Latest Review: VieVie La Fontaine by Linda Heavner Gerald

Post by Book Lover 35 »

I like that the book takes place in many location. I don't believe in last lives but I do enjoy books about it. Thank you for the review!
:tiphat:
Ruba Abu Ali

Post by Ruba Abu Ali »

Book Lover 35 wrote: 17 Nov 2018, 21:21 I like that the book takes place in many location. I don't believe in last lives but I do enjoy books about it. Thank you for the review!
The elegant and the engaging description of the places and the cultures in this book is enough of a motive to get you to read it AND enjoy it. Thanks for the comment!

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”