Official Review: The Psychoanalysis of Everyday Life

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
MsTri
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Miranda Ann Markley
Favorite Book: The Spirit Seeds Book 1
Currently Reading: the Secret of Safe Passage
Bookshelf Size: 1033
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mstri.html
Latest Review: Suddenly Free, Vol. 1 by Yvette Carmon Davis
Reading Device: B07HZHJGY7
fav_author_id: 225682

Official Review: The Psychoanalysis of Everyday Life

Post by MsTri »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Psychoanalysis of Everyday Life" by Sheli Ellsworth.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

It's been said that everyone has a story, that many people's lives would make great movies. While some of the stories - like my own - would be tragedies with very few light moments, others would be comedies, full of funny moments, like Sheli Ellsworth's. In her book, The Psychoanalysis of Everyday Life; Sometimes I Pee When I Laugh, Ms. Ellsworth shares her "collection of humorous stories" in the hopes that we, the readers, can identify with "some of the absurdity we call life".

From the first anecdote, a funny little tale called plump shiny lips anyone? (lack of capitalization of the titles are the author's), I was chuckling and trying to imagine myself in the strange situations in which Sheli and her family find themselves. In the aforementioned yarn, the author bemoans the curse of having chipped lips when she'd love nothing more than to have plump, kissable puckers. Of the other 24 tidbits, my favorites were the pumpkin master, conejo chronicles, and the great colon caper. The first story tells of the time that her art-challenged husband took their child to a father-daughter pumpkin carving contest, returning with their own funny tales to tell. In the second yarn, the author tells of living in the land of bunnies and trying to replant her grass; her attempts to rid her lawn of the furry "little four-footed terrorists" had me rolling with gales of laughter. The last tale I mentioned tells of the author's colonoscopy travails. I myself turned 50 this year and have already put mine off for 2 years or more, and this story did not make me rush to schedule one, though it did make me chortle many times. Other highlights for me included ladybug lesson, remember the alamo, and the walnut polish, while the pug, the button, the insanity, and closet of guilt made me nod my head, wondering if I'd secretly written those chapters myself. You'll have to read the tome yourself to find out the specifics of these yarns that I mentioned.

I absolutely loved the author's voice while relating these tales. It was like I was in the studio audience while she, microphone in hand, regaled the audience. Even though the tales were all short, most taking up no more than 5 or 6 pages, she did a great job illustrating everything as well. I could fully picture all of the shenanigans that she and her kin were living through. Talk about 'fly on the wall' moments!

Sadly, the grammar wasn't nearly as spot-on. In addition to punctuation errors, the book had several compound words split in two and vice-versa as well as missing words. The author also occasionally lapsed into different verb tenses, slightly interrupting the flow. I therefore strongly urge Ms. Ellison to have the book edited so it can be an "A+" in form as well as content. It is due to these typographical errors only that I am forced to give The Psychoanalysis of Everyday Life 3 out of 4 stars.

With that being said, I am delighted to recommend this book to pretty much everyone. There's no graphic violence or sexual situations, so even the young can enjoy some of the tales, though they may want to skip that colon one that I mentioned. The only readers I can foresee not liking this would be those who have trouble seeing the humor in life or laughing at themselves.

"To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone, and a funny bone." - Reba McEntire

The Psychoanalysis of Everyday Life
View: on Bookshelves

Like MsTri's review? Post a comment saying so!
Caylie_Cat
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-caylie-cat.html
Latest Review: The Traveler's Best Seller by Rick Incorvia

Post by Caylie_Cat »

What an excellent review! For all that I am not a great fan of short stories, we can all do with a dose of humour and a belly-laugh from time to time, so this one will be on my list. Even the title made me smile...
Bianka Walter
Favorite Book: The Old Man and the Sea
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianka-walter.html
Latest Review: Thir13en by Keegan Nielsen
Reading Device: B06XD5YCKX

Post by Bianka Walter »

I was very close to picking this book to review - and after reading yours, I'm so glad I didn't. I wouldn't have nearly done it as much justice! I loved reading this - and I look forward to when you write your own book, MsTri (hint hint).
:)
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss
Sonya Nicolaidis
Favorite Book: McDowell
Currently Reading: The Dark Web Murders
Bookshelf Size: 403
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sonya-nicolaidis.html
Latest Review: My Delightfully Dysfunctional Family by Loraine Hartley

Post by Sonya Nicolaidis »

The cover made me think initially that this was one of those heavy-going books on psychoanalysis (I didn't quite catch the subtitle at first glance), so I was relieved and amused to read the chapter titles you mention. We all need to laugh a bit more so I'm sure I'd like to give this one a try - colonoscopy included! :D I enjoyed reading your review. Thanks!
TJanowski23
Currently Reading: Winning the battle against sin
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tjanowski23.html
Latest Review: Winning the War on Cancer by Sylvie Beljanski

Post by TJanowski23 »

This seems to be quite an entertaining collections. I'm not usually a fan of short stories but I may give this a try. I could use a good chuckle. Thanks!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I do love a humorous book from time to time, and this one certainly seems like it's good for a laugh. I definitely could be in the mood for this one right now. Thanks for the review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
sarahmarlowe
Favorite Book: One Second After
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 191
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarahmarlowe.html
Latest Review: The best therapy by Jim LaPierre LCSW, CCS
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by sarahmarlowe »

Well, the title of this book caught my attention straight away. It sounds like the author has a wonderful sense of humor. She must also have a gift for insight and storytelling.

Thank you for your thorough review. And, thank you for taking a star from the review for lack of editing. So many times, I see reviews posted of books I have read -- books that I know had well over ten grammatical mistakes -- and they are given all four stars.
sarahmarlowe
You can spend your time however you want, but you can spend it only once. :eusa-think:
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Thanks for another well-written review. I feel like the author should have reversed the title and subtitle for greater appeal. When I first started reading the review, I didn't notice the subtitle and thought the book was very serious and textbook-like based on the primary title. Anyway, the book sounds interesting despite the poor editing.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
MsTri

Post by MsTri »

Caylie_Cat wrote: 13 Nov 2018, 23:31 What an excellent review! For all that I am not a great fan of short stories, we can all do with a dose of humour and a belly-laugh from time to time, so this one will be on my list. Even the title made me smile...
Thanks so much for commenting!
MsTri

Post by MsTri »

Bianka Walter wrote: 14 Nov 2018, 01:26 I was very close to picking this book to review - and after reading yours, I'm so glad I didn't. I wouldn't have nearly done it as much justice! I loved reading this - and I look forward to when you write your own book, MsTri (hint hint).
:)
Awww, thank you so much! You just gave me my first real smile of the day! :-D
MsTri

Post by MsTri »

sonya01 wrote: 14 Nov 2018, 06:57 The cover made me think initially that this was one of those heavy-going books on psychoanalysis (I didn't quite catch the subtitle at first glance), so I was relieved and amused to read the chapter titles you mention. We all need to laugh a bit more so I'm sure I'd like to give this one a try - colonoscopy included! :D I enjoyed reading your review. Thanks!
Ha ha ha! Sometimes titles CAN be misleading, huh? And I'm going to make that appointment!...eventually. :-P
MsTri

Post by MsTri »

sarahmarlowe wrote: 17 Nov 2018, 17:08 Well, the title of this book caught my attention straight away. It sounds like the author has a wonderful sense of humor. She must also have a gift for insight and storytelling.

Thank you for your thorough review. And, thank you for taking a star from the review for lack of editing. So many times, I see reviews posted of books I have read -- books that I know had well over ten grammatical mistakes -- and they are given all four stars.
Thanks so much for your kind comments. And I agree with the grammar! Soooooooo many Amazon books are like this, so you'll see that I give way more 3 stars than 4s, but I also make mention if it's otherwise an A+.
MsTri

Post by MsTri »

bookowlie wrote: 19 Nov 2018, 16:45 Thanks for another well-written review. I feel like the author should have reversed the title and subtitle for greater appeal. When I first started reading the review, I didn't notice the subtitle and thought the book was very serious and textbook-like based on the primary title. Anyway, the book sounds interesting despite the poor editing.
I totally agree! I almost passed it up myself, but something made me take a closer look, and I'm so glad that I did.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”