Review by Kemunto lucy -- McDowell by William H. Coles

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Kemunto lucy
2018 Reading Goal: 20
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 195
Currently Reading: It's Easier to Dance
Bookshelf Size: 90
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kemunto-lucy.html
Latest Review: Roan by E. R. Barr

Review by Kemunto lucy -- McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by Kemunto lucy » 12 Nov 2018, 17:22

[Following is a volunteer review of "McDowell" by William H. Coles.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

McDowell is a work of fiction revolving around the life of Hiram McDowell; his rise to power and fall from grace. This book proves that choices have consequences and in this case, the choices made bring forth tragic consequences. It is written by William H. Coles.

Hiram is a successful neurosurgeon who's loved by his patients. He seems to have it all: Family, money, power, he is a harmonica player and also a mountain climber. He builds clinics in Nepal for the "people ". Behind this mask is an arrogant, egocentric and a self-entitled man who gets rid of whoever is on his way. He is in his third marriage, doesn't get along with colleagues at work and his children(Billie, Sophie and Tasha)are a full package of trouble. The children are from different mothers and at one point Billie impregnates his step sister, Tasha. Hiram's downfall begins when he dishonors a deal with Michael, a board member. Initially, they had agreed that Michael would help Hiram get the presidential seat then later he would make Michael an executive director. Michael does his part but Hiram on the other hand revokes the deal. Little does Hiram know that this one act will be his greatest undoing.

The book highlights greed for money and power. Hiram builds clinics and hospitals which people believe that he does it in good faith though his intentions are personal. Hiram is a selfish man who does things only for self gains. We see him eliminating anyone who seems like a barrier to his ambitions without blinking. He is not a good example of a father figure since his family only see him as their source of money. His colleagues find him to be mean; instead of building longer tables, Hiram builds taller walls.

The plot of the is awesome, it's been a while since I came across a strong and sensitive plot like this one. William has done a great job with characterization. Billie is the one character I wanted follow up on since he seemed to be the one who would be like his father. I loved seeing him grow from a young and irresponsible father to a good man, better than his father. The writing style is good with a few errors in punctuation. I also loved the twist in the second part of the book which keeps you wondering whether or not Hiram is a bad guy. This book filled with tension and action-packed, actually, I didn't realize that I reading the last pages.

I didn't like Hiram's perception of women. It's obvious that he disrespects women and sees them as a source of entertainment and pleasure. I also didn't like the abuse of women, that always turns me off.

Having said all that, I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. The plot carried the day. Also Hiram's journey to redemption was so emotional, after all, everyone deserves a second chance. The book is a fun and adventures read. This is a book for the strong hearted since there is abuse and violence. I recommend it to anyone who loves family drama and violence fiction.

McDowell
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords

Like Kemunto lucy's review? Post a comment saying so!
Latest Review: Roan by E. R. Barr

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”