Official Review: The Real News! by John Bernard Ruane

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
While in the forum's younger and less active days this used to be the one and only forum for "reviews and discussions about specific books", this is now just the subforum "other fiction" in a more well-organized "reviews and discussions about specific books" section with subforums for each genre. Check it out! :) Remember, the forums in the reviews section (including this forum) are for posting about a single book or series in topic, and the topic title should include the book's title. If you are creating a new topic, please try to post it in one of the other genres rather than posting it here in the "other fiction" section. This is only for books that do not fit in any of the other genre categories we have listed.
MsTri
2018 Reading Goal: 12
2017 Reading Goal: 0
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 366
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 15362">The Prodigal Son</a>
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 400
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mstri.html
Latest Review: The Black Canary Diamond by Barbara L Lefka
Reading Device: B00L89V1AA

Official Review: The Real News! by John Bernard Ruane

Post by MsTri » 11 Nov 2018, 15:53

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Real News!" by John Bernard Ruane.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Wikipedia defines "fake news" as "a type of yellow journalism or propaganda that consists of deliberate disinformation or hoaxes spread via traditional print and broadcast news media or online social media". Now, that may be the "official" definition, but let's get real for a moment. In this day and age, the term is used to describe any news that the current Commander-in-Chief believes sheds him in a negative light or that he just doesn't like, whether it's actually "true" or not. Author John Bernard Ruane takes the current usage and runs with it in his entertaining tome, The Real News! The Never-Before-Told Stories of Donald Trump & Fake News!

This satirical collection gives us "the REAL news" that we've never heard before, and it's a funny ride. While the stories therein are obviously not quite true, they do have just enough realism in them to be almost correct. In fact, I almost forgot that they were made-up a few times, but the description of Paris Hilton as an "actress" quickly reminded me. There were also some stories that I wished were factual. Nearly all of the tales show President Trump in a less than favorable light, but they do show the POTUS as he is; that is, his mannerisms and speech patterns are true to form. The yarns are also populated by famous media personalities, all of whom are portrayed as they really are, though exaggeratedly so in some instances.

Out of the fifteen tales included, my favorites were The Most Shocking Political Achievement in American History, Trump Delivers on Bold “Fifth Avenue” Campaign Statement, and Hardball Grabs Congress by the Lug-Nuts. The first story details a study done on hardcore Trump supporters to find out why they approve of anything he does. The test subjects' physical tests include walking and chewing gum at the same time and trying to tell the difference between their butts (another word was actually used in the tale) and a hole in the ground. I was shaking with laughter by the end of that one. The second yarn I mentioned is about the day that Donald Trump actually shot somebody on Fifth Avenue just to see if his supporters would still stand by him. The third of my favorite tales sees the host of the national cable news program, Hardball, Chris Matthews, verbally take on the lug-nuts industry during his first session in Congress. I have to admit that I was cheering by the end of the tale. The last several stories in the tome veered away from President Trump and instead focused on other "titans of the news media" like John Stewart, Stephen Colbert, and Matt Lauer. Of these yarns, my favorite was Why David Letterman Went to Netflix. The story finds the night-time talk show host becoming fed up with his job on The Late Show with David Letterman thanks to an insufferable guest.

All of these yarns were told in a factual tone with exaggerated descriptions of the protagonists. Famed investigative journalist, Richard Koogen, for instance, was described as "a handsome, middle-aged, veteran reporter, who maintained a slim hip look with a full head of greying black hair combed neatly to the side". Upon his introduction, he proceeded to speak "in his famously low, gravelly voice, reminiscent of a jazz DJ working a smoke-filled room of Jack drinkers in one of the swanky Manhattan Clubs; a place Koogen would feel right at home". I looked forward to meeting each person, just to see how Mr. Ruane would describe them. While reading, I had the feeling that the author enjoyed himself while writing these tales, and I could almost see him sitting as his desk with his tongue firmly implanted in his cheek.

Unfortunately, this compilation is full of grammatical errors, including punctuation missteps, missing words, incorrect word usage, and issues with hyphenation. Due to these typographical mistakes, I am forced to give The Real News! 3 out of 4 stars.

When I selected this book, the author requested a reviewer who is Independent, but I think that Democrats or anti-Trump citizens will like it more than Independents or Republicans. I therefore recommend this book for readers who fit those political leanings, though Republicans or Trump supporters who don't mind laughing at the President and themselves may enjoy it as well. Readers who like political satire may also want to give this one a look. Lastly-

BREAKING NEWS: Famed Book Reviewer MsTri Finishes Her Latest Review! Fans are shocked by her words while President Trump declares the review "fake".

The Real News!
View: on Bookshelves

Like MsTri's review? Post a comment saying so!

fredrick otieno
2018 Reading Goal: 50
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 8
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fredrick-otieno.html
Latest Review: Kennedy's Revenge by Stephen L Rodenbeck

Post by fredrick otieno » 12 Nov 2018, 10:33

The satirical takes reflects a lot about POTUS. This is a must read for me. I love anything satirical, thanks for this great review.

Hannanfun51
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Hannanfun51 » 12 Nov 2018, 11:21

Nowadays its hard to believe on news of social media. The way the author clarifies in this book about the fake and real news will surely open the eyes of a reader.

Franc93
2018 Reading Goal: 20
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 10
Currently Reading: Demon
Bookshelf Size: 103
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-franc93.html
Latest Review: Guilt by David Taylor Black
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Franc93 » 12 Nov 2018, 11:22

The idea that the author settled on a contemporary satirical piece and executed it to the best of his/her ability deserves acclaim. Despite the numerous errors and missing words i believe this would indeed make for a good read when one is having a long day. Your review was very illuminating, and that is not fake news. :D
"Are you going to sit there and feel sorry for yourself, or are you going to reshuffle those cards life dealt you."- Stick

Bianka Walter
Previous Member of the Month
2018 Reading Goal: 40
2017 Reading Goal: 0
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 127
Favorite Book: The Old Man and the Sea
Currently Reading: In a Cottage In a Wood
Bookshelf Size: 328
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianka-walter.html
Latest Review: Me and My Sparrow by Yvonne Valle
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Bianka Walter » 12 Nov 2018, 14:55

MsTri wrote:
11 Nov 2018, 15:53
BREAKING NEWS: Famed Book Reviewer MsTri Finishes Her Latest Review! Fans are shocked by her words while President Trump declares the review "fake".
:lol2: :lol2:
Love this
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss

T_stone
2018 Reading Goal: 20
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 35
Currently Reading: Beyond Cloud Nine (Beyond Saga Book 1)
Bookshelf Size: 74
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-t-stone.html
Latest Review: At the Mouth of a Cannon by Kevin Annett

Post by T_stone » 12 Nov 2018, 15:04

I'm very interested in this book. I just reviewed a book that's the opposite of this 'The Red Wave Imperative' by Alan Schein. Alan Schein is a strong supporter of the Republicans. Getting to read a book with opposite point of view, written by a Democrat supporter will be very interesting. Thanks for the review.
Feeling upset sometimes may be unavoidable, but acting distressed is always optional.

Rob White

Dael Reader
Currently Reading: The Story of Arthur Truluv
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dael-reader.html
Latest Review: Extraordinary Stories From Everyday People (and me) by Les Clark

Post by Dael Reader » 12 Nov 2018, 19:24

I love this review. It sounds like a fun read for someone like me. I need to find reasons to laugh again instead of just rolling my eyes about the "real" news. Unfortunately, I tend to be a stickler for grammar. But I might have to risk the potential irritation to get a good laugh.

Book Lover 35
2018 Reading Goal: 25
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 48
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-book-lover-35.html
Latest Review: 360 Living: Practical guidance for a balanced life by Jacquelyn Salvador and Yvon Dalat

Post by Book Lover 35 » 12 Nov 2018, 22:48

I like your point at the end. I think Democrats would enjoy this book more. The stories seem funny but a book about Trump doesn't keep my interest. Great review!
:tiphat:

kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
2018 Reading Goal: 115
2017 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 93
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 94
Currently Reading: End of the Last Great Kingdom
Bookshelf Size: 235
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Third Thaw by Karl J. Hanson

Post by kandscreeley » 13 Nov 2018, 08:46

I still believe that there should be some level of respect for our president whether or not we like him or his policies. Therefore, I won't be reading this book. I'm glad that you enjoyed it, and I'm sure you won't be the only one.
“There is no friend as loyal as a book.”
― Ernest Hemingway

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”