Official Review: L’Amérique by Thierry Sagnier

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 685
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Official Review: L’Amérique by Thierry Sagnier

Post by Manang Muyang »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "L’Amérique" by Thierry Sagnier.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Meet Jeanot in L’Amerique. He is a ten-year-old Parisian boy who immigrates to the United States in the late 1950s. While author Thierry Sagnier identifies his work as fiction, I have a strong feeling that it is largely based on his own childhood. Thierry is French-born and moved to America as a young boy.

The story starts with Jeanot in post-WWII Paris. We encounter the wacky people in his Paris life: his Papa and Maman, his Oncle Yves, his great-aunt Tatie, their building concierge and several maids, their American-family tenant, his best friend Babette, and his rival for Babette’s affections, Dede. Many of Jeanot’s experiences are hilarious. Part of the tenant’s rent is paid via delightful PX goods. His quirky Oncle Yves has amorous designs on his Papa. The concierge Kharkov, a Russian émigré, regales Jeanot with his expert knowledge of American trivia, some of which are ridiculous exaggerations. We also see Jeanot face some boyhood difficulties, including punishment (usually he has “all four cheeks afire”) for his mischiefs and puppy-love heartaches. Then, for reasons not clear to Jeanot, his parents decide to move to America.

What happens next is a little boy’s awakening to a new culture. His fantasy world of cowboys and Indians, his Maman’s vision that everything good happens in America, and Kharkov’s dream destination: are these what Les Etats Unis will prove to be?

We are effortlessly transported to 1950s France and America, with the author naming famous symbols of those times. Acclaimed filmmaker Jean Cocteau (of the first Beauty and the Beast film), Coco Chanel, kid magazines Tintin and Spirou, Le General Charles de Gaulle, Procter & Gamble’s Tide and Prell, Tyrone Power (who played Zorro), and the musical Oklahoma! are some. We see that era through the eyes of a young boy, with his refreshing naivete and curiosity.

The book was a pleasure to read; the author’s wit had me chuckling a lot. I don’t know if parents will allow their young kids to enjoy the story, though, as there are references to adultery, inaccurate childish lessons about “the birds and the bees,” and some swearing, mostly in French (pun intended).

I learned from the author’s website that the story was rewritten more than a hundred times, and the editor wielded the “chainsaw” with “much glee.” Big chunks of original material were chopped. That is perhaps the reason why there are a few plot holes. For instance, chapter one happens in 1955 while the party in chapter two transpires on April Fools’ Day of 1952 without mention of a flashback. Chapter two also states that Jeanot’s family moved residence, but this is not evident from the rest of the story.

The heavy editing also didn’t sweep all the errors as I still found quite a few misspellings and punctuation issues. The author likewise included a generous helping of French words and sentences. While many of these were understandable from the context, I had to look up several to make sure I was reading the lines correctly. These minor irritants did not detract from the reading enjoyment, but they cost the book one star.

I recommend this book to all who want to experience 1950s France and America and how it was after WWII in the eyes of a child. The innocent recounting of the war does not dull the message that war is horrible. Jeanot talks about Jews with tattoos, another character recalls French collaborators executing women and children at Vel d’Hiv, and Jeanot’s Papa still gets bouts of malaria which he caught during the war.

The book is also for those who carry the American dream in their hearts. They will read about Jeanot’s experiences as a “furner.” May they not be displeased to know that like most places on this planet, America is not heaven (even before Trump).

L’ Amerique gets 3 out of 4 stars from me. I hope I do not disappoint Thierry who says of the book: “Frankly, I think we have a winner.” But I would say that it came very close.

L’Amérique
View: on Bookshelves

Like Miriam Molina's review? Post a comment saying so!
Franc93
Currently Reading: Demon
Bookshelf Size: 103
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-franc93.html
Latest Review: Guilt by David Taylor Black
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Franc93 »

If any one said time travel does not exist, this is the proof that it does. The review is precise and in depth it is almost like i am in France.
Sara Kay
Currently Reading: The Water Trade
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sara-kay.html
Latest Review: The Warramunga's War by Greg Kater

Post by Sara Kay »

I love books that transport you into different cultures and experiences. Your description of the book is very captivating. I think I would read this despite the errors and inconsistencies you mention. Thank you for your beautiful review!
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:

Post by Manang Muyang »

Franc93 wrote: 09 Nov 2018, 00:27 If any one said time travel does not exist, this is the proof that it does. The review is precise and in depth it is almost like i am in France.
Merci! You will enjoy Jeanot's memorable experiences. Your name was French money before the euro took over.
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:

Post by Manang Muyang »

Sara Kay wrote: 09 Nov 2018, 01:14 I love books that transport you into different cultures and experiences. Your description of the book is very captivating. I think I would read this despite the errors and inconsistencies you mention. Thank you for your beautiful review!
Yes, go ahead! Thierry is a wonderful storyteller. Thanks for the kind words.
Sonya Nicolaidis
Favorite Book: McDowell
Currently Reading: The Dark Web Murders
Bookshelf Size: 403
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sonya-nicolaidis.html
Latest Review: My Delightfully Dysfunctional Family by Loraine Hartley

Post by Sonya Nicolaidis »

Somehow from reading your review, I am drawn to reading this book. I think it has something to do with the whimsical feel it has of a boy growing up far from home, and tackling all these new challenges in a humorous way. The time setting is also one that appeals to me, when things weren’t so dark and shadowy. Lovely review. Well done!
T_stone
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-t-stone.html
Latest Review: Marketing on Fleek by Kobi Ben Meir

Post by T_stone »

This is an interesting review; it has piqued my interest in reading this book. Therefore, I'm adding this to my list of TBR books. Thanks for the detailed review.
Feeling upset sometimes may be unavoidable, but acting distressed is always optional.

Rob White
Dael Reader
Currently Reading: The Story of Arthur Truluv
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dael-reader.html
Latest Review: Extraordinary Stories From Everyday People (and me) by Les Clark

Post by Dael Reader »

It sounds like this book is a gem that just needs to be polished up a bit more to truly shine. Nice review.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

It's nice that the author has some humor in the telling of his story; that makes it a bit more special in my eyes. Having lived in America my whole life, I do wonder about the culture shock that immigrants face. Thanks for the interesting review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
gen_g
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

This sounds like such a great book! However, it's such a pity about the plot holes! I'm interested in 1950s France, and I'll definitely look out for a copy! Thanks for the review!
Bianka Walter
Favorite Book: The Old Man and the Sea
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianka-walter.html
Latest Review: Thir13en by Keegan Nielsen
Reading Device: B06XD5YCKX

Post by Bianka Walter »

I loved Spirou and Fantasio! Wow, it's amazing how time dulls memories of the things we loved when we were younger. It seems that the author remembered the time quite well, though.
It's a pity that the well-intentioned editor didn't do a final thorough sweep.
This sounds great :)
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss
kfwilson6
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by kfwilson6 »

I love the way you phrase things like his Oncle having amorous designs and the birds and the bees. I like the reminiscent aspect of this, but I'm not very interested in American history.
Sushan Ekanayake
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: My Wind Therapy
Bookshelf Size: 407
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: My Wind Therapy: Motorcycling Through A History of Child Abuse And Domestic Violence by Queen Five Star
Reading Device: B0794JC2K5

Post by Sushan Ekanayake »

This sort of books are not my taste but, I enjoyed your review. Thank you
We all need people who will give us feedback. That’s how we improve.

- Bill Gates -

:lire4: $u$han €kanayak€ :text-feedback:
Alice Heritage
Review Team Guidelines Team Leader
Favorite Author: Wilkie Collins
Favorite Book: Wuthering Heights
Currently Reading: 50 Masterpieces of Gothic Fiction
Bookshelf Size: 378
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alice-heritage.html
Latest Review: Keys to Healthy Communication by Bobby R Patton,Rusalyn H Andrews and Jennifer Page Daily
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 1
fav_author_id: 1
Signature Addition: Mod

Post by Alice Heritage »

Quel dommage que le livre n'est pas en francais! Sounds as if there was quite a lot of it actually, even after the cuts were made. Sounds like a fascinating description of post-war Paris and of the US in the 1950s, which was not actually paradise - shock/choc! Many thanks for an interesting and balanced review.
This post was brought to you by the word "specifically".
Mod
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:

Post by Manang Muyang »

sonya01 wrote: 09 Nov 2018, 02:53 Somehow from reading your review, I am drawn to reading this book. I think it has something to do with the whimsical feel it has of a boy growing up far from home, and tackling all these new challenges in a humorous way. The time setting is also one that appeals to me, when things weren’t so dark and shadowy. Lovely review. Well done!
Yep, I liked the innocence and credulity of Jeanot. Thanks for the lovely comment!

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”