Official Review: A Mentor and Her Muse by Susan Sage

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Official Review: A Mentor and Her Muse by Susan Sage

Post by Cecilia_L »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "A Mentor and Her Muse" by Susan Sage.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

"I wouldn't classify what I did as a crime, rather as sort of a vigilante justice. Some, I'm sure, will believe I should serve a prison sentence for what I did, while others will conclude that I was both her mentor and her friend." A Mentor and Her Muse by Susan Sage

With one of the best beginnings I've read in a long time and depending on the point of view, this moral quandary persisted throughout the book. Needless to say, I was hooked.

Fifty-year-old Maggie Barnett is working in the media department of the school library when she meets talented Taezha Riverton. Frustrated by her own writing career, Maggie is determined to mentor Tae, an aspiring teenage writer. In addition to mentor and muse, they develop a friendship. Concerned about Tae's life at home with a mother that drinks too much and whose current boyfriend has started making advances toward Tae, Maggie decides to take her on a road trip for the summer. Tae's mother first seems agreeable to the idea, but when she begins to express doubts, Maggie and Tae leave Michigan anyway without explicit permission. They make several extended stops along the way as they travel to North Carolina to visit Tae's Uncle Tyler. As the story unfolds, Maggie's family background and history of loss provide clues to her obsessive attachment to Tae, whose suspicions about her own family are confirmed. Social issues such as prejudice, poverty, sexuality, and racial tension are addressed as seen through the eyes of both Maggie and Tae.

Sage has really mastered page-turning tension--I found this well-written novel hard to put down. The story alternates between the third-person perspectives of Maggie and Tae, with the occasional journal entry or poem written in the first-person narrative. Considering their age difference, the varying perspectives, and vocabularies, the dialogues are realistic and engaging. They each have a definitive voice, and it is apparent who is speaking.

Typically, I connect with complex characters that I can somehow relate to, even if I don't necessarily agree with their actions. However, it requires an exceptionally skilled author to create a character that gets under my skin in a such a disturbing way as Maggie. At the beginning of the story, I was drawn in, wanting to give her the benefit of the doubt. As the plot progressed, it became evident that Maggie was deceiving herself; yet her motives were often a mystery. Was she inappropriately attracted to her 15-year-old muse, Taezha, or simply living vicariously through her? Tae was equally well-developed in a more endearing manner, evoking my protective nature as a parent. Though I was alarmed by Maggie's obsessive attachment, she did possess redeeming qualities, and ultimately her actions helped Tae.

On the other hand, with such a promising beginning, the plot lost momentum along the way, and I found the ending slightly underwhelming. Even so, overall, I found the book worthy of a 4 out of 4 stars rating. It appears to be professionally edited, as I noted only a few errors. Due to profanity and sexual content, it is intended for mature readers. I recommend the book to readers who enjoy psychological dramas that challenge social norms. If you tend to view issues with a black and white approach, this may not be the book for you

A Mentor and Her Muse
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Cecilia_L's review? Post a comment saying so!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Interesting. Maggie sounds like the kind of character you love to hate. I'm curious to see what kind of "vigilante justice" is carried out and how everything turns out. You've intrigued me with your review, and that's hard to do. Thanks!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

kandscreeley wrote: 08 Nov 2018, 08:54 Interesting. Maggie sounds like the kind of character you love to hate. I'm curious to see what kind of "vigilante justice" is carried out and how everything turns out. You've intrigued me with your review, and that's hard to do. Thanks!
Thank you. I appreciate your comment.
cpru68
Favorite Book: What My Dog Taught Me About Jesus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 179
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cpru68.html
Latest Review: Heaven's Call by Roger Dawson
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by cpru68 »

This book sounds inviting to me right now. I have been focusing so much on non-fiction, and I am finding myself searching for something to read that isn't necessarily based on a true life story. This one sounds intriguing from what you wrote here, and I think I am due for a psychological drama like what you described here. Thanks for the insight on this one. :)
Everything happens for a reason...
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

cpru68 wrote: 08 Nov 2018, 11:42 This book sounds inviting to me right now. I have been focusing so much on non-fiction, and I am finding myself searching for something to read that isn't necessarily based on a true life story. This one sounds intriguing from what you wrote here, and I think I am due for a psychological drama like what you described here. Thanks for the insight on this one. :)
I'm the same way--I enjoy alternating genres. Thanks for your comment.
Sonya Nicolaidis
Favorite Book: McDowell
Currently Reading: The Dark Web Murders
Bookshelf Size: 403
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sonya-nicolaidis.html
Latest Review: My Delightfully Dysfunctional Family by Loraine Hartley

Post by Sonya Nicolaidis »

Done! Added to my bookshelves, as this is right up my street. Thanks for this wonderful review. I cannot wait to get started on this one.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

sonya01 wrote: 09 Nov 2018, 06:34 Done! Added to my bookshelves, as this is right up my street. Thanks for this wonderful review. I cannot wait to get started on this one.
Thanks, Sonya. Hope you enjoy it!
kfwilson6
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by kfwilson6 »

Everything after the introduction was quite different than what I was anticipating. I was expecting some crime thriller. That just sparked my interest even more to see how that beginning line into play. Way to grab your reader's interest!
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

kfwilson6 wrote: 09 Nov 2018, 15:27 Everything after the introduction was quite different than what I was anticipating. I was expecting some crime thriller. That just sparked my interest even more to see how that beginning line into play. Way to grab your reader's interest!
Thank you. I appreciate your comment.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”