Official Review: Aussie Bush Yarns by Jennie Linnane

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
bluegreenmarina
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =6703">The Count of Monte Cristo</a>
Currently Reading: Drive Your Plow Over The Bones Of The Dead
Bookshelf Size: 1230
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluegreenmarina.html
Latest Review: Spontaneous Addiction Recovery by Dr. James Slobodzien

Official Review: Aussie Bush Yarns by Jennie Linnane

Post by bluegreenmarina »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Aussie Bush Yarns" by Jennie Linnane.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

To be honest, I was slightly hesitant when selecting Aussie Bush Yarns by Jennie Linnane, as I tend to prefer longer novels with a single storyline. Other collections of short stories have often felt disjointed to me, highlighting my preference of getting to know the characters and location setting more deeply than a short story typically allows. I am happy to report that this compilation did not cause the same reaction; in fact, I enjoyed it so much that I am rating this book 4 out of 4 stars.

The primary difference in the experience of reading this book is that despite each story focusing on a new set of characters and events, they all have a unifying theme. The stories are all set in the (fictional) town of Yabby Creek, in Australia’s wild and rugged bush country. The characters in the stories all share a similar cultural outlook – one that develops naturally from the rustic and rural setting, and the residents’ dependence on local weather patterns, knowledge of wildlife, and responsibilities on the homestead.

Even with all of these commonalities, each story is unique in its focus, and the selection provides a fascinating mix of human emotion. The language is weighty and descriptive, and each character comes across the page in a rich and vivid way. It is obvious that the author is a close observer of human nature, and she is able to depict the nuances of multigenerational families with authentic dialogue and scene descriptions. The fact that all the stories take place in the same location creates a feeling in the reader that he or she is getting to know a whole community of people, one family at a time.

Some of the topics of the stories include romance and jealousy, farm labor and toil, grandparents and their relationships with their grandchildren, and the natural dangers and predators one encounters in the bush country. In a few short pages, the stories relay profound joy or deep despair, as well as nearly every emotion in between. The details are carefully chosen, and each sentence contributes to the stories’ larger point. I was also impressed with the thorough editing, as I found no spelling or grammatical errors. At no time did the book feel like a chore to read, and the wide range of topics kept me turning the pages from one story to the next.

The experience of reading this book is something like a mosaic, with each individual story filling in a piece of the larger image of the community of Yabby Creek. Though it is a fictional town, it is clearly based on real places, and the characters read as authentic in their imperfect humanity. Readers who are likely to enjoy this collection are those that appreciate the culture of small, rural communities, and who find beauty in the seemingly mundane experiences of hardworking folks. There are lessons buried in these pages, reminding us to appreciate our home, our family, and the simple things in life.

Aussie Bush Yarns
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like bluegreenmarina's review? Post a comment saying so!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I do like a good collection of short stories sometimes. It's nice to have a little bits and pieces to digest quickly. I'm glad there's a unifying theme to this one and that they don't feel incomplete. That is definitely a downfall of these types of collections sometimes. Thanks for the review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Sirlimu01
Currently Reading: Kaiserjaeger
Bookshelf Size: 244
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Sirlimu01 »

I will love to read this book myself to see the reasons and lesson it remind us to appreciate our home and family. Good review work.
Sonya Nicolaidis
Favorite Book: McDowell
Currently Reading: The Dark Web Murders
Bookshelf Size: 403
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sonya-nicolaidis.html
Latest Review: My Delightfully Dysfunctional Family by Loraine Hartley

Post by Sonya Nicolaidis »

I like what I read from your review. I am a great short-story fan, and as long as there is something special or distinctive about each one, I generally really enjoy them. It seems as if these stories are mostly character-driven which disappoints me slightly - I do like a clever plot in them as well. Still, I may give this one a try. Many thanks for your comments.
Franc93
Currently Reading: Demon
Bookshelf Size: 103
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-franc93.html
Latest Review: Guilt by David Taylor Black
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Franc93 »

In my opinion, all great books are mere compilation of short stories but with a clearly defined continuous plot :D , thus i have always appreciated them. This wouldn't be any different considering the proper review you have given it.
"Are you going to sit there and feel sorry for yourself, or are you going to reshuffle those cards life dealt you."- Stick
Dael Reader
Currently Reading: The Story of Arthur Truluv
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dael-reader.html
Latest Review: Extraordinary Stories From Everyday People (and me) by Les Clark
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Dael Reader »

I general prefer novels to short stories too. But I'm starting to gain a new appreciation for the genre. It sounds like this collection will help me a long in that respect. Thanks for this review.
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

A collection of stories portraying life in Australia’s wild bush country sounds heart-warming. It is nice that even though each story focuses on a new characters, they share a unifying theme. Authentic characters and good descriptions make a good read. That it was well edited is another bonus. Thank you for the review.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Elizabeth Pass
Favorite Book: Dealing with Dragons (Enchanted Forest Chronicles, #1)
Currently Reading: Reign
Bookshelf Size: 126
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bb587.html
Latest Review: COVIDinners by Katie M Zeigler

Post by Elizabeth Pass »

Yabby Creek sounds like an interesting place. I've frequently enjoyed short stories. However, I've already read a few books by this author and found that she's not for me.
Strangerthanfiction
Currently Reading: Night Seeker
Bookshelf Size: 304
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-strangerthanfiction.html

Post by Strangerthanfiction »

This sounds like an impressive and entertaining collection of short stories about life in the Australian bush. With various characters and themes of hard work, home, family, romance, and danger, I’m going to give this one a try. Congrats tythe author on a great review. Thanks so much for sharing.
“You know you’ve read a good book when you turn the last page and feel a little as if you have lost a friend.” – Paul Sweeney
Aan Granados
Currently Reading: Massacre Rocks
Bookshelf Size: 873
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aan-granados.html
Latest Review: The Vanished by Pejay Bradley

Post by Aan Granados »

I like short stories. They are usually full of life lessons, anecdotes and memorable experiences. This seems interesting since its set in the Australian outback. Thanks for your review!
Ruba Abu Ali
Currently Reading: Notes on a Nervous Planet
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruba-abu-ali.html
Latest Review: Grammar for a Full Life: How the Ways We Shape a Sentence Can Limit or Enlarge Us by Lawrence Weinstein

Post by Ruba Abu Ali »

I like the unconventional buildup of stories and characters in this book. Thanks for the engaging review.
Mercelle
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 10262">The Wisdom and Peace of the Teachings of the Tao Te Ching</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercelle.html
Latest Review: The Future of Finance and Money by K. Braeden Anderson

Post by Mercelle »

This collection of short stories brings to life the fictional bushland town of Yabby Creek. The diverse characters enrich each plot, and the author's brilliant storytelling will leave readers yearning for more.
"The minimum requirement for a dream is a safe place to lay your head."
~OluTimehin Adegbeye
Asavela
Favorite Book: Island Games
Currently Reading: Journey of a Bedroom Poet
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-asavela.html
Latest Review: Barbra Streisand: On the Couch by Alma H. Bond, Ph.D.

Post by Asavela »

I enjoy reading short stories, especially on this subjects.Great review.
Sirajuddin A
Currently Reading: Make Your Message Matter
Bookshelf Size: 554
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sirajuddin-a.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi

Post by Sirajuddin A »

The contents' page of the book shows some interesting topics. And this collection of short stories has some interesting characters, and each story has a unique idea to tell.
Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

I find these types of collections appealing, and your review has further piqued my interest. Thanks for the recommendation.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”