Official Review: Artist's journal by Sveta Alenina

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Bianka Walter
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Old Man and the Sea
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianka-walter.html
Latest Review: Thir13en by Keegan Nielsen
Reading Device: B06XD5YCKX

Official Review: Artist's journal by Sveta Alenina

Post by Bianka Walter »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Artist's journal" by Sveta Alenina.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Artist’s Journal is a collection of the various artworks and musings of Sveta Alenina. This compilation of works ranges from Sveta’s simple sketches to her short bursts of poetry. Consisting mostly of her various illustrations, this book is exactly what the title describes – the journal of an artist. If artworks could talk – this is how they would do it.

Sveta’s art is intriguing. The variety of forms and colour that she incorporates into the various illustrations is immense. There are no two works alike, and none of them gave me the feeling of repetitiveness. In the Amazon blurb, Sveta states that the images are more doodles than artworks. I have to disagree on this notion. Doodling implies that the illustration is like a stream of consciousness. I feel like this art is deliberate. There are intense feelings associated with the images portrayed, and, every so often, the illustrations come with epigrams to back them up. I don’t think that doodles can invoke emotional sensations. This art does.

There are a few darker sketches in the journal that represent deeper feelings of depression. This is a big contrast to the other images that show colour palettes of brighter, ‘happier’ hues. It also shows the depth of these artworks and how nothing stops at the surface.

As mentioned, there is some poetry in the book. These poems go slightly over my head. They are very open to interpretation, and, as much as I liked them, I didn’t really understand them. For instance:
It was a very strange day.
It was. It was. It was.
Do not dare to diminut it
To some explainable consequences.
It complements the idea of free association, and it bolsters the artworks. There were a few (more straight-forward) poems, however, which I really enjoyed. These aspects all add nicely to the diary-like feel of the book.

The editing of the limited text in the book is not very good. There is a three-page foreword written by an art historian and psychology expert. The grammatical errors in this introduction are extensive. Unfortunately, the errors don’t stop there. Mistakes such as ‘The horses head’ and ‘boy friend’ litter the fleeting text. Two artworks are also repeated in the journal, and without explanation, I can only assume that it was accidental. Finally, there are a few blank pages, sometimes spanning a two-page spread. For an artist’s journal, I think this should be avoided.

Artist’s Journal should not be mistaken for something it’s not. It is a work created solely out of the personal contemplations of the artist. Without being straightforward, it is a reflection of Sveta Alenina’s life told through her various creative flairs. With the errors, I am unable to give this journal more than 3 out of 4 stars. I would recommend it to anyone who has an open mind when it comes to artistic musings. I enjoyed taking a walk through Sveta’s life as depicted by her art – it was definitely a refreshing way to read a book!

Artist's journal
View: on Bookshelves

Like Bianka Walter's review? Post a comment saying so!
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

That's my problem with poetry; it often goes over my head. There's some deeper meaning that I'm supposed to find that just passes over me completely. However, I'm tempted to look at this one simply for the artwork. The sketches intrigue me. Thanks!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
gen_g
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

This is certainly rather unconventional but intriguing! I agree with you that the act of doodling cannot be considered as intentional due to its very nature, so I suppose this gap would be rather jarring to reconcile. Nonetheless, I'm definitely interested in this book. Thanks for the amazing review! (:
Mercelle
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 10262">The Wisdom and Peace of the Teachings of the Tao Te Ching</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercelle.html
Latest Review: The Future of Finance and Money by K. Braeden Anderson

Post by Mercelle »

An artists' musings represented in captivating artwork sounds interesting. I would check it out for the poetry since I feel like the art is a key to unlock the deeper meaning behind the words. Too bad the editing is wanting.
"The minimum requirement for a dream is a safe place to lay your head."
~OluTimehin Adegbeye
Bianka Walter
Currently Reading:

Post by Bianka Walter »

kandscreeley wrote: 05 Nov 2018, 09:47 That's my problem with poetry; it often goes over my head. There's some deeper meaning that I'm supposed to find that just passes over me completely. However, I'm tempted to look at this one simply for the artwork. The sketches intrigue me. Thanks!
I know - I always feel a little dense when it comes to poetry. The deeper meaning evades me. Give me Harry Potter rather. Wand=magic.
The artwork is truly great though - definitely worth the time :)
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss
Bianka Walter
Currently Reading:

Post by Bianka Walter »

gen_g wrote: 05 Nov 2018, 10:58 This is certainly rather unconventional but intriguing! I agree with you that the act of doodling cannot be considered as intentional due to its very nature, so I suppose this gap would be rather jarring to reconcile. Nonetheless, I'm definitely interested in this book. Thanks for the amazing review! (:
I'm so glad that I made sense. In trying to explain what I meant about doodling and creating intentional art, I wrote that paragraph about 20 times :lol2: Eventually I just left it and hoped for the best.
Thanks Gen! I appreciate your comments.
- Dr. Seuss
Bianka Walter
Currently Reading:

Post by Bianka Walter »

Mercy Bolo wrote: 05 Nov 2018, 11:28 An artists' musings represented in captivating artwork sounds interesting. I would check it out for the poetry since I feel like the art is a key to unlock the deeper meaning behind the words. Too bad the editing is wanting.
The poetry and the art definitely go hand in hand. I think they support each other - in their weird ways :)
- Dr. Seuss
kfwilson6
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by kfwilson6 »

I'm with kandscreeley, poetry is beyond me. I might enjoy the artwork though. Lovely analysis.
Bianka Walter
Currently Reading:

Post by Bianka Walter »

kfwilson6 wrote: 05 Nov 2018, 15:39 I'm with kandscreeley, poetry is beyond me. I might enjoy the artwork though. Lovely analysis.
I think we're all on the same page with poetry! We'll get team jackets :)
- Dr. Seuss
Juliar252
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliar252.html
Latest Review: If Life Stinks, Get Your Head Outta Your But's by Mark L. Wdowiak

Post by Juliar252 »

The blend of poetry and art sounds very interesting. I have never heard of a book like this but after reading your review I definitely want to check it out! Great review!
Caylie_Cat
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-caylie-cat.html
Latest Review: The Traveler's Best Seller by Rick Incorvia

Post by Caylie_Cat »

Being neither a fan of poetry nor much of an art critic, I will give this one a miss, but you wrote a thoughtful review. Thank you!
Bianka Walter
Currently Reading:

Post by Bianka Walter »

Juliar252 wrote: 05 Nov 2018, 19:03 The blend of poetry and art sounds very interesting. I have never heard of a book like this but after reading your review I definitely want to check it out! Great review!
It was different! A really nice change :)
Thanks for commenting.
- Dr. Seuss
Bianka Walter
Currently Reading:

Post by Bianka Walter »

Caylie_Cat wrote: 05 Nov 2018, 22:36 Being neither a fan of poetry nor much of an art critic, I will give this one a miss, but you wrote a thoughtful review. Thank you!
Yep - this one is definitely not for you!
Thanks for stopping by :)
- Dr. Seuss
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

The editing of the limited text in the book is not very good. There is a three-page foreword written by an art historian and psychology expert. The grammatical errors in this introduction are extensive. Unfortunately, the errors don’t stop there. Mistakes such as ‘The horses head’ and ‘boy friend’ litter the fleeting text. Two artworks are also repeated in the journal, and without explanation, I can only assume that it was accidental. Finally, there are a few blank pages, sometimes spanning a two-page spread. For an artist’s journal, I think this should be avoided.
I agree with your thoughts. I get the impression that some books in the poetry genre are less carefully edited under the guise of creativity. I'd definitely want to be sure that the person writing my foreword used correct grammar. Great review, Bianka!
fredrick otieno
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fredrick-otieno.html
Latest Review: Kennedy's Revenge by Stephen L Rodenbeck

Post by fredrick otieno »

Sometimes poetry can be so challenging, that you have to think a little been harder, but that's what I love about it, though when it cones with some grammatical mistakes then it can be irritating.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”