Official Review: Someone To Watch Over Me by Sky Sommers

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Mercelle
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 10262">The Wisdom and Peace of the Teachings of the Tao Te Ching</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercelle.html
Latest Review: The Future of Finance and Money by K. Braeden Anderson

Official Review: Someone To Watch Over Me by Sky Sommers

Post by Mercelle »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Someone To Watch Over Me" by Sky Sommers.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Sky Sommers' Someone to Watch Over Me is a work of fiction with hints of mystery, science fiction, and romance. At the heart of the story is the Agency of Guardian Angels; an institution tasked with maintaining balance across the Universe's sixty-three known dimensions.

Gabriel is a guardian angel assigned to Grace, a girl with a target on her back. He should find out who wants to kill Grace and stop them. Victor is a former bad boy who's currently atoning for his sins by serving as an angel. He's simultaneously protecting two beings, Charlotte on Earth and Sally on Gaia, Earth's alternate dimension. Lanie is a recruit who's madly in love with Peter, a man from her former life.

The author weaves these plots to form a flowing narrative with fascinating twists. Mythical creatures like pixies and fairies are part of the story, and each has a distinct role according to the Agency's hierarchical structure. The author also provided glimpses into other dimensions. The most terrifying is Hel, a dark underworld where one's utmost fears materialize. She also uses multiple movie and music references. I found these useful as they emphasize points, evoke familiarity, and bring out the characters' emotions. The role of women in leadership was one unexpected theme. At the Agency, there's a reluctance to recruit female angels because women get too emotional.

Stomaching the book's leisurely pace required a lot of effort because I anticipated intense scenes. On that note, it didn't meet my expectations. The major setback I encountered is that at the beginning of the book, the author indicated that there would be illustrations within the text. To my dismay, I flipped the pages only to see captions with no pictures. The review copy I received might be the problem, and I hope this isn't widespread. I did spot some brow-raising scenes in the storyline, like angels using phones to communicate, even when at their headquarters. The author also mentioned that the Agency was understaffed, which made me fear for the fate of the Universe.

I, however, liked that the author included two possible endings to the book. A happily ever after for optimists and a happily never after for pessimists. These were a joy to compare and contrast. The book's chapters are also brief, with each one focusing on the on-goings of an individual's life. I found this useful on occasions when I needed to refer to specific sections. The text is also written in simple language, making it easy to read and suitable for anyone with an eighth-grade comprehension skill.

Since I spotted minor typos, mostly misspelled words, I'll award this book a rating of 3 out of 4 stars. I would recommend it to fans of magic and fans of romance. Due to its slow pace, I wouldn't recommend it to fans of action-packed thrillers.

Someone To Watch Over Me
View: on Bookshelves

Like Mercy Bolo's review? Post a comment saying so!
"The minimum requirement for a dream is a safe place to lay your head."
~OluTimehin Adegbeye
TJanowski23
Currently Reading: Winning the battle against sin
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tjanowski23.html
Latest Review: Winning the War on Cancer by Sylvie Beljanski

Post by TJanowski23 »

This sounds like an interesting book with an unusual portrayal of angels. I might look into this one more. Thanks!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Wow! Two different endings? That's unique. Still, I'm not sure I could handle the angel atoning for his sins. That's just outside of my belief system. I do like the science fiction aspect with the mystery and romance, but I'll have to think about this one a bit more. Thanks, though.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Book Lover 35
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-book-lover-35.html
Latest Review: VieVie La Fontaine by Linda Heavner Gerald

Post by Book Lover 35 »

Sounds like an interesting book. That stinks there wasn't any pictures. Thank you for the review!
:tiphat:
fredrick otieno
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fredrick-otieno.html
Latest Review: Kennedy's Revenge by Stephen L Rodenbeck

Post by fredrick otieno »

a very great book, I think I would enjoy it. Thank you so much for this great review.
sarahmarlowe
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: One Second After
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 191
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarahmarlowe.html
Latest Review: The best therapy by Jim LaPierre LCSW, CCS
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by sarahmarlowe »

Excellent review! I love when authors use their imaginations to fill in things we wonder about -- even in fun ways. I think I'd like reading this exploration on an Agency of angels!
sarahmarlowe
You can spend your time however you want, but you can spend it only once. :eusa-think:
Franc93
Currently Reading: Demon
Bookshelf Size: 103
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-franc93.html
Latest Review: Guilt by David Taylor Black
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Franc93 »

'I, however, liked that the author included two possible endings to the book. A happily ever after for optimists and a happily never after for pessimists.' This is what made me look twice through this review. I won't lie it is unique to me.The author-God bless his/her soul- so it fit for everyone to win. Great review
"Are you going to sit there and feel sorry for yourself, or are you going to reshuffle those cards life dealt you."- Stick
Dael Reader
Currently Reading: The Story of Arthur Truluv
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dael-reader.html
Latest Review: Extraordinary Stories From Everyday People (and me) by Les Clark
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Dael Reader »

I don't read a lot of books that feature angels, pixies, fairies, and Norse gods (Hel), but you make it sound like an interesting story. Nice review.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”