Official Review: Mary's Ponderings by Barbara Covington

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
HRichards
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hrichards.html
Latest Review: Yeh-shen by Ray Simmons

Official Review: Mary's Ponderings by Barbara Covington

Post by HRichards »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Mary's Ponderings" by Barbara Covington.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

With famous stories, it is often nice to hear the perspectives of characters we many times don’t consider. Sometimes these characters offer unique and insightful views on well-known tales that we wouldn’t think of otherwise. Mary’s Ponderings offers one such different viewpoint of the life of Christ.

Mary’s Ponderings by Barbara Covington is a short novel that offers a view of the life of Jesus from the perspective of Mary, his mother. Mary is put in an interesting place as the mother of Christ. She often questions what the ultimate plan of God is, and while she is faithful and patient, she is also confused by some of the events that happen around her. Her position is many times a mixed blessing, as being the mother of Christ also means explaining his birth to a world that is less than understanding. She devoted to God, but she also struggles as any normal human would.

I ended up giving the book 3 out of 4 stars. Mary is kind and likable, and her view of the ministry of Jesus is interesting. She doesn’t understand everything that happens, but she trusts that it is God’s will. I very much liked Mary. She would be an admirable woman that you’d be happy to be friends with. It is also very interesting to know the thoughts of the mother of Christ. Mary is an insightful lady, and her view of events is a different angle on Christ’s ministry. Those interested in the life of Christ would greatly appreciate this book. It is a religious book that manages not to be preachy or heavy-handed about spiritual matters. This book is not some kind of devotional, just the honest opinion of a woman tasked with raising Jesus.

There were some grammatical errors with the book, but they were not of any level to deter reading the book. My major complaint is that the book seems too short. There seems like there would be so much to delve into in Mary’s life, but with only 70 pages this novel seemed a bit short. I was left thinking that there surely must be more that Mary would have an opinion about. I was sometimes left with more questions than answers, as the chapters were so brief that it seemed like only a bit of what Mary actually thought was shared.

On the whole, Mary’s Ponderings is a genuinely likable book with a character who has an enjoyable voice. My only wish is that there were a little more of Mary’s ponderings for me to ponder.

Mary's Ponderings
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like HRichards's review? Post a comment saying so!
melissy370
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melissy370.html
Latest Review: Home To Kentucky by Thomas A. McCoy
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by melissy370 »

Seventy pages is short for a book about the mother of God. I think there would be a lot to explore in her life with Jesus. Still, I would be interested in seeing how the author portrays her. Thanks for your review.
Dael Reader
Currently Reading: The Story of Arthur Truluv
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dael-reader.html
Latest Review: Extraordinary Stories From Everyday People (and me) by Les Clark
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Dael Reader »

Generally speaking, I don't like any books that fictionalize historical figures or events. But I can see how it might be interesting to imagine what Mary might have thought about everything going on with her son.
Temidayo Omowunmi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-temidayo-omowunmi.html
Latest Review: Will of The Hill by Marshall Cobb

Post by Temidayo Omowunmi »

A spiritual book that I'll surely get for my mother. Lovely one.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

This sounds quite special. Too many times we see Mary's mother as something other than who she was. I'd be interested to see the author's interpretation. Thanks for the review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Sonya Nicolaidis
Favorite Book: McDowell
Currently Reading: The Dark Web Murders
Bookshelf Size: 403
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sonya-nicolaidis.html
Latest Review: My Delightfully Dysfunctional Family by Loraine Hartley

Post by Sonya Nicolaidis »

There really aren't enough hard facts out there about Mary, and so I respect that the author has chosen to write a short (and hopefully accurate) book, rather than make it longer with a lot of unfounded assumptions. Thank you for your review - it seems like you really appreciated this one.
Manaka
Currently Reading: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manaka.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Manaka »

It sounds an interesting book to read. The Bible story we know told in a different perspective. This will be my next book to read.
T_stone
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-t-stone.html
Latest Review: Marketing on Fleek by Kobi Ben Meir

Post by T_stone »

This a good religious book. I wonder as well, what Mary's perspectives will be like because the bible never gave full stories of her and others. I will check this out soon. Thank you for the review
Feeling upset sometimes may be unavoidable, but acting distressed is always optional.

Rob White
Franc93
Currently Reading: Demon
Bookshelf Size: 103
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-franc93.html
Latest Review: Guilt by David Taylor Black

Post by Franc93 »

i solemnly believe that the shortness of the book made it more enjoyable, so i can not complain much on that. It is refreshing to read a book about Jesus from a whole new different perspective as opposed to traditional narratives. Your review was indeed helpful and i see myself reading this book soon. Thanks
"Are you going to sit there and feel sorry for yourself, or are you going to reshuffle those cards life dealt you."- Stick

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”