Official Review: Nigeria's Odyssey by Dele Owolowo

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Okafor Prosper
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 250
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-okafor-prosper.html
Latest Review: 52 Pieces: by Dr. Marina Kostina

Official Review: Nigeria's Odyssey by Dele Owolowo

Post by Okafor Prosper »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Nigeria's Odyssey" by Dele Owolowo.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

In the years after her independence, Nigeria was regarded as a land flowing with milk and honey. Abundant natural resources, a talented population, and good climate are just a few of Nigeria's many blessings. However, with a high level of poverty, decaying infrastructure, poor economy, and a poor health care system, Nigeria has not lived up to its potential by any measure. What could be the reasons behind the current state of Nigeria? The general consensus is that corruption, diversity, religion, the system of government, and an ever-growing population are the root causes of the situation Nigeria finds herself in today. In Nigeria's Odyssey, Dele Owolowo exposes the falseness of these claims and shows us the cause of Nigeria's problems, while offering practical solutions to these problems.

As a concerned Nigerian who has seen things go from bad to worse in my country, making the decision to pick up this book was a no-brainer. I have read quite a few similar articles and books to Nigeria's Odyssey, and whenever I'm done reading them I feel like there is little to no hope of a better future for Nigeria. However, this book stands out in a lot of ways compared to other books. The author's humour was the first thing that I liked about this book. He expertly used relatable jokes from the onset to help ease the tension one might have while reading.

It is one thing to point out or criticize Nigeria's problems, and it is another thing to offer practical solutions to those problems. In the author's words, "Criticism is useless without better alternatives". At the beginning of the book, Dele gives us a chart on how the country can achieve end goals (Industrialization, agricultural self-sufficiency, and development of agro-allied industries for mass employment and export) that will put us in a much better position. He goes on to explain the chart in detail. He also cited examples of countries that have developed after experiencing similar or worse situations than Nigeria and showed how we can learn from them.

The author does well to mention and commend sectors in Nigeria that have thrived, like the banking and entertainment sectors. Some parts of the book are written in Nigerian pidgin. While this makes the book even more relatable to the Nigerian audience, people who do not understand Nigerian pidgin may find it hard to navigate through those parts of the book. The book is professionally edited. It contained very few errors and none of them affected my reading. There wasn't anything I disliked about Nigeria's Odyssey.

Overall, Nigeria's Odyssey was an enlightening experience. It also helped me expand my vocabulary with words and expressions like raison d'etre, blase, moribund, sine qua non, and jingoisms to name a few. In these times of little to no hope that Nigeria will reach her potential, when the belief amongst the masses is that only God can save Nigeria, Nigeria's Odyssey is the eye-opener that the country needs. The eye-opener to show us that our fate lies in our own hands. I implore all Nigerians to read this book, especially people in positions of power. People interested in learning a thing or two about Nigeria will also find this book interesting. I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. Dele for President!

Nigeria's Odyssey
View: on Bookshelves

Like prospero360's review? Post a comment saying so!
fredrick otieno
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fredrick-otieno.html
Latest Review: Kennedy's Revenge by Stephen L Rodenbeck

Post by fredrick otieno »

This is an interesting book that i would love to read, it will be an eye opener to me too since i come from a developing nation that is facing similar challenges as Nigeria. Thank you for the good review.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I commend the author for giving advice instead of just pointing out the problems. I know little about Nigeria, so this is probably a book I should pick up. Glad that you were able to enjoy. Thanks.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Hiruni Bhagya 81
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 128
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hiruni-bhagya-81.html
Latest Review: Randy Love...at your service by Shay Carter

Post by Hiruni Bhagya 81 »

Sounds like a great book. It's great how the author doesn't just criticize and point out problems, but present solutions to these problems as well which is very uncommon in present society. I'm sure it'll be useful to people not only in Nigeria but also to people in all developing countries.
Sirlimu01
Currently Reading: Kaiserjaeger
Bookshelf Size: 244
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Sirlimu01 »

WOW! Great book is not by quantity (volume) Or quality of paper in print but by what information it carries or contains. This is one of the great books. A book that spot out problems and coin out remedy. Nigeria odyssey is a book I could recommended to all leaders in the seat of government of any country be it developed or not so as to be as a guide. I love the style the author used in passing the massage. I give it 4 out of 4. The reviewer has done well in putting this across.
Samantha Simoneau
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 240
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samantha-simoneau.html
Latest Review: Dancing With Jesus by Allison Broughton
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Samantha Simoneau »

This sounds like a very compelling book, although I wouldn't be able to read the non-English portions. "Criticism is useless without better alternatives" struck me personally and made me ask myself if I am often too critical in an unhelpful way. Thanks for the great review!
Samantha Simoneau

“But upon the stage of life, while conscience claps, let the world hiss! On the contrary if conscience disapproves, the loudest applauses of the world are of little value."
~John Adams :greetings-clapyellow:
Sahar Majid
Currently Reading: World, Incorporated
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahar-majid.html
Latest Review: Iron Crossed by Renata Rose and Phil Rose

Post by Sahar Majid »

I really hope that with books like this, Nigeria will work towards a better future. Thank you for the informative review!
Seun419
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Seun419 »

Nigeria's Odyssey seems like a very informative book not just for Nigeria alone, but for other developing nations. Thank you for the review.
Book Lover 35
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-book-lover-35.html
Latest Review: VieVie La Fontaine by Linda Heavner Gerald

Post by Book Lover 35 »

That's pretty neat that you found a book about where you live. That's good that the author wasn't too negative. Great review!
:tiphat:

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”