Review by capricornius16 -- McDowell by William H. Coles

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
capricornius16
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-capricornius16.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Review by capricornius16 -- McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by capricornius16 » 29 Oct 2018, 13:03

[Following is a volunteer review of "McDowell" by William H. Coles.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

If there was ever a book that would make you feel all sorts of emotions, then look no further than this gem of a book. McDowell is a work of fiction from award-winning author William H. Coles. And I’m really glad I picked this up.

Hiram McDowell is a surgeon whose star is on the rise in the International College of Surgeons. With sheer determination and ambition, he was elected to the leadership of the college and was soon being groomed by the US president for a cabinet position in the government. While reaping all the success he always dreamed of, Hiram’s family meanwhile, is in disarray. His third wife hates him and his children aren’t much fond of him either. And as Hiram goes further and further in his career, so is the scrutiny that came with it. Will his guile and resolve be enough to thwart his detractors and save his career and family?

William H. Coles has woven such an intricate tale that would elicit a whole range of emotions from many of its readers. I sometimes get angered by Hiram’s indifference and standoffish behavior towards the people around him, and there are times I would feel joy, pain, and anguish for Ann, Sophie, or Billie. I love the depth of the characters populating the book because they’re not just simply black or white, but characters that have their good sides and bad sides as well, same as you and me. There’s also the genius of the storytelling here that though I first deplored everything Hiram did and represented, I gradually grew to understand and like him towards the end. It’s really a character-driven narrative that a lot of readers will appreciate.

All things considered, I did feel that pacing was a little uneven. There were also some chapters that I think was too short or lacked a little bit more detail. And as much as I love the characters, there were also some that could’ve been left out completely. Another thing is that the story shuffles through with a lot of different characters that it may be a bit confusing at times. Still, this is a topnotch book. It is professionally edited and I have found no errors in it.

All in all, McDowell is such a surprising and excellent read for me, and I highly recommend it to people looking for something with a bit more meat in the story and characters that are very much relatable. I give this book 4 out of 4 stars.

McDowell
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords

Like capricornius16's review? Post a comment saying so!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”