Review by Nephyz+254 -- McDowell by William H. Coles

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Nephyz+254
Favorite Book: McDowell
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nephyz-254.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Review by Nephyz+254 -- McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by Nephyz+254 » 29 Oct 2018, 07:54

[Following is a volunteer review of "McDowell" by William H. Coles.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

McDowell by William H. Coles is a fictional novel that revolves around the story of Dr. Hiram McDowell (McDowell--as I'll refer to him for the rest of this review). He has risen to a position of President of Regents of international college of surgeons, having tricked Dr. Michael O'Leary successfully to back him up in his candidature. He later overlooks his promises to Dr. Michael (to a point him to a position of executive director). This earns him an enemy who later ends up engineering his downfall. McDowell is an avid mountain climber. He participates in marathon races. He also runs a foundation that upfronts surgery at Nepal. This act of charity has made a TV journalist, Paige Sterling, to investigate about him. Later, he is appointment as Secretary of Health and human resources in the United States of America.

McDowell is an egocentric, reckless man who doesn't care about his wife--he is rude and arrogant to his wife. He later divorces his wife after his son, Billie had successfully impregnated his half-sister, Tasha. What a confused family? More wickedly, McDowell resolves to kill his grandson who was being hospitalized after killing his fellow students at their school in a deadly mass shooting. This earns him an accusation of a second-degree murder case and subsequently sentenced for 25 years in jail. After One year and seven months, he successfully manages to escape his incarceration and seeks a hideaway. Will his seekers find him?

This novel is separated into two parts. Part one deals with the life of the protagonist, McDowell before his incarceration, while part two deals with his life after incarceration. Going by the story I found it hard to like the protagonist of this novel. I'm tempted to think that once a professional stop caring for his family, the same is transferred to his/her profession. McDowell doesn't care about his friends. He doesn't respect his friends. I believe that life is more important irrespective of whether the owner is guilty or not. I don't actually understand why McDowell had to end his grandson's life on a mere account of his guilt. He is now forced to wander in forests, moving from one state to another, from city to city, town to town pondering over his fate.

I must confess that this is one of the best novels I have read so far this year. I liked the writing style of William H. Coles. I smiled, I laughed and frowned at times. To me, this novel was a page-turner. The book is full of twists and turns that will make you read until very late hours in the night. The characters are well developed and nicely introduced in away not to cause confusion to the reader. Some of the characters like Paige Sterling, Ann, Sophie, and Max Rojas are hard to forget. Most of the characters were real and engaging.

The only thing I can say I didn't like about this novel is that it lacked a sense of time. I could not exactly tell at what time certain activities were taking place. Otherwise, I liked almost everything about this novel. I didn't find any typos or grammatical error in this book. This made me think that it was professionally edited.

I can confidently rate this wonderful novel a 4 out of 4 stars--it deserves nothing less. The unique writing styles, professional editing and the general flow of this novel make it deserves such a rating. I recommend this novel to those who love good crime novels. However, I would not recommend it, young children, since there are some sexual contents in this novel. I'm looking forward to reading other books by William H. Coles.

McDowell
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords

Like Nephyz+254's review? Post a comment saying so!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”