Official Review: Cucina Tipica: An Italian Adventure

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Official Review: Cucina Tipica: An Italian Adventure

Post by Cecilia_L »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Cucina Tipica: An Italian Adventure" by Andrew Cotto.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

"Jacoby felt as peaceful and inspired as he had in months. Maybe ever. The best two meals of his life had been over the first two days in Italy. The country itself was more beautiful than pictures could capture. The people spoke a lovely language and wore elegant clothes. It was all good. And he wanted in." So begins Jacoby Pine's love affair with Italy portrayed in Andrew Cotto's third novel, Cucina Tipica: An Italian Adventure.

When former musician turned PR consultant Jacoby loses his job and confidence in New York, he agrees to accompany his finance, Claire to spend a year abroad in Italy where she is on an extended assignment, as a travel writer. Though she has eaten at some of the world's finest restaurants, it is Jacoby who has what his finance refers to as "a golden palate," a gift he attributes to cooking and dining with his lonely father who died the previous summer. When he discovers an old photograph of a woman in an elegant dress dated 1939, Floria-Zanobini, in a box of his mother's belongings, Jacoby is intrigued. He wonders if it is fate, and his secret agenda becomes finding his connection to the woman in the photograph. After researching the location of the villa, Jacoby purposely rents a renovated barn for their stay in the nearby hills south of Florence, despite Claire's misgivings. As he endeavors to uncover the secret behind the photograph and heal his strained relationship with Claire, Jacoby falls in love with everything about Italy. From its breathtaking scenery, abundance of delicious cuisine, and the interesting locals he befriends, Jacoby feels a sense of belonging and becomes determined to stay.

Cotto's writing style is eloquently descriptive, and I savored this book as one would a fine meal. I was particularly moved by his poignant description linking Jacoby's strongest childhood memory of his mother with the lingering aroma of baking cookies from the Nabisco factory behind their home when he was just a toddler. He traces this memory to making the connection between smell and taste but also expresses the sadness the scent triggers.

Typically a homebody, I'm not usually prone to wanderlust, but I was so captivated by Jacoby's experiences as he embraced Italy's scenery, cuisine, culture, and people that I found myself longing to visit the country. Without revealing any plot spoilers, I thought the circumstances involving how Jacoby lost his job were quite realistic, as was the way the loss impacted his sense of identity.

Cotto's character development was also spot-on. The protagonist, Jacoby is transparent regarding his flaws and often deflects his insecurities with humor, making him likable and relatable to readers. He is surrounded by a diverse cast of well-rounded supporting characters including three strong females; Claire, her cousin Dolores, and Helen are no shrinking violets. I also admired the author's ability to convey social issues through the relationships between characters including sexism, ageism, and homophobia. Jacoby sensitively deals with each as they are presented without the subject feeling forced or preachy. For example, he befriends Bill, who shares some of the obstacles he has faced as an older gay man.

I'm pleased to rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. It was professionally edited, as I didn't not any errors, nor can I highlight any areas for improvement. It was a pleasure to read from start to finish. I recommend the book to fans of romantic, travel-inspired adventures such as Under the Tuscan Sun and Eat, Pray, Love. Please note, it is intended for mature readers, as it includes some R-rated profanity and sexual innuendos.

Cucina Tipica: An Italian Adventure
View: on Bookshelves

Like Cecilia_L's review? Post a comment saying so!
Debjani Ghosh
Favorite Book: The Lord Of The Rings
Currently Reading: The Evacuees
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-debjani-ghosh.html
Latest Review: Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

Post by Debjani Ghosh »

The title of the book as well the beautifully illustrated book cover - both drew me to the book. After reading your review, I am eager to grab a copy of this book. A well-written review as always!
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

Debjani Ghosh wrote: 29 Oct 2018, 00:41 The title of the book as well the beautifully illustrated book cover - both drew me to the book. After reading your review, I am eager to grab a copy of this book. A well-written review as always!
Thank you. Hope you enjoy the book!
cpru68
Favorite Book: What My Dog Taught Me About Jesus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 178
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cpru68.html
Latest Review: Heaven's Call by Roger Dawson
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by cpru68 »

Like you, I don't travel much, but when I read a book like what you describe here, it makes me want to update my passport and get on a plane! It sounds like the author did a great job putting this one together. I could not tell what this was about from the cover so your review cleared that right up! I find when a book brings up issues that I have strong feelings on, it is nice to see as you said here that it isn't 'preachy'. I am not going to agree with everything presented in a book at times, so it's nice to see it done in a 'soft' way and more real. Great job on this one.
Everything happens for a reason...
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

cpru68 wrote: 29 Oct 2018, 09:00 Like you, I don't travel much, but when I read a book like what you describe here, it makes me want to update my passport and get on a plane! It sounds like the author did a great job putting this one together. I could not tell what this was about from the cover so your review cleared that right up! I find when a book brings up issues that I have strong feelings on, it is nice to see as you said here that it isn't 'preachy'. I am not going to agree with everything presented in a book at times, so it's nice to see it done in a 'soft' way and more real. Great job on this one.
Thanks for your kind words.
jevvel
Currently Reading: Dyed Souls
Bookshelf Size: 36

Post by jevvel »

Wow! I greatly admire its peace of art, it applies the Attitude of an Italian who are known for a really good lovers..
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

jevvel wrote: 29 Oct 2018, 09:12 Wow! I greatly admire its peace of art, it applies the Attitude of an Italian who are known for a really good lovers..
Thanks for commenting.
HollandBlue
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hollandblue.html
Latest Review: It's Hard to Be a Vampire by Viktoria Faust
2024 Reading Goal: 24
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by HollandBlue »

Aaah! A trip to Italy in a book, could anything be better?! The story seems to be well-rounded with romance and a hint of mystery. I'll be adding this one to my TBR shelf. Thanks for your review!
:techie-studyinggray: when I get a little money I buy books; and if I have any left l buy food and clothes
Desiderius Erasmus Roterodamas
(1466-1536)
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I'm uncertain about this one. I am intrigued by Italy, so the setting is drawing me in. I do wonder what Jacob's connection to the woman in the photograph is. However, I'm just not sure if that would be enough to keep me interested. I'll consider this one a bit more. Thanks.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
writer808
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-writer808.html
Latest Review: The Chest of Visions by Tim Ferguson

Post by writer808 »

The plot of the book seems unique.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

BookReader+6 wrote: 29 Oct 2018, 09:47 Aaah! A trip to Italy in a book, could anything be better?! The story seems to be well-rounded with romance and a hint of mystery. I'll be adding this one to my TBR shelf. Thanks for your review!
Thank you. I appreciate your comment. :tiphat:
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

kandscreeley wrote: 29 Oct 2018, 10:18 I'm uncertain about this one. I am intrigued by Italy, so the setting is drawing me in. I do wonder what Jacob's connection to the woman in the photograph is. However, I'm just not sure if that would be enough to keep me interested. I'll consider this one a bit more. Thanks.
This story is definitely more about the journey and enjoying every moment in Italy. Thanks for stopping by.
gen_g
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

I love travelling when I can, and Rome is one of the places which I thoroughly enjoyed. The descriptions and writing style seems to be great too, so I am definitely intrigued by this book. Thanks for the review!
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

gen_g wrote: 29 Oct 2018, 21:57 I love travelling when I can, and Rome is one of the places which I thoroughly enjoyed. The descriptions and writing style seems to be great too, so I am definitely intrigued by this book. Thanks for the review!
Reading the book definitely gave me a stronger desire to visit. I appreciate your comment.
fredrick otieno
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fredrick-otieno.html
Latest Review: Kennedy's Revenge by Stephen L Rodenbeck

Post by fredrick otieno »

Must have been a great good, well thought and properly executed. I would love to read too.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”