Official Review: Friends by Gary Hope

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Julie Green
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julie-green.html
Latest Review: Fate Line by Marc J. Seifer

Re: Official Review: Friends by Gary Hope

Post by Julie Green »

FictionLover wrote: 29 Oct 2018, 18:43

This is one of the few times that I have truly struggled to choose a rating. I warmed to the characters and I enjoyed reading about their travels.
It is too bad that you found the writing simplistic. Good writers in this vein are hard to find. When I was younger I was lucky to happen upon John Steinbeck's Travels with Charley and William Least Heat-Moon's Blue Highways, which both set the bar pretty high.

I'm not sure if I will add this one to my list.

:auto-camptrailer:
Thanks for the suggestions! I love travel books so am a bit of a harsh critic of them as I've read so many crackerjack travel adventure books :)
Kajori Sheryl Paul
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 975
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kajori-sheryl-paul.html
Latest Review: Alien Bonds by Carmen Webster Buxton

Post by Kajori Sheryl Paul »

Friendships always become stronger during road-trips.

Thank you for the great review.
Julie Green
Currently Reading:

Post by Julie Green »

evan1995muniz wrote: 29 Oct 2018, 16:09 hmm, i am not sure about this novel. It seems like the author did put some time and all authors deffinatly deserve credit, but it is not my type. thanks for your review. shame it was a simplistic novel.
Thank you for stopping by and commenting
Julie Green
Currently Reading:

Post by Julie Green »

gen_g wrote: 30 Oct 2018, 01:52 The road trip certainly sounds really exciting, and I'm glad that you enjoyed it somewhat despite the various negatives. I suppose that I will give this a pass. Thanks for the informative review, still!
Thanks for your comment :D
Julie Green
Currently Reading:

Post by Julie Green »

Caylie_Cat wrote: 30 Oct 2018, 01:55 I read a story once about a man who traveled with just his two cats for company, and this book reminds me of that story. I agree that simplistic writing can be a tad boring, but on the other hand, it might make a nice bedtime book- not too much excitement and nothing to induce bad dreams. Thanks for the review!
Yes, you're right. This book has a gentle cadence that could rock you to sleep! :sleeping-sleeping:
Julie Green
Currently Reading:

Post by Julie Green »

wendos wrote: 30 Oct 2018, 11:58 I hope other readers will enjoy reading the book, as for me I don't think it piques my interest. Nice review.
Thank you for your comment :)
kfwilson6
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by kfwilson6 »

Mundane sounds like the best description of this book. Although your review made me want to pack a bag and just hit the road with my hubby, I don't think I would want to pack this book to read along the way. I absolutely agree about souvenir shops! Every time I go to a "tourist" spot, I feel like the tourists are ruining it. And of course, I'm one of them. Haha. But it is hard to truly experience a beautiful historic spot with hundreds of people trying to take selfies and littering the site :(
Julie Green
Currently Reading:

Post by Julie Green »

Cotwani wrote: 01 Nov 2018, 00:24 The books title reminded me of the long time ago TV series. Sad that these friends adventures turned mundane unlike the friends in the series! Great review!
Thank you for your comment :D
Julie Green
Currently Reading:

Post by Julie Green »

Kajori50 wrote: 02 Nov 2018, 06:35 Friendships always become stronger during road-trips.

Thank you for the great review.
I agree with you about friendship and travel. Thank ypu for commenting.
Julie Green
Currently Reading:

Post by Julie Green »

kfwilson6 wrote: 03 Nov 2018, 16:25 Mundane sounds like the best description of this book. Although your review made me want to pack a bag and just hit the road with my hubby, I don't think I would want to pack this book to read along the way. I absolutely agree about souvenir shops! Every time I go to a "tourist" spot, I feel like the tourists are ruining it. And of course, I'm one of them. Haha. But it is hard to truly experience a beautiful historic spot with hundreds of people trying to take selfies and littering the site :(
I know what you mean - I'm always trying to get away from those darned tourists when of course I'm one of them too! Thanks for your comment :)
ReyvrexQuestor Reyes
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Raven's Peak</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 299
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reyvrexquestor-reyes.html
Latest Review: Journey by Lindsay Schuster
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by ReyvrexQuestor Reyes »

I was amazed to know simplistic writing could also be a fault. For one who is labeled by some as hard to read, I find some hope in this development, at least, my own writing could now find solace, if faulty it has been. Well, I understand, to be interesting, the subject must not be so commonplace as to appear so trite for readers. But on the other hand, it could not be helped if people just wanted to have their diary published. Thanks for your interesting review.
"In the beginning was the word.........John 1:1"
...To delineate the times that lovers miss,
...A thousand dreams can't beat a single kiss.

-reyvrex (Love Sonnet 107)
Julie Green
Currently Reading:

Post by Julie Green »

ReyvrexQuestor Reyes wrote: 06 Nov 2018, 22:07 I was amazed to know simplistic writing could also be a fault. For one who is labeled by some as hard to read, I find some hope in this development, at least, my own writing could now find solace, if faulty it has been. Well, I understand, to be interesting, the subject must not be so commonplace as to appear so trite for readers. But on the other hand, it could not be helped if people just wanted to have their diary published. Thanks for your interesting review.
You make an interesting point. I think it's a fine line between simple language being elegant or mundane.

Thanks for commenting :)
Dael Reader
Currently Reading: The Story of Arthur Truluv
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dael-reader.html
Latest Review: Extraordinary Stories From Everyday People (and me) by Les Clark
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Dael Reader »

I think this is the kind of friendship story we see most often with women as the protagonists. One about men taking time to deepen their friendship could be interesting. But it also sounds like this book leaves a little bit to be desired in terms of writing style. Another good idea lacking great execution. Thanks for this detailed review.
Book Lover 35
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-book-lover-35.html
Latest Review: VieVie La Fontaine by Linda Heavner Gerald

Post by Book Lover 35 »

I think this book could make me want to go on a road trip. It sounds like a fun story to read about a friendship. Thank you for the review!
:tiphat:
Bianka Walter
Favorite Book: The Old Man and the Sea
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianka-walter.html
Latest Review: Thir13en by Keegan Nielsen
Reading Device: B06XD5YCKX

Post by Bianka Walter »

Julie Green wrote: 28 Oct 2018, 10:04 I know this because, as I was reading the book, I wanted to join Bill and Allen on their trip.
As I was reading your review, I wanted to join Bill and Allen on their trip. Although, I'm a sucker for any trip. I think it's great that you could relate to a lot of their journey. I'm also a little jealous.
Wonderful review :)
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”