Official Review: Friends by Gary Hope

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Julie Green
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julie-green.html
Latest Review: Fate Line by Marc J. Seifer

Official Review: Friends by Gary Hope

Post by Julie Green »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Friends" by Gary Hope.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Two elderly gentlemen, Bill and Allen, decide to go on a road trip across America. Bill and Allen are old friends who have lost their wives through divorce and bereavement respectively. They set off together in a camper van, with no particular destination in mind. Visiting many famous locations on their travels, such as the Grand Canyon, Mount Rushmore and Niagara Falls, the two friends create adventures out of simple occurrences. In a glacier park in Montana, for example, their camper van is charged by a buffalo. In San Francisco, they meet Johnny Depp having a morning coffee. As they travel around the country, they share memories of their youth and ponder the meaning of life. When they return home, they are changed by their experiences on the road.

Friends by Gary Hope presents a gentle meander across America, through the eyes of two friends. This book reminds me of my own road trip across the country many years ago; the author does a good job of conveying the liberating impact of travelling, and the sheer bliss of having no commitments. I know this because, as I was reading the book, I wanted to join Bill and Allen on their trip.

The strength of this book lies in the description of shared experiences between two companions. I like, for example, how Bill and Allen find pleasure in competing to throw pebbles in rivers as they proceed around the country. It is true that this kind of simple experience can be as memorable as any landmark visited. I also empathise with their disappointment when souvenir shops seem to be given more prominence than monuments. In a similar vein, I like how the souvenirs that they do treasure relate more to their personal experiences rather than to the places they visited - for example, a mounted salmon that was received as a memento of a fishing trip. On their last night on the road, Bill and Allen reminisce about their favourite experiences of the trip; this is a moment I recognise from my own travels.

The affection between the two friends is gladdening. The author makes a virtue of the banality of their conversations. For example, Bill and Allen discuss why Route 17 only stretches for 13 kilometres. The wryness of the dialogue made me smile, if not laugh.

This is one of the few times that I have truly struggled to choose a rating. I warmed to the characters and I enjoyed reading about their travels. Unfortunately, I am afraid that the writing is a little too simplistic and the dialogue a tad too mundane. As a result, I rate this book 2 out of 4 stars. This book will appeal to those who enjoy simple stories about companionship. People who love to travel, as well as those who enjoy travel stories, will also find the book diverting.

Friends
View: on Bookshelves

Like Julie Green's review? Post a comment saying so!
Debjani Ghosh
Favorite Book: The Lord Of The Rings
Currently Reading: The Evacuees
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-debjani-ghosh.html
Latest Review: Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

Post by Debjani Ghosh »

I am already bitten by wanderlust after reading your review of this book. However, I would have liked the book to have more engaging conversations and a more sophisticated writing. Thanks for the review, Julie!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Well, I like the thought of two friends setting out together to keep each other company. However, with the rather simplistic writing, I'm not sure I would have enough interest to actually complete this book. With too many others on my list, I'm afraid I'm going to pass on this one. Thanks.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
writer808
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-writer808.html
Latest Review: The Chest of Visions by Tim Ferguson

Post by writer808 »

The book seems to be a very interesting one.In addition, good review.
Alicia09
Currently Reading: The Cartel Crusher
Bookshelf Size: 270
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alicia09.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by Alicia09 »

When I first saw the picture and the title of this book, I thought it was about two men falling in love with each other. Now my gay little heart is sad that was not the case. But seriously, I do appreciate you writing a review for such a humdrum book. I do think that this has an audience, if people want to read something that is relaxing and mellow. It's just that with all the literary options that are out there, I would imagine that most people would prefer to read something that is a little more action packed. Or a lot more action packed. Thanks, though. I will have to pass on this one. If I'm not reading gay/lesbian love stories, I love reading crime stories and horror books.
:character-ariel:
evan1995muniz
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-evan1995muniz.html
Latest Review: Escape by Mark Kingston Levin, PhD

Post by evan1995muniz »

hmm, i am not sure about this novel. It seems like the author did put some time and all authors deffinatly deserve credit, but it is not my type. thanks for your review. shame it was a simplistic novel.
FictionLover
Favorite Book: If life stinks get your head outta your buts
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fictionlover.html
Latest Review: Winning the War on Cancer by Sylvie Beljanski
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by FictionLover »

This is one of the few times that I have truly struggled to choose a rating. I warmed to the characters and I enjoyed reading about their travels. Unfortunately, I am afraid that the writing is a little too simplistic and the dialogue a tad too mundane. As a result, I rate this book 2 out of 4 stars. This book will appeal to those who enjoy simple stories about companionship. People who love to travel, as well as those who enjoy travel stories, will also find the book diverting.
It is too bad that you found the writing simplistic. Good writers in this vein are hard to find. When I was younger I was lucky to happen upon John Steinbeck's Travels with Charley and William Least Heat-Moon's Blue Highways, which both set the bar pretty high.

I'm not sure if I will add this one to my list.

:auto-camptrailer:
"I love reading another reader’s list of favorites. Even when I find I do not share their tastes or predilections, I am provoked to compare, contrast, and contradict. It is a most healthy exercise, and one altogether fruitful." T.S. Eliot
gen_g
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

The road trip certainly sounds really exciting, and I'm glad that you enjoyed it somewhat despite the various negatives. I suppose that I will give this a pass. Thanks for the informative review, still!
Caylie_Cat
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-caylie-cat.html
Latest Review: The Traveler's Best Seller by Rick Incorvia

Post by Caylie_Cat »

I read a story once about a man who traveled with just his two cats for company, and this book reminds me of that story. I agree that simplistic writing can be a tad boring, but on the other hand, it might make a nice bedtime book- not too much excitement and nothing to induce bad dreams. Thanks for the review!
wendos
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wendos.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by wendos »

I hope other readers will enjoy reading the book, as for me I don't think it piques my interest. Nice review.
Julie Green
Currently Reading:

Post by Julie Green »

Debjani Ghosh wrote: 29 Oct 2018, 10:14 I am already bitten by wanderlust after reading your review of this book. However, I would have liked the book to have more engaging conversations and a more sophisticated writing. Thanks for the review, Julie!
Ah wanderlust, it's a wonderful thing .. thanks for your comment
Julie Green
Currently Reading:

Post by Julie Green »

kandscreeley wrote: 29 Oct 2018, 10:26 Well, I like the thought of two friends setting out together to keep each other company. However, with the rather simplistic writing, I'm not sure I would have enough interest to actually complete this book. With too many others on my list, I'm afraid I'm going to pass on this one. Thanks.
Yes, the idea was good, just a bit thin on substance . Thanks for commenting.
Julie Green
Currently Reading:

Post by Julie Green »

writer808 wrote: 29 Oct 2018, 10:36 The book seems to be a very interesting one.In addition, good review.
Thanks for stopping by and commenting.
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cotwani.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Connie Otwani »

The books title reminded me of the long time ago TV series. Sad that these friends adventures turned mundane unlike the friends in the series! Great review!
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney
Julie Green
Currently Reading:

Post by Julie Green »

Alicia09 wrote: 29 Oct 2018, 10:48 When I first saw the picture and the title of this book, I thought it was about two men falling in love with each other. Now my gay little heart is sad that was not the case. But seriously, I do appreciate you writing a review for such a humdrum book. I do think that this has an audience, if people want to read something that is relaxing and mellow. It's just that with all the literary options that are out there, I would imagine that most people would prefer to read something that is a little more action packed. Or a lot more action packed. Thanks, though. I will have to pass on this one. If I'm not reading gay/lesbian love stories, I love reading crime stories and horror books.
Ah yes, the cover photo is misleading.. also because the two young men shown are definitely not elderly, retired gents! :)

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”