Review by Sirajuddin -- McDowell by William H. Coles

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Sirajuddin
Currently Reading: Zeva
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sirajuddin.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Review by Sirajuddin -- McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by Sirajuddin » 26 Oct 2018, 10:55

[Following is a volunteer review of "McDowell" by William H. Coles.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

McDowell by William H. Coles is a fictional story of a surgeon who is eager to climb the ladder of success by hook or crook. And he is a passionate climber, and his expertise in climbing and surviving in the harsh climate is remarkable. His ambitions are high, and he can go to any extent to achieve them. He becomes the president of the International College of Surgeons, and by exercising this new authority, he wants to improve healthcare and education. But in his pursuit of achieving success, he forgets ethics, and empathy for others and pays the price for it.

William H. Coles knows the art of characterization very well, and the main character he developed in the form of Hiram Mcdowell, for this plot is a masterpiece of his craft. And this character of the novel has some virtues but not free from the flaws.

Hiram is ruthless at times and doesn't hesitate to backstab even his close friends, as it appears when Hiram becomes president of the International College of Surgeons, he removes his friend from his position. Hiram enjoys extramarital affairs, even after his third marriage. And on the family side, Hiram fails to save his third marriage with Carole, when he disagrees with Carole for the marriage of his son Billie with her daughter Tasha.

The middle part of the story revolves around Hiram and his relationship with his children as he proves himself as a supportive father and shows love and affection for his children. And Hiram travels with Sophie and Billie to Kathmandu, and they stay in their own furnished apartments near the hospital. In Nepal, both Sophie and Billie explore their passion for photography and capture interesting pictures. There are some dull moments in this middle part of the story that I didn't like.

But in the last part of the novel, the story takes a sharp turn, when the life of Hiram turns upside down, and the story gathers momentum, and it is pacy from here. In a case of euthanasia, Hiram assists the suicide of his grandson, and the jury convicts and sentences him to twenty-five years for second- degree murder. And Hiram thinks that he doesn't deserve this fate and escapes from the jail.

Now Hiram is a fugitive and takes the safe route of mountains to avoid the police. As he is an expert in climbing and trekking, and knows how to survive in harsh natural surroundings and finds a safe haven in the wilderness of Montana. And in this wilderness and loneliness, Hiram becomes an enlightened man.

My favorite part of the novel is when Hiram shows his generous human side when he saves an injured girl's life, by using his professional experience.

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars, because I didn't spot any typos or grammatical errors, and the presentation of the book is very professional. I enjoyed reading this great piece of fiction, and to a greater extent, this novel is interesting and engaging.

McDowell
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords

Like Sirajuddin's review? Post a comment saying so!

Ayat paarsa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ayat-paarsa.html
Latest Review: My Trip To Adele by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer

Post by Ayat paarsa » 03 Nov 2018, 09:03

Lots of appreciation for a comprehensive
review. Nepal trekking was the something, I really interested in.
:idea2: "Buts" don't work. :eusa-naughty:

Sushan
2018 Reading Goal: 10
2017 Reading Goal: 0
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 160
Currently Reading: Days of the Giants
Bookshelf Size: 135
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan.html
Latest Review: The Crystilleries of Echoland by Dew Pellucid

Post by Sushan » 08 Nov 2018, 12:20

Good review regarding the recently most discussed book. Enjoyed your review and thank you 👍👍
"He has a right to criticize, who has a heart to help"

Abraham Lincoln

:techie-studyingbrown: $u$han €kanayak€ :techie-studyingbrown:

Zimall
Currently Reading: Adrift
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zimall.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by Zimall » Yesterday, 09:26

I recently finished this novel and it was really enjoyable. Author's defending attitude towards euthanasia was disturbing but overall a great story. Thumbs up for the review 👍

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”