Review by jedreid -- McDowell by William H. Coles

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
jedreid
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2017 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 11
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jedreid.html
Latest Review: The Traveler's Best Seller by Rick Incorvia

Review by jedreid -- McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by jedreid » 23 Oct 2018, 03:46

[Following is a volunteer review of "McDowell" by William H. Coles.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

What motivates a man to throw his morals just to gain wealth and power? What will happen to him when he loses everything? Can he change his ideals and ways for the better? Or will he remain unyielding until the end?

McDowell, a novel written by William H. Coles, follows the life of Hiram McDowell, a protagonist you might hate for his selfishness and arrogance but with a story that you could learn a lot from.

Hiram McDowell is a self-centered and ambitious surgeon, someone who won’t let anything to stand on his way to the top. Publicly, he plays the part of an idealistic and respectable humanitarian as he ran a medical foundation in Nepal, led the international college of surgeons and was nominated to be the United States Secretary of Health. In reality though, he is selfish and morally flawed. A person who treats women like objects, cheats on his wife, uses other people for his own gain and disregards them afterwards. Actually divided into two parts, the first part of the book covers the life of Hiram as he rises to the top while amassing enemies and people’s ire along the way. On the other hand, the second part comprises his fall, the consequences of his past actions.

I was so hooked with the plot it was really a struggle to put down this book once I get started especially when one by one, each well-developed character was introduced in the story and had come to be an important part of a whole. As I read, I was able to feel with the characters and was filled with different emotions like happiness, sadness, anger, hate and love. Though I didn’t think I will hate and love a character as much as I do with Hiram. He confused me sometimes with his actions as one moment he’s being crude and then an unorthodox but still loving father the next. He made me pause and think and that made him a truly remarkable character, someone I will surely remember for a very long time.

I love the psychological aspect of this novel as it was challenging to think and understand the characters’, specifically Hiram’s actions, reasons and motivations. Furthermore, I love how politics in healthcare and journalism were explored through the story, how there were also citing of sexism or the corrupt practices in some philanthropic foundations. Though it was so sad to realize, that yes, those circumstances were actually happening in real life.

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars because it was well-written and I didn’t find anything to dislike about it. It was also thought-provoking, thus, I highly recommend this to everyone but most especially to those who love crime and psychological stories.

McDowell
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords

Like jedreid's review? Post a comment saying so!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”