Review by cvetelina_yovcheva87 -- McDowell

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
cvetelina_yovcheva87
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cvetelina-yovcheva87.html
Latest Review: The Crystilleries of Echoland by Dew Pellucid

Review by cvetelina_yovcheva87 -- McDowell

Post by cvetelina_yovcheva87 » 22 Oct 2018, 07:35

[Following is a volunteer review of "McDowell" by William H. Coles.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

McDowell is a brilliant novel by William H. Coles. It presents an insightful picture of the character’s spiritual development. McDowell’s character is quite complicated. He is first presented as a successful surgeon who has contributed a lot to the health care in Nepal. However, in his private life, he is selfish and does not care for the feelings of the others. He uses the surrounding people to achieve his goals, and his main aim is fame. He is good at manipulating the others. McDowell is presented as a negligent father who rarely pays attention to his kids. However, he is always ready to support them when they cannot cope with a problem by themselves. The reason he finds himself in prison is exactly his desire to protect his relatives. This is a crucial moment for the character and the beginning of his rebirth.

McDowell is divided into two parts. The first part presents the successful and ambitious Hiram McDowell who is always in the spotlight. The second part presents him as a fugitive who is trying to escape not only from the law but also from his past. The life of a refugee reveals to Hiram the mistakes he has made in his past. He realizes that some of the decisions he has made are the reason for him to be in this miserable condition. The reborn Hiram makes a lot of new friends and tries to help them overcome their problems.

The novel is simply amazing. It deals with a lot of social issues. There are pages dedicated to the inferior roles of women in Eastern cultures. The novel also focuses on problems concerning gun possession and the education of children. My favorite part of the book is the one referring to Hiram’s change from an egoist to an altruist. It is really amazing to see how one can totally change his attitude toward the world.

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars because it is really great. I think that it is a suitable choice for all types of readers as there is love, passion, betrayal, and crime in it. Maybe only the science-fiction lovers will not find it grabbing. I really adore the book and, if I have a chance, I will read other books by William H. Coles. His knowledge of the human soul is striking.

I noticed several typos including double negations and misuse of pronouns, but the book is, as a whole, professionally edited and is a really grabbing reading.

McDowell
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords

Like cvetelina_yovcheva87's review? Post a comment saying so!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”