Review by Braunsucre -- McDowell by William H. Coles

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Braunsucre
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-braunsucre.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Review by Braunsucre -- McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by Braunsucre » 18 Oct 2018, 17:46

[Following is a volunteer review of "McDowell" by William H. Coles.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Hiram McDowell used every weapon in his arsenal, both moral and immoral, to achieve his aim. He fought tooth and nail to get to the top. He did. McDowell, by William H. Coles is no doubt a well-written novel with many twists and turns.

Hiram's persona betrays a sore lack of values, morals, and ethics. His mad drive for excellence bothers on obsession. His treatment of his wife, children, stepchildren, and even colleagues leaves much to be desired. All these shortcomings led to his inevitable fall from the heights to the lowest depths of prison. While in prison, he was attacked by a prisoner. He sustained a puncture on his lungs and nearly lost his life. Hiram quickly realized that for him, survival in prison is impossible. He began planning on escape, and soon enough, he was on the run.

The plot arrangement follows a logical order. The narrative voice is written in simple, short, and clear sentences. It makes the book quite easy to understand. In my opinion, the storyline is in touch with the real world. The behaviors observed in the protagonist is becoming increasingly common in people today. The consequences of such unwholesome characters also often catch up with them sooner or later.

There is much to learn from the different characters in this book. Most of them have their own individual flaws and strengths. The author's level of exposure and experience stands out in this book. However, I feel that the writing style is too fast-paced. It also appears that some of the negative behaviors were given some form of subtle acceptance. I noticed this in the part about Ann's infidelity due to her husband's lack of interest in her. I think this might unwittingly encourage such negative behaviors in readers.

The theme of this book is most appropriate to its content. Hiram McDowell's flawed life is really an interesting and captivating one to read about. It is good to note that this book has been professionally edited as well. I was able to find only one error throughout the entire text.

As noted earlier, this book has a lot of moral lessons and interesting episodes. I would recommend this book to people of teenage years and above because there is much wisdom to be tapped from it. I would rate this book 4 out of 4 stars due to its meticulous editing and realistic storyline.

McDowell
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords

Like Braunsucre's review? Post a comment saying so!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”