Official Review: A Woman's Prerogative by Steven C. Brandt

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Sumbule1
Currently Reading: The Five Musketeers
Bookshelf Size: 137
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sumbule1.html
Latest Review: Pancake Money by Finn Bell

Re: Official Review: A Woman's Prerogative by Steven C. Brandt

Post by Sumbule1 »

The novel is a romantic adventure with historical roots in the famous gold rushes sounds interesting. Congrats on BOTD and thanks for the free copy!
ea_anthony
Favorite Book: Praying successfully
Currently Reading: Prisoners of Geography
Bookshelf Size: 650
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ea-anthony.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by ea_anthony »

This is quite a brilliant review, well written and detailed. Even if I was not up for a historical romance/adventure, this review has definitely done it for. Gold rush story settings usually fare well, I hope this does so too. Congrats to the author on #BOTD
Ignorance promotes divisiveness, knowledge encourages diversity. :techie-studyingbrown:
jaliper
Currently Reading: The Healer
Bookshelf Size: 598

Post by jaliper »

Romance and historical stories interest me so much. In real life, sometimes people developed their character a bit too late. So maybe that's how Greta will be, if the author will create a book two or something. Anyway, great review. Thanks!
Okafor Prosper
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 250
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-okafor-prosper.html
Latest Review: 52 Pieces: by Dr. Marina Kostina

Post by Okafor Prosper »

Romance is my favorite genre and this one seems to be well executed. I'm interested in seeing how Alex and Greta's relationship fares in the face of all the obstacles. Nice review.
Ub43I59
Favorite Book: For the Love of God
Currently Reading: The Judge
Bookshelf Size: 109

Post by Ub43I59 »

Steven C. Brandt's brings to life gold-mining adventure and romance as Greta rises to only female Presiden of Sadler corporation: the other family Macqueen intertwine to give atwist to the saga. Detailed review. Congrats on BOTD
Shas F
Currently Reading: Monsters in the Hallway
Bookshelf Size: 255
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shas-f.html
Latest Review: The Engine Woman's Light by Laurel Anne Hill

Post by Shas F »

A Woman's Prerogative by Steven C Brandt picks a woman, Greta, as a lead character in a heavy, capital-intensive and risky industry of gold mining, where tough decisions are always made and even tougher situations faced. That in itself is impressive. Usually, lead female characters placed as CEOs of their businesses are in charge of corporations that would benefit from female perspectives, creativity, instincts, sense of glamor and empathy, and her penchant to nurture, such as fashion, luxury, hospitality, cosmetics, restaurants, services and personal care. Not that these are soft industries. In fact, these industries require the sharpest, most competitive and imaginative CEOs you can find. But you're more likely to find female executives here because the strongest female qualities are in alliance with the needs of these industries. Traditionally, gold mining is associated with the male drive for conquest in tough environments. Brandt's decision to put a woman character in charge of a mining corporation is rare and stands out. And he seems to have pulled it off with the 4-star rating given by reviewer Cecilia_L who finds the book's chapters on details of the mining business engaging. That's no mean feat in a novel that is supposed to offer dramatic excitement, business adventure and romance. Cecilia_L, however, has criticized the characterization of Greta as unrelateable at times. Could it be because the author is a man who created basically a male character trapped in a man's body? The hardest character to write, it seems, is a woman who exists in a place where one does not usually expect her to be.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”