Review by NicholetH -- McDowell by William H. Coles

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
NicholetH
2018 Reading Goal: 15
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 340
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nicholeth.html
Latest Review: Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella
Reading Device: B0053QC0EU

Review by NicholetH -- McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by NicholetH » 17 Oct 2018, 08:54

[Following is a volunteer review of "McDowell" by William H. Coles.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

William H. Coles is an award-winning author. He wrote short stories, essays on writing, and novels. He also has a website dedicated to educational material and free workshops online for fiction writers. He lives in Salt Lake City, Utah.

McDowell is a fiction novel about a man named Hiram McDowell written by William H Coles. Hiram is elected President of the International College of Surgeons. He had strong credentials in the delivery of healthcare. His ambition was to climb every peak above 8000 meters in Nepal. He was in the peak of his life. Unfortunately McDowell is a really selfish and arrogant man who doesn’t think of anyone else’s feeling. This will be his downfall in the end. He is also a very ambitious man and would do anything to get what he wants, even if it means betraying his friends or disappointing his family. Then Hiram was accused of scientific misconduct. The lab falsified results and there were suspicions that Hiram knew about it. But this would only be the beginning of his troubles. An event in his life will change everything for him. He is forced to go on the run and survive on his own. He loses everything.

This story really captured me although I didn’t much like McDowell as a person. What I liked about the story is the skill in which William H Coles wrote the book. It was very intense and he did not hold anything back. I enjoyed that the book was very adventurous. Hiram’s journey is very different to those of any other character I have read about. What I didn’t like about the book was how Hiram treated and thought of women and I did not like his arrogance.

This book really peaked my curiosity and kept me reading to find out how it will all turn out for McDowell. The plot was very well thought out. The chapters with different characters in always had a connection to McDowell and flowed well. I could not find any grammatical errors which was very refreshing.

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. I appreciate the author’s skill in writing. It was not a type of book that I normally enjoy reading, but this was worth reading. McDowell was a very interesting read. I recommend this book to any adult who enjoys drama and seeing selfish heroes come to a fall and to those who enjoy good fiction. If you are someone who gets easily offended by rude and selfish people then this book would be a bit much. I would like to congratulate the author on a very well written book.

McDowell
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords

Like NicholetH's review? Post a comment saying so!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”