Official Review: Life Works When by Sarah Godfrey

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
EmunahAn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 159
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emunahan.html
Latest Review: Unremembered Victory by Dennis H. Klein

Official Review: Life Works When by Sarah Godfrey

Post by EmunahAn »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Life Works When" by Sarah Godfrey.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Life Works When by Sarah Godfrey is an inspirational read that takes us on a journey of life and the attainment of happiness.

In the beginning, Mo stares up the unnerving flight of stairs he has to climb. He has tried before and keeps failing. Nothing seems to work. He tries going backward or even skipping some stairs, but every time he ends up tumbling to the start. The process becomes much more frustrating with every effort and worse still, he has not figured out how to use the happiness jigsaw puzzle that he has to carry along to the top. One day, a stranger arrives. Mo is curious and excited to see how the new person will fair. At first, everything that Happ does seems to make no sense to Mo. He is sure that this new friend will fail as he has done before. Later Mo realizes how Happ’s style is different and could be the key to unlock his own jigsaw puzzle of happiness.

The use of a story to convey the themes and core messages is a brilliant idea that allowed me to remain engaged to the end. Mo’s perspective to life and how happiness is achieved is relatable. Happ’s viewpoint and actions, on the other hand, opened my mind to new ways to view unexpected occurrences and what happiness actually is as well as life in general.

Carol Gray’s illustrations are whimsical and fun which makes the reading experience much more enjoyable. The illustrations are not too colorful or striking that they take away the reader’s attention from the main story, rather, they complement the content of the book as they entertain and point to Godfrey’s work.

Sarah Godfrey keeps the book’s length short making it a quick read. The story is straight-forward and can be easily understood by adults and children alike. The language used is easily understandable and delivers the book’s message perfectly. The quotes marked in the book provide great learning points. They also helped me put what I had learned into perspective and provided great take away points. I liked the authenticity in Godfrey’s message. What is written in the book is not necessarily new but the way everything is organized and how the message is put together is what makes the difference.

Overall, Life Works When by Sarah Godfrey is enlightening as it encourages the reader to seek after their own happiness and it also provides guiding steps to achieving it. It is suitable for any reader, regardless of their age, who wants to lead a meaningful and happy life. I rate it 4 out of 4 stars.

Life Works When
View: on Bookshelves

Like EmunahAn's review? Post a comment saying so!
“Reading is escape, and the opposite of escape; it's a way to make contact with reality after a day of making things up, and it's a way of making contact with someone else's imagination after a day that's all too real.”
― Nora Ephron
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

This one sounds very different from the usual fare. Enlightening and teaching in a fun way. I might just have to try this one for those reasons. I wonder if Mo can learn from Happ? Thanks!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
T_stone
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-t-stone.html
Latest Review: Marketing on Fleek by Kobi Ben Meir
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by T_stone »

The fact that it's an easy read and can be read by children and adults, makes it neutral inspirational book that anyone can learn from.
Feeling upset sometimes may be unavoidable, but acting distressed is always optional.

Rob White
writer808
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-writer808.html
Latest Review: The Chest of Visions by Tim Ferguson

Post by writer808 »

I like interactive books and this seems like one of them.
Sumra Abbas
Currently Reading: Bama Boy
Bookshelf Size: 15

Post by Sumra Abbas »

Its really inspirational story for me. Surprisingly even after a lot of practice we arent able to achieve few goal. While the hidden secret is 'to change the strategy' to achieve that soecific goal. I learned it from here.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”