Official Review: King of Time by Sky Sommers

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Official Review: King of Time by Sky Sommers

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "King of Time" by Sky Sommers.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

King of Time is an exciting and adventurous fantasy novel written by Sky Sommers.

It is New Year’s Eve in New York but instead of enjoying the fireworks like every other New Yorker, Lila is sitting in front of her laptop suffering from a severe case of writer’s block. As if mocking her from the screen is the title of the book she promised to submit to her publisher before the year is out. Frustrated and desperate, Lila wishes for more time to write her book and is rewarded with the sudden appearance of a handsome and super hot guy who introduces himself as Time.

Naturally skeptical and understandably suspicious, Lila has a hard time accepting what the stranger, who prefers to be called Adam, offers, which is to help her track down her imagination who has been lost since Lila’s best friend Harry died a year ago. However, Lila is pressed for time and has no other choice but to trust Adam and hunt down her long-lost imagination.

She is magically transported to the Enchanted Dimension where she is reunited with a magic frog she had met before she changed everything about herself as a result of Harry’s death. Then, she is off to the Magic Kingdom where she meets a Harpy, a talking stallion, a snotty stable boy, and a damsel in distress among others.

Meanwhile, Adam is starting to develop humanlike characteristics which may turn into an unexpected predicament.

Told in the third-person perspective, this is an interesting, exciting, and magical book about finding oneself. The author successfully depicts how someone can lose himself/herself and lose sight of his/her goal because of the inability to get over a tragedy. Lila’s losing Imogen (how her imagination likes to be called) symbolizes the loss of someone’s creativity as he/she succumbs to despair and regret. Moreover, the book portrays how clinging to someone or something can lead to sluggishness, passivity, and ultimately, total stagnation.

The book begins with a fast pacing and proceeds a little bit slower after the initial chapters, though not to the point of dragging. The author does a great job with describing the medieval setting of the Magic Kingdom. It works very well with the informal and conversational tone in giving the book an upbeat mood. The plot is a combination of familiar and unpredictable. In addition to a set of intriguing characters, the author presents endings for both the optimistic and pessimistic readers.

Overall, this is one enjoyable book. However, I would appreciate additional backstories on the characters to make them more relatable. Moreover, I find the backstory on Harry kind of ambiguous to justify the intensity of pain and despair that Lila went through. Finally, there are several noticeable errors within the entire book (like a whole heard instead of a whole herd and plaid out instead of played out).

I, therefore, rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. It is interesting, exciting, and romantic. I recommend it to fans of romance and fantasy novels.

King of Time
View: on Bookshelves

Like kimmyschemy06's review? Post a comment saying so!
Sonya Nicolaidis
Favorite Book: McDowell
Currently Reading: The Dark Web Murders
Bookshelf Size: 403
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sonya-nicolaidis.html
Latest Review: My Delightfully Dysfunctional Family by Loraine Hartley

Post by Sonya Nicolaidis »

It sounds great when YOU relate the story, but I don’t think I would make it to the end of this book! I’ll wait for the RomCom to come out. Many thanks for a good review, ‘tho.
T_stone
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-t-stone.html
Latest Review: Marketing on Fleek by Kobi Ben Meir
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by T_stone »

A book of fantasy filled with romance with great characters sounds like a fun read to me. "Was Lila able to recover from losing her Imogen?" will be the question for optimistic readers. You've done a good job with this review. Nice one.
Feeling upset sometimes may be unavoidable, but acting distressed is always optional.

Rob White
HollandBlue
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hollandblue.html
Latest Review: It's Hard to Be a Vampire by Viktoria Faust
2024 Reading Goal: 24
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by HollandBlue »

Although the storyline sounds interesting, this type of fantasy book doesn't appeal to me. Thanks for your review!
:techie-studyinggray: when I get a little money I buy books; and if I have any left l buy food and clothes
Desiderius Erasmus Roterodamas
(1466-1536)
Britty01
Favorite Book: Will's Red Coat
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-britty01.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Britty01 »

From the review, I believe this book has many elements in the story that will appeal to me. I am intrigued about what Lila has changed about herself and what will happen with Adam as he becomes more human. It is a pity about the backstory on Harry being a little ambiguous.
kimmyschemy06

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

sonya01 wrote: 16 Oct 2018, 00:30 It sounds great when YOU relate the story, but I don’t think I would make it to the end of this book! I’ll wait for the RomCom to come out. Many thanks for a good review, ‘tho.
Thank you and you're welcome.
kimmyschemy06

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

T_stone wrote: 16 Oct 2018, 02:12 A book of fantasy filled with romance with great characters sounds like a fun read to me. "Was Lila able to recover from losing her Imogen?" will be the question for optimistic readers. You've done a good job with this review. Nice one.
Thank you! The romance is just part of the fun.
Debjani Ghosh
Favorite Book: The Lord Of The Rings
Currently Reading: The Evacuees
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-debjani-ghosh.html
Latest Review: Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

Post by Debjani Ghosh »

Time appearing as a handsome man - that's stretching the imagination a bit too much. I will pass this one. Thanks for the review!
kimmyschemy06

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

Debjani Ghosh wrote: 19 Oct 2018, 11:12 Time appearing as a handsome man - that's stretching the imagination a bit too much. I will pass this one. Thanks for the review!
You're welcome.
Book Lover 35
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-book-lover-35.html
Latest Review: VieVie La Fontaine by Linda Heavner Gerald

Post by Book Lover 35 »

I wonder what happens to Time. This sounds like a great book.Thank you!
:tiphat:
kimmyschemy06

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

Book Lover 35 wrote: 27 Oct 2018, 23:22 I wonder what happens to Time. This sounds like a great book.Thank you!
\you're welcome. It, sure, is great.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”