Official Review: I Am Not Gog by Matthew James Hunt

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Noraine Alissa Poria
Currently Reading: Bro Code
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-noraine-alissa-poria.html
Latest Review: The Making Of A Con by Grace Larson

Official Review: I Am Not Gog by Matthew James Hunt

Post by Noraine Alissa Poria »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "I Am Not Gog" by Matthew James Hunt.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Just because a person pulled the trigger doesn't mean he/she is the villain, sometimes the society is the one to blame. I Am Not a Gog is a book written by Matthew James Hunt. It is a story about a scarred middle age woman, who had experienced a lot of catastrophic events in her life. Lydia Japhethson is a polite and kind woman with a dark past. She was surrounded by a lot of wicked kids when she was still in college. Now, she is in her thirties, but the traumatic events from her past still haunt her. When a person from the past triggered her insanity, she went mad and planned a vicious crime. She made that person his hostage, but not everything that she planned went well, and one mistake leads her to another chaotic road. Will Lydia ever find her peace and get the life that she deserves? or will she always be in a road full of chaos and pain?

The story is told by Lydia's point of view. In the first few chapters of this book, the readers will have a glimpse of Lydia's history and her mental state. After the brief introduction and a little peek of her misery, the story has escalated quickly. Some scenes are intense; the others are bland. But the story was written really well, it has a nice storyline, with thought-provoking lessons that will make you realize a few things in your life.

This book is a masterpiece. A tragic story that everyone can relate. It will slap you with the reality of how wicked we can be. Also, all of the characters symbolize something; they have depths, they are us.  Lydia, the main character is an admirable woman. She is strong, polite and kind. She made a crime, but that crime was caused by the toxicity of our society. I am not justifying what she did; I am just simply telling the truth. We always punish the monsters, but we never blamed those people who made them.

The only issue that I have with this book, is the unsatisfying ending. I still have a few unanswered questions in my mind. Also, the ending is a bit lame compared to the rest of the book. It is like the author took the readers to the zenith, but drag them down again. It affects the whole book, and I am upset by it. 

I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. I enjoyed reading this masterpiece. I had learned a lot of lessons and had some realizations while reading this one. However, the ending crumpled some of those realizations that I had. The ending made sense, but it is really disappointing. Even though, I hate the ending. I still recommend this book to everyone who loves a character-driven plot. I am sure if you are into that kind of novels, then you will like this one.

I Am Not Gog
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Noraine Alissa Poria's review? Post a comment saying so!
T_stone
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-t-stone.html
Latest Review: Marketing on Fleek by Kobi Ben Meir
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by T_stone »

We do few unthinkable things in life; not just because we're happy doing them or derive pleasure in them, but because we're left with no other choice. I can personally relate well with Lydia's character in this book. I hope in the end her actions were justified. This is a good review.
Feeling upset sometimes may be unavoidable, but acting distressed is always optional.

Rob White
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

This definitely has a bit of an unfinished feel to the ending. I think you're supposed to kind of imagine yourself what might have happened. Thanks for the review. I found this quite an interesting story.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
NhkeiraT
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nhkeirat.html
Latest Review: Heartaches by H.M. Irwing

Post by NhkeiraT »

Wow. An extremely well constructed review. It definitely touched me.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”