Review by wairimu1 -- McDowell by William H. Coles

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
wairimu1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wairimu1.html
Latest Review: Isabella's Painting by Ellen Butler

Review by wairimu1 -- McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by wairimu1 » 12 Oct 2018, 10:59

[Following is a volunteer review of "McDowell" by William H. Coles.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Hiram McDowell is a high flying doctor whose career is ever on the rise. To the outsider McDowell is kind and charitable, but the ones close to him know better. He will stop at nothing to get what he wants. McDowell’s downfall comes when his grandson goes on a killing spree and tries to commit suicide after. His failed attempt at suicide ends him up in hospital where he dies under mysterious circumstances. McDowell is charged and convicted of his grandson’s murder.

In an expected turn of events McDowell escapes capture to live as a fugitive. His new status forces him to live among the poor stripped of any power and comfort. It also affords him a chance to cultivate the virtues he had abandoned for so long; his survival now depends on them.

McDowell is a story full of life lessons for the reader, it holds up a distant mirror to anyone who has anything in common with the protagonist. He is ambitious, professionally driven and doesn’t care too much about people. It’s a shame that McDowell is so familiar, many successful professionals don’t seem to care about people either. Can their kind be redeemed? You’ll just have to read to find out.

The characters in this book were all relatable and well rounded, especially Ann whose troubled life struck a chord with me. It was like watching an entertaining family drama unfold. Each of the characters had a distinct struggle; you are bound to find at least one character to identify with. Their stories come together seamlessly in this captivating narrative. I got invested in each of them and wouldn’t mind if they made a re-appearance in subsequent novels by this author.

This is my third book by William H. Coles. All his books bear a signature of rich multidimensional characters. As always, his plotlines are flawless and the story is rich and original, everything I expect from an award winning author. Through his leading characters I have learnt quite a few things about the medical profession and the inner workings of a hospital. This book will appeal to all fiction lovers.

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars, I found no grammatical errors and the book is very well edited. The narrative moves at a fast pace without overlooking any important aspects of the story. I was particularly impressed by the author’s depiction of McDowell’s transformation. I started out feeling one way about him but ended up changing my mind by the time I turned the last page of this book.

McDowell
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords

Like wairimu1's review? Post a comment saying so!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”