Official Review: Simple Simon by William Poe

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
ReviewerDiksha
Currently Reading: The Katharina Code
Bookshelf Size: 151
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reviewerdiksha.html
Latest Review: A Brighter Tomorrow by Lori Schneider, MD

Official Review: Simple Simon by William Poe

Post by ReviewerDiksha »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Simple Simon" by William Poe.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Simon Powell has had a very tumultuous life. Ever since he was a boy, he knew he was gay. Much of his childhood went by in the quest of trying to fit in the norms, in trying not to disappoint his family. Afraid of not being accepted as he is, he tried different things to change himself. All of this led him through a path of ups and downs that, in the end, brought him to a rehab centre for drug addicts. Advised by his doctor, Simon decided to write his story. Starting from the beginning, he jots down every event that shaped his life. All the happy and sad things, all the things he wished he had done, and all the paths he wished he had not taken.

Simple Simon by William Poe is the story of a man who wants to find a place for himself in the world. The book focuses on his struggles, as he goes through an identity crisis, among other things, and his attempts at “purging” himself of his homosexuality. Apart from this, the book also focuses on the themes of sexual abuse, addiction to drugs and the effect of religion in one’s understanding of themselves. All in all, this book is a mirror that reflects the problems in society. The stereotyping of children at a young age, the limitations put on what someone can or can’t do, the hypocrisy of people in high places- all these issues find a place in this book.

Simon’s character, his desires, and his vices are something that everyone can relate to. All of us have had a point in our lives where we questioned the way things are, the way we are. For Simon, that point has extended to a line of events that tested his sanity, time and again. Even though he is the hero of this story, Simon doesn’t come without flaws. As he narrates his story, he makes us privy to the fact that he was a different person back when these things happened. Most of the times, we understand his motivations, but some other times, the decisions he makes seem quite irrational. And all these things are what makes him feel so real. Homosexual or not, you will definitely connect with Simon on one level or another.

Simple Simon is a very well-written book. With negligible grammatical errors, it employs an interesting narrative to take us through Simon’s story. Every now and then, we come across a hard-hitting line that sums up Simon’s feelings about his situation. It is these lines that create a strong impact on the reader and compels them to think not only about what is happening with Simon but also, about the way they perceive things. There are a lot of eye-openers in this book. It is upto the reader what they want to take away from it because it has a lot to give.

My rating for this book is 3 out of 4 stars. Although it is a great book, it suffers from an ill-executed ending. It seems rather abrupt and a couple of things feel unresolved. An ideal rating would be 3.5 because the flaws are too minor in comparison to all the good things in this book. Also, a perfect rating wouldn’t be justified in the light of these imperfections. There might be some people who would be ready to overlook these flaws. I’d suggest everyone to read this book. It’s not just for people struggling with drugs or their identity as a homosexual. It is for everyone who wants to understand human behaviour in its honest form. Simon’s story will resonate with everyone.

Simple Simon
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like ReviewerDiksha's review? Post a comment saying so!
Caylie_Cat
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-caylie-cat.html
Latest Review: The Traveler's Best Seller by Rick Incorvia

Post by Caylie_Cat »

Thanks for this balanced and insightful review. It is not a book I would really enjoy, but human flaws and frailty is something we all struggle with. This honest account of a life will bring hope and encouragement to those struggling with similar issues.
ochijecinta
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by ochijecinta »

In life one must have experience or a story to tell, either good or bad. Life is a pace.
Kristy Khem
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Carmela
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kristykhem.html
Latest Review: Hattie Vavaseur by M. Rebecca Wildsmith

Post by Kristy Khem »

This book seems to target the people of today. We are evolving so much as individuals and also as a society, I think that many people will be able to relate to Simon and his experiences. Good job on writing a well-balanced and interesting review!
Book Lover 35
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-book-lover-35.html
Latest Review: VieVie La Fontaine by Linda Heavner Gerald

Post by Book Lover 35 »

Sounds like he had an interesting life. I like the cover. Great review!
:tiphat:
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

To me the ending can ruin the entire book. That along with the dark themes is going to have me taking a pass on this. No doubt that this is a book that needs to be read, though. Thanks.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Isaac 2
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Isaac 2 »

It is not a book I would really enjoy, but human flaws and frailty is something we all struggle with. This honest account of a life will bring hope and encouragement to those struggling with similar issues.
serendipity 27
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 286
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-serendipity-27.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by serendipity 27 »

Thanks for such a great and comprehensive review! This seems like such an interesting book with some very hard-hitting topics.
Give me the courage to get through this week...or at least a big bar of chocolate :D
HollandBlue
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hollandblue.html
Latest Review: It's Hard to Be a Vampire by Viktoria Faust
2024 Reading Goal: 24
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by HollandBlue »

A book about a homosexual boy and his challenges is something that I'm sure many can relate to in their lives. It's not a topic that I care to read about, and an unresolved ending would bother me even though I know life doesn't always tie things up neatly. Thanks for your informative review!
:techie-studyinggray: when I get a little money I buy books; and if I have any left l buy food and clothes
Desiderius Erasmus Roterodamas
(1466-1536)
Tpro50
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by Tpro50 »

I enjoyed reading your insightful review of this book. Although it doesn’t sound like a book I would be interested in reading, I do agree with your statement that we have all reached a point where we question the way things are and the way we are.
Ajayisola
Currently Reading: Snowman Paul at the Winter Olympics
Bookshelf Size: 34

Post by Ajayisola »

I'm so Much excited on this comprehensive review but one thing I learned was that, the life of single it is a necessary things in life that nobody could avoid today I congratulated those who are still single
Temidayo Omowunmi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-temidayo-omowunmi.html
Latest Review: Will of The Hill by Marshall Cobb

Post by Temidayo Omowunmi »

No one is perfectly made. We all have our other side. Being gay isn't a crime, can't wait to get this book.
Gee-Ruth
Currently Reading: World, Incorporated
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gee-ruth.html
Latest Review: Smith by Sam B Miller II

Post by Gee-Ruth »

Homosexuality is still a very sensitive issue where i come from. I will be sure to check out this book.
evan1995muniz
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-evan1995muniz.html
Latest Review: Escape by Mark Kingston Levin, PhD

Post by evan1995muniz »

wow, what a great review!. I am a part of the LGBT community and i know how hard it is to accept who you are in todays society. It takes a lot of reflection on your self to be able to be comfortable in your own skin. This sounds like a great book and deffinatly one that relates to a lot of people today, me being one of them.
jadelyne
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jadelyne.html
Latest Review: The Elf Brief by Jordan David

Post by jadelyne »

I think this book is great for a young adult maybe experiencing the same issues society has placed upon them so they may learn to deal and navigate those trials earlier in life before they waste to much time. Life is short and best to get the lesson early and out of the way and get to the happy experiences life has to offer.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”